Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
In line at a crowded airport Starbucks.... Two women get to the cashier and ask to see a menu. Oh no.

The cashier asctually has a printed menu. The two study and study and then one of them hands it back, pointing at an item saying "Can you tell me more about this one?" Of course, in handing it back her finger is no longer pointing at the item so the cashier has to hand it back trying to point and asking "This one?" "No, this one." Etc.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
The ones who love to pay with nickles and dimes.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The total for the order in front of you at the drive-thru is $45!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
The total for the order in front of you at the drive-thru is $45!
That would make me groan for sure and is one of the many reasons I don't use drive-throughs. Even when there are 2 lines with 2 places to order, it just bottlenecks further up the line.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
That would make me groan for sure and is one of the many reasons I don't use drive-throughs. Even when there are 2 lines with 2 places to order, it just bottlenecks further up the line.
I happened to be talking on my cell phone when I pulled into the parking lot, so I pulled over and allowed them to go in front of me, while I finished my conversation. I pulled behind them after finishing my conversation, and heard them still ordering, and then heard the total.

At the window, I sat there, not so patiently waiting, as drink holder after drink holder was handed through the window, and then bag after bag of food followed. When I reached the window, I was told that they would need to wait for my items to cook. That's the last time I allow a car in front of me at a drive-thru.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
At the supermarket deli, the ones who who order a huge amount of meat and they say "hmmm may a little thinner". The ones who are speaking on their cell phone and ordering something and taking a long time.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
At the window, I sat there, not so patiently waiting, as drink holder after drink holder was handed through the window, and then bag after bag of food followed. When I reached the window, I was told that they would need to wait for my items to cook.
Last fall, I attended an annual alumni event at my college fraternity house. Driving back to my hotel at 2am or so, I was a bit hungry. I guess being back at school had affected my brain, so I stopped at the drive-through at Taco Bell (it may have been the only thing open). The car in front of me was taking a long time to order. When they finished and I pulled forward, the person told me that they had placed a huge order that cleared them out of food (and would take forever to actually assemble), and advised me to just leave.

This past fall, I attended this year's edition of the same event. I can't remember how it came up, but at some point, talking to some of the undergrads, I found out that they had been the ones to place that order the previous year--dozens of tacos, burritos, the whole shebang. Evidently the last few tacos they had gotten were basically just shell and lettuce, as they had truly emptied out the store. The amusement actually made the previous annoyance worthwhile.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
Last fall, I attended an annual alumni event at my college fraternity house. Driving back to my hotel at 2am or so, I was a bit hungry. I guess being back at school had affected my brain, so I stopped at the drive-through at Taco Bell (it may have been the only thing open). The car in front of me was taking a long time to order. When they finished and I pulled forward, the person told me that they had placed a huge order that cleared them out of food (and would take forever to actually assemble), and advised me to just leave.

This past fall, I attended this year's edition of the same event. I can't remember how it came up, but at some point, talking to some of the undergrads, I found out that they had been the ones to place that order the previous year--dozens of tacos, burritos, the whole shebang. Evidently the last few tacos they had gotten were basically just shell and lettuce, as they had truly emptied out the store. The amusement actually made the previous annoyance worthwhile.
Yikes! At least they told you to just leave.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Scott in LA

I've never understood how these places run out of food. I pulled into a Tim Hortons early one morning, only to be informed that there were no donuts. It's puzzling to me.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
There's probably some maximum amount of food each outpost is allowed to have in cold storage at any one time- there's either spoilage or freezer burn at some point if you're rotating your stock, and even McDonalds likes to pretend that stuff is vaguely fresh when they serve it to. So it can take one abnormal unplanned event (ice storm, unexpected college frat partypalooza) to mess up what's often a carefully managed supply chain from central warehouses.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
I've never understood how these places run out of food. I pulled into a Tim Hortons early one morning, only to be informed that there were no donuts. It's puzzling to me.
Tim Hortons ran out of donuts???
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:29 pm
Suspended

I just [redacted]

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 16, 2015 at 10:54 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I recall from BamaVol Jr #1's stint at Taco Bell 15 years ago, the beans and beef had to sit in a warm water bath to achieve the right serving temperature. They don't actually cook anything there. They probably had plenty of ingredients just none ready to serve.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 11:27 am

Tim Hortons ran out of donuts???
Yeah, no donuts. And it wasn't even April 1st. It was about 3AM at a Tim Hortons a bit outside of Nanaimo, BC. The only thing they could offer was a danish .

I have also been to a KFC, a few blocks from a college campus, that was out of chicken.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
As I recall from BamaVol Jr #1's stint at Taco Bell 15 years ago, the beans and beef had to sit in a warm water bath to achieve the right serving temperature. They don't actually cook anything there. They probably had plenty of ingredients just none ready to serve.
That does makes more sense. I never really considered the whole prep process at a fast food restaurant.

To add: To make my post somewhat relavant to the thread. In line at a grocery store when an elderly person wants to price check everything and use about 100 coupons. They should have a special line for '10+ Coupons', just like a '12 Items or Fewer' line.
@:-)Maybe I should stop grocery shopping during the hours of 10AM to 2PM@:-)

Last edited by scottpenderson; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:01 pm Reason: Make post relavent to thread
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add: To make my post somewhat relavant to the thread. In line at a grocery store when an elderly person wants to price check everything and use about 100 coupons. They should have a special line for '10+ Coupons', just like a '12 Items or Fewer' line.
Anyone who uses 10+ coupons is also about to pay with a check. The checkbook doesn't come out of the purse until everything has been rung up and then they have to ask to borrow a pen and confirm the correct date and is it okay to write it for $10 over the total. Then they act surprised when asked to produce an ID and there is more fumbling in the purse to locate a drivers license and then a 15 minute wait while the husband goes out to the car to look for her license .....

Oh it's a slippery slope that usually ends up with me leaving my groceries on the belt and storming out of the store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.