Wiki Posts
Search

Food and Drink Books

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Food and Drink Books

Apologies if a thread exists, but wanted to mention my current library book, which I think might appeal to folks: Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits - disclaimer that it's written by an American for (presumably) an American audience.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I just read a fun book called The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball. Kimball was a Manhattanite writer who was enjoying her city life when an assignment took her out to a farm in Pennsylvania. One thing led to another & she fell in love with the farmer. The two of them moved to NY to launch an organic CSA, and the book is her story of going from urbanite to modern-day farmer. (Though modern-day is a bit of a misnomer, since her husband has disdain for a lot of modern things--such as tractors--so they farm with teams of horses.)

It was a really enjoyable book.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
I read Boozehound earlier this year and found it a bit uneven, as there was no mention of Armagnac. This was especially surprising given that it was published in the same year that the B.N.I.A. (Bureau National Interprofessionel de l'Armagnac) had a year long celebration of Armagnac's 700th anniversary.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I agree that the author of Boozehound doesn't cover everything, but it's still fairly comprehensive.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.