Wiki Posts
Search

Most you've paid for a drink

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 1:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
...Macallan 55 usually sells for $2500/shot around Vegas bars. I've only sampled it. I might be tempted to buy one if it would finish the bottle, but that will never happen.
Really? I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 1976 (special bottling for the Concorde first flight) but have never considered its value (was told it was about USD 2000 a few years ago). When I last looked at good collectable old Scotch a decade ago, the whiskey store in London had many 50+ year old Macallans, etc. for $1000/bottle range, dont remember anything over $3000/bottle. Sounds like an investment that may be yielding 100% per annum.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Really? I have a bottle of Glenmorangie 1976 (special bottling for the Concorde first flight) but have never considered its value (was told it was about USD 2000 a few years ago). When I last looked at good collectable old Scotch a decade ago, the whiskey store in London had many 50+ year old Macallans, etc. for $1000/bottle range, dont remember anything over $3000/bottle. Sounds like an investment that may be yielding 100% per annum.
One was sold for £900 last August.
http://www.mctears.co.uk/auctions/lo...eferrer=browse
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by SFflyer123

Unknowingly paid: $26 for a glass of champagne. Le Cinq in the Four Seasons in Paris. They wheel out the champagne cart after we sit down, and they say, "Would you like a glass of champagne?" Of course, no prices are listed or stated.
We look at the cart, they have dry, extra dry, and rose. Knowing that rose wine tends to be cheap, we both order rose. Little did we know that rose champagne is actually more expensive than regular champagne!
We were shocked the bill came, and we had paid $52 for two glasses of champagne.
Something very similar happened to me at La Pergola Restaurant in Rome about 6 years ago. We arrived at the appointed time for our reservation and the table was not ready. The hostess directed us to the bar...and offered us each a glass of champagne. (Turned out to be Dom Perignon).

We drank them...then had a great dinner. When the final bill arrived, the champagne was there...and cost us (given the conversion rate at the time), $45 per glass! It really turned me off...and while I loved the food, I have told others that I can not recommend the restaurant just based upon this experience.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

OP - $30ish for a shot of Macallan 18 is about right for a bar price. The bottle is $200 or so at a discount liquor store.
Think you can pick it up for about £70 in the UK

For me the most expensive was a Napolean Brandy for about £30 in Malta. Not worth the money, certainly not over the XO they pushing at a fraction of that.

Originally Posted by phillygold
Something very similar happened to me at La Pergola Restaurant in Rome about 6 years ago. We arrived at the appointed time for our reservation and the table was not ready. The hostess directed us to the bar...and offered us each a glass of champagne. (Turned out to be Dom Perignon).

We drank them...then had a great dinner. When the final bill arrived, the champagne was there...and cost us (given the conversion rate at the time), $45 per glass! It really turned me off...and while I loved the food, I have told others that I can not recommend the restaurant just based upon this experience.
Gordon Ramsay's eponymous restaurant in London did this as well. It's set up deliberately to add value (for the proprietor) and make you feel like a bit of cheapskate for asking.

Last edited by cblaisd; Feb 10, 2011 at 9:08 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I don't feel so bad for my (I think) $15 effen black cherry with sprite at a Vegas bar now! For beer, I think I have topped out at $8 for a 12 ounce bottle.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just recalled I was charged $17 for a bottle of water in a restaurant in NYC about 10 years ago - I almost fainted!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Think you can pick it up for about £70 in the UK

For me the most expensive was a Napolean Brandy for about £30 in Malta. Not worth the money, certainly not over the XO they pushing at a fraction of that.
Excuse me, I was confused. Macallan 18 in the US is about $130-150. Macallan 25 is $200 or more.

I should start importing it!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:23 am

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
Smile

Originally Posted by janehoya
My story involves Macallan as well. A decade ago my husband ordered a glass of Macallan 25 at a restaurant in San Francisco. I can't remember if he knew the price. Well, the bill came and my aunt, who was paying, wanted to know what the $45 item on the bill was. My husband realizing it was his drink, got up and paid that portion of the bill.
had a 25 last week, in newport beach. cost me $50. considering yours was a decade ago, I now feel I got a good deal! very generous serving too.
best part was that the GM had to come over to price the drink, which seemed odd at the time. luckily he felt obliged to give me several samplers of other whiskeys to offset the price a bit. good night
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Originally Posted by sajgidda
Didn't CostCo used to carry Dom Perignon at very reasonable prices? $35 is a decent price, I think it's about 6 flutes per bottle so around $210 scaled up? That's not bad at all. I wasn't sure how much Krug is going for in the US but if anyone is interested this place seems to have it at the outrageously cheap $120 a bottle
Costco still does carry Dom. Last time I checked a bottle of 2002 was going for about $130USD or thereabouts.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:43 am
uk1
Suspended

Most you've paid for a drink

Several misunderstandings.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
My most expensive drink is $26 for something called a "Volcano Bowl". It was at a tacky, faux Tiki Bar place in the Village called Otto's Shrunken Head. It came with a ton of booze and a number of straws for me and my friends. Definitely worth the experience.
Looks like a "Scorpion Bowl" I used to order at the Huke Lau in Lenox, Ma. It had a crater in the center filled with sterno and came with 2 long straws so you didn't lose an eyebrow. We used to speculate that they used novacaine instead of rum because you couldn't feel your face after the first one.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
€16 for a Black Russian in Le Meridien Montparnasse. F*ckers didn't even put Coke into it. That resulted in a very polite argument about how to make a cocktail. I won. Coke was added, free of charge instead of the €9 the bar manager thought I should pay. I also brought the glass home FTW
Old Feb 11, 2011, 2:35 pm

IIRC $50 or $60 for scotch
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Babaduck
€16 for a Black Russian in Le Meridien Montparnasse. F*ckers didn't even put Coke into it. That resulted in a very polite argument about how to make a cocktail. I won. Coke was added, free of charge instead of the €9 the bar manager thought I should pay. I also brought the glass home FTW
Um, but a Black Russian doesn't have Coke in it. Nor does a White Russian. You'd need to go a couple steps further and order a Colorado Bulldog, to get Coke. Whether they'd know what that was in Paris, that's another story.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Um, but a Black Russian doesn't have Coke in it. Nor does a White Russian. You'd need to go a couple steps further and order a Colorado Bulldog, to get Coke. Whether they'd know what that was in Paris, that's another story.
Um, but a Black Russian does... in any bar I've worked in (UK/Ireland). Of course a White Russian doesn't - cream & Coke

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.