Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Things you don't want to hear in front of you in line....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jakesideas
This got me laughing... I can picture the poor 15 year old kid on his first day of work trying to sort out the order on the other side of the microphone.
I know their order wasn't correct--they handed french fries back through the window.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 5:39 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
your in the queue (line) at the petrol (gas) station. the guy that was filling up in front of you comes back from having paid for his fuel, gets in the car, and just sits there, doing whatever, chatting to his friend in the car, checking his receipt, adjusting the radio, eating a snack bar...."HEY THERE'S A DAMN CAR BEHIND YOU "
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by tangey
your in the queue (line) at the petrol (gas) station. the guy that was filling up in front of you comes back from having paid for his fuel, gets in the car, and just sits there, doing whatever, chatting to his friend in the car, checking his receipt, adjusting the radio, eating a snack bar...."HEY THERE'S A DAMN CAR BEHIND YOU "
LOL, it annoys me too! That, or if I'm at the second pump, the person at the car at the first pump finishes, and there's no line behind me, I'll often wait until the first car pulls away to pull up to that pump, to be nice to others.

It seems like there are people who will intentionally take ages to pull away, waiting until you give up and start getting gas at the second pump! If you're done getting gas, and have paid for it, move away from the pump, please!!!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Cashier to person in front of me at Safeway, "Your food stamps expired yesterday."
??? Don't understand this one.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
??? Don't understand this one.
Someone who is paying with food stamps, which I'm guessing have an expiration date, who tried to pay using them, and was unaware that they expired. I'm guessing they probably had a very large order, all of which then had to be removed from the belt/bags, and restocked, and the order on the register had to be voided, which probably required a manager. This probably resulted in delays. When you have a large order and have most or all of the order already on the belt to be scanned, and the person in front of you causes delays, you're pretty much stuck. By the time you'd remove everything and place it back in your cart, only to wait in another line, you'd waste time.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
At a rental car agency: "sir, your license is expired". For whatever reason, people with expired licenses take it personally that you've noticed and try to argue/plead/explain why they should be given a car.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold

"Ooooh, sorry. My stomach must be acting up."
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:58 am

I'm bumping this after my visit to a Wendy's drive-thru last night. PUll up, and there's a mini van in front of me. I knew I was in trouble when I noticed those little "personalize your family" stickers on the rear window. Mom, dad, and 4 kids. I just somehow knew she was going to feed her army of tricycle motors with this order... The mother is driving, and begins to order. It starts with, "I want combo number 1, with ABSOLUTELY no cheese. I also only want these toppings on it. Did you get that, no cheese?" The person taking the order asks about a drink, and the mother repeats the absolutely no cheese and the toppings list again. The order taker states that she has that, and the mother has to emphasize again that she wants absolutely no cheese on it. She then proceeds to again emphasize the no cheese aspect. She then orders 3 additional combos, and 2 kid's meals, each one with a minimum of 3 special requests.

Her order was over $30!!! If you need to order that much food, with that number of special requests, GO INSIDE!!!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, US Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, SW Gold
At LHR security about 2 years ago, the guy in front of me refuses to remove shoes after being asked. After arguing with security he takes his shoes off, slams them on the belt, and then says (thinking he is joking) "GREAT, now your going to find my bomb!" This resulted with him on the ground with 3 cops on top of him arresting him and security being shut down for 30 min. What a moron.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by sailing1531
At LHR security about 2 years ago, the guy in front of me refuses to remove shoes after being asked. After arguing with security he takes his shoes off, slams them on the belt, and then says (thinking he is joking) "GREAT, now your going to find my bomb!" This resulted with him on the ground with 3 cops on top of him arresting him and security being shut down for 30 min. What a moron.
absolutely perfectly stated
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by kipper
I'm bumping this after my visit to a Wendy's drive-thru last night. PUll up, and there's a mini van in front of me. I knew I was in trouble when I noticed those little "personalize your family" stickers on the rear window. Mom, dad, and 4 kids. I just somehow knew she was going to feed her army of tricycle motors with this order... The mother is driving, and begins to order. It starts with, "I want combo number 1, with ABSOLUTELY no cheese. I also only want these toppings on it. Did you get that, no cheese?" The person taking the order asks about a drink, and the mother repeats the absolutely no cheese and the toppings list again. The order taker states that she has that, and the mother has to emphasize again that she wants absolutely no cheese on it. She then proceeds to again emphasize the no cheese aspect. She then orders 3 additional combos, and 2 kid's meals, each one with a minimum of 3 special requests.

Her order was over $30!!! If you need to order that much food, with that number of special requests, GO INSIDE!!!
Depending on the ages and/or allergies of them, I could understand this one. Not having to get them all out of carseats to go order inside to strap them back in might be kinda worth making you wait.

I'd also seriously recommend "this is water" by David Foster Wallace as a great read for most people on this thread.

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 11, 2012 at 9:27 am Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sailing1531
Reminds me of the classic scene in "Airplane" where they guy yells to his friend across the terminal "Hi Jack!"
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by bsaced
Depending on the ages and/or allergies of them, I could understand this one. Not having to get them all out of carseats to go order inside to strap them back in might be kinda worth making you wait.

I'd also seriously recommend "this is water" by David Foster Wallace as a great read for most people on this thread.
So, you're advocating that it is better for them to hold up a drive-thru line (not just me, but the other cars in line as well) rather than deal with the hassle of carseats? I understand that dealing with carseats can be a hassle, but they are part of the responsibility of having children.

As far as allergies and such, if the children have that many allergies and that many different kinds of allergies, perhaps they should not opt for fast food. There's a reason it's called fast food. If your order isn't going to be fast, then you need to do what you can to minimize how much your order will inconvenience others who are expecting fast food to be, well, fast.

The situation was annoying, in part because all I wanted to do was place my 2 item order, pay for it, pick it up, and go home. Had I been on a lunch break from work, the situation would've been far more annoying, because of the very limited amount of time I would have for lunch.

Shouldn't the family in front of me in the drive-thru line have compassion for those behind them in line and realize how their order impacts us?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by kipper
So, you're advocating that it is better for them to hold up a drive-thru line (not just me, but the other cars in line as well) rather than deal with the hassle of carseats? I understand that dealing with carseats can be a hassle, but they are part of the responsibility of having children.

As far as allergies and such, if the children have that many allergies and that many different kinds of allergies, perhaps they should not opt for fast food. There's a reason it's called fast food. If your order isn't going to be fast, then you need to do what you can to minimize how much your order will inconvenience others who are expecting fast food to be, well, fast.

The situation was annoying, in part because all I wanted to do was place my 2 item order, pay for it, pick it up, and go home. Had I been on a lunch break from work, the situation would've been far more annoying, because of the very limited amount of time I would have for lunch.

Shouldn't the family in front of me in the drive-thru line have compassion for those behind them in line and realize how their order impacts us?
Plus if both parents were in the car one of them could stay with the children while the other went inside to get the food.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Thumbs down Revenge taken on checkbook woman

I'm standing in line at Walgreens holding a case of bottles water. Order of lady in front of me is rung up.

Her: oh!! Let me fInd my check book.

Me: Sh*^#t!!

Her: stops looking for checkbook and slowly turns around. "I didn't do this on purpose."

Me: that doesn't change the fact that you are unconvincing me."

Her: mutters about my rudeness. And discovers she can't find Check book.

Me: oh Sh+^%^^t!!!!

Her: looks for credit card and swipes it. Announces to me proudly: I used my credit card.

Me: welcome to the 21st century.

She was pissed when she left. Now both of us had high blood pressure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.