Reload this Page >

Just when you thought sparkling wine could get no worse

Old May 12, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

The stuff you'll be served next might come from China, courtesy of Moet-Hennessy.

Seriously, I don't think it cane be much worse than some of the stuff (Chateau Ste. Michelle) that's served on some airlines. Drank some Chinese wines when KL had a promo a few years back and it was o.k., compared to cheap stuff from other parts of the world.

That said, I've never been impressed with Domaine Chandon stuff from California and Australia (Yarra Valley, Victoria). Haven't tried the Argentinean stuff and didn't even know they made the stuff in Brazil!
Old May 14, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I confess to not having drunk Chandon in decades, but I recall it as being astonishingly good when it first came out (circa 1980 in California). St. Michelle is another cheap wine that I regard as being well made (good price/performer). Perhaps these are wines that fare badly in the air? I've never drunk them on an airplane, prefering to stick to Krug when I fly.
Old May 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
St. Michelle is another cheap wine that I regard as being well made (good price/performer)...
Agreed. We're not serious drinkers of sparkling wines, but for us the fact that we can buy it locally for well under $10 a bottle doesn't diminish our enjoyment of it. Apparently at least some agree as can be seen here, here, and here.

Keep in mind, OP, that back in our youthful days in British Columbia Brights President was the height of decadence for us.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Back in my youth (late 70's) it was Giacobazzi and Riuniti for a cheap, sparkling wine buzz. I still remember the ad campaign. "Riuniti on ice, that's nice." Now it's French Pinot Noirs and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).
Old May 14, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by chugger1
Back in my youth (late 70's) it was Giacobazzi and Riuniti for a cheap, sparkling wine buzz. I still remember the ad campaign. "Riuniti on ice, that's nice." Now it's French Pinot Noirs and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).
^ Cold Duck and Cracklin' Rosie - this cries out for a Cheap Wines of Our Youth thread.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
I don't think it is made anymore, but in Canada, Andres produced Moody Blue in 1.5l format which was a sparkling blueberry flavored wine with a denim patch label. If I recall correctly it was "crackling" wine which meant it was 7% alcohol.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by chugger1
...and Belgian Abbey Ales. How our tastes change (for the better).
Duvel -- a Belgian idea of a Scottish ale, and far better; of course, it has to be (the Devil made me do it). But having the right shape glass is such a pain for airlines!!!! Making it impossible to serve Belgian ales in mid-air.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Blue Nun, anyone?
Old May 16, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alpha
Blue Nun, anyone?
Isn't that a still wine? At any rate, rumours were it was favoured by some now-late senior members of the British royal family.
Old May 19, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
seems like everything today is already made in china, so guess this shouldn't be a shocker
Old May 23, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Ripple and Club Soda! ^
Old May 24, 2011, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Fredd
Agreed. We're not serious drinkers of sparkling wines, but for us the fact that we can buy it locally for well under $10 a bottle doesn't diminish our enjoyment of it.
Here in France we can get a pretty good bottle of Champagne for around €5 or 6. Price isn't the only thing.

As for China, they have been making some very nice Cabernet's there for over 15 years now. French winemakers have been there for a long time. I've not tried their sparkling wines yet.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Duvel -- a Belgian idea of a Scottish ale, and far better; of course, it has to be (the Devil made me do it). But having the right shape glass is such a pain for airlines!!!! Making it impossible to serve Belgian ales in mid-air.
Quite a shame that actually, although I'm no Duvel fan, I do like a (preferably Belgian) beer on the plane.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
It all tastes the same after the first one.

Just gotta remember to drink that first one in a lounge...
Old May 24, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Here in France we can get a pretty good bottle of Champagne for around €5 or 6. Price isn't the only thing.
Where? PM if you want to keep it confidential. Never seen it that cheap even at small producers cellar door.

As for China, they have been making some very nice Cabernet's there for over 15 years now. French winemakers have been there for a long time. I've not tried their sparkling wines yet.
What brands are those?

More than a few French winemakers have started up in France. Climates similar to France and cheap labour so vineyards can be intensively managed and grapes can be harvested at optimal times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.