Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:42 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I am at Starbucks today. Ordered my medium cup of coffee (after, of course, enduring to the "Would you like to try one of our trout-infused, almond-encrusted, creamsicle frappadoodles today") at the drive through. I pull up behind the car in front (which is already at the service window).

The clerk gives the driver several cups, which she hands to several folks in the car. Then I hear the driver say to the clerk:

"This is my first time at Starbucks. What sort of things do you serve here?"

Clerk attempts some answer that will be polite but move her along.

"What sizes do you have of your drinks?"

Clerk: "Tall, Grande, and Venti"

Woman: "And Venti is the largest?"

Clerk: "Yes"

Woman: "Must be 20 ounces, then, since "venti" means 20 in Spanish or German, one of those languages."

Clerk: Speechless

Woman: "Do you serve hamburgers?"

And on it went for five minutes.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I cringe every time I pull up behind someone at a drive-thru speaker, and I can hear them place a very large order, or when I hear the soccer mom ordering happy meals for each of her four kids, with the, "Johnny doesn't want onions on his cheeseburger. Little Ruthie wants onions, but no ketchup," etc. If you have an order with nothing but special requests, and you're ordering the fish sandwich in the Big Mac world, please, for those of us just ordering a standard meal, no special requests, not trying to feed a first-grade class, go inside to order!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
"I'm ordering for the whole office".

And of course it's off some handwritten list that was written by the person there with the worst handwriting of anyone and the person they've sent is unfamiliar with the place you're at and everyone has a special order.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:29 pm

I have six orders and six credit cards.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:20 pm
uk1
Suspended

"I promise you it's not contagious."
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Do you take checks?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
AT the DMV, 8 am in line for driver's test: "Bobby, you haven't been drinking this morning have you? You know we can come back another time."
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by kipper
I cringe every time I pull up behind someone at a drive-thru speaker, and I can hear them place a very large order, or when I hear the soccer mom ordering happy meals for each of her four kids, with the, "Johnny doesn't want onions on his cheeseburger. Little Ruthie wants onions, but no ketchup," etc. If you have an order with nothing but special requests, and you're ordering the fish sandwich in the Big Mac world, please, for those of us just ordering a standard meal, no special requests, not trying to feed a first-grade class, go inside to order!
+1. I am yet to make a special order at a drive thru.... Those that do are asking for their order to be wrong upon pick up.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Standing in line at the place where I buy a bagel and coffee in the morning. One cashier working. One customer in front of me.

Cashier: That will be $3.57 please

Customer: Pulls out $3 in bills...then 57 pennies...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
At least the customer got the amount right

I enjoy what you describe about as much as when the person in front of me slowly pulls out a fat wallet of cut-out coupons and then start trolling through them after everything is run up.

And then argues with the cashier because his/her ten-cent-off coupon for canned trout fins has expired.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AA LTP; SPG Gold
Late night at Wendy's many years ago:

Cashier: 'That will be $5.45'

Customer: 'Uh, don't have any money' (and already nibbling on the fries from the tray)

Back & forth negotiation for a few minutes, manager comes over and tells customer (who is probably homeless) to take the food, go sit down, and don't try it again.

Customer picks up the tray and as he's walking towards me gets the tremors, filled cup spills over, tray flips out of his hands, and his late-night snack lands on my shoes. Without missing a beat he just keeps on walking right out the door.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
The worst thing is when you've made up your mind exactly what you want, and the person in front orders it too. You get to the front of the line, start to order, and it's only when the cashier has pressed lots of buttons (table number/drink order/for here/to go, etc, etc) that they say "oh, he just ordered the last one. You can wait ten minutes..."
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(not dining related)

I'd like to pay my property tax with these dollar coins I got here...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Cashier to the customer in front of me: My allergies have been acting up lately.

*proceeds to lick fingers to open bags to put my items in. Wipes nose with palm

Cashier (fanning herself): Boy, it's hot in here.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

TSA: "How do you pronounce your last name??"

Pax: "Bin Laden"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.