Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Soda & Ice Cream for a Float You Like to Make?

Best Soda & Ice Cream for a Float You Like to Make?

Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by violist
What I can't wrap my head around is anyone describing
the thing using the term "Grade A cream" in the first place.
Too verbose and too convenient for guesswork etymologists.

To me there's a bad odor about it, the same as with a
"rarebit."
While with modern dairy science nearly all dairy products marketed in the U.S. conform to USDA Grade A, that is to say the fluid was cooled to 40 degrees F or less within 30 minutes of its production, I'm not prepared to say that all milk sold in corner drugstores in 1900s New York was "Grade A."

Just because we take Grade A milk for granted today doesn't mean the term wasn't a selling point in 1900.

Last edited by mbstone; Nov 29, 2010 at 9:57 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I can imagine the drink described by the soda server as "med vit
ghred eh krem, vite es a behbehs boddum" - just not in the name
of the product. I can't offhand think of any food stuff specified by
a singled-out secondary substance so synecdochically.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Does anyone recall a fountain drink called a "500"? As I recall from my paid mixologist/"Soda Jerk" days (a long time ago, ages 12 &13), it was a large Coke glass, a squirt of Hershey's syrup in the bottom, stirred with a little milk, more milk to 3/4 full, stirred well, then a dip of vanilla ice cream floated.

Then there were "Phosphates", all sorts of flavor combinations using the row of flavor pumps and the pressurized carbonated water ("Fizz away, Flow back) spigot. I recall one customer, an old Doctor with office nearby, who was addicted to what was known a "Panther P*ss", a pineapple lime phospate, a squirt of pineapple syrup, a squeeze of fresh lime, filled with bubbly.....

A 'good" soda fountain was equipped with: Galvanized metal ice double lidded bin (big) filled from tall round canvas bags of ice supplied up to twice daily by a local "ice house", an ice-filled Coca Cola dispenser (containing Coke syrup and a carb. water line with measured blending), a double carbonated water pump, "basic: syrups, Dr. Pepper (in Waco for sure), Vanilla, Root Beer, Cherry, Strawberry, Pineapple, Chocolate (Hershey's), No Pepsi, the Coke dispenser provided free by Coca Cola in return for avoiding that soapy beverage, small tubs of chilled Sundae toppings, minimally strawberry and pineapple, cut limes and lemons, maraschino cherries, a small double crock pot with warm Hot Fudge and Caramel toppings, a small "malt" (powder) dispenser, a 4 stalk immersion blender for shakes/malts (w/ "tin cans" for blending), containers for chopped peanuts and pecans, and an ice cream locker with tubs of (minimally) Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and a few "variety flavors" of local preference, usually Banana Nut and Butter Pecan, Lime and Orange Sherbert. Add a bowl of bananas and appropriate glassware, especially the thin "bulb top" Coca cola glasses in 6 and 12 oz., and your're in business. I solicit additions to the mandatory and addendum listing!

There were supply companies which sold the entire set up of refrigerated bins with lids and punps, counter, stools, foot bar, mirroed bar back with counters and storage, and even wooden diuckboards for the floor behind the counter, offloaded from a single truck. Expansive soda fountains had full sandwich making facilities at one end, and on the bar back a Campbell Soup Company display with pug in heating containers and several varieties of Campbell soups and chili in single serving cans (opening and handling which was always a source of cut fingers for "Soda Jerks").

In the 60s/70s, during the rapid disappearance of soda fountains, antique dealers wandered the country looking for salvageable examples for sale to folks who wanted a soda fountain at home. They were one of the indisputable icons of US culture, worthy of preservation and use.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:33 pm

Add a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine and you've got the perfect home soda fountain.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 3:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Barqs Root Beer and Haagen Daas Vanilla Ice Cream. Or one from Sonic, they do a good Root Beer Float.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:37 pm

Coke with Ben & Jerry's Chocolate ice cream. Yum.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:59 pm

Thomas Kemper Root Beer, french vanilla IC with 3 ozs Bailey's Coffee
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by nerd
Diet Coke is fine, but in a float? That is some nasty shitt.

I prefer an Oatmeal Stout. Delicious, even with plain vanilla.
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
A good Vanilla ice cream (Ben & Jerry's is a possibility) and Young's Double Chocolate Stout.
^^^

I'm surprised to see fellow beer-float enthusiasts. I independently discovered the joy of beer floats back in college when I was in an esoteric beer phase. Until now I have never heard of anyone else enjoying the concoction. My favorite combo is Guinness (or another dry stout) with espresso ice cream.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Childhood memory - putting vanilla ice cream into a Fizz-Nik ball, then sipping 7-Up through the contraption - heaven!

Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TMOliver
Does anyone recall a fountain drink called a "500"? As I recall from my paid mixologist/"Soda Jerk" days (a long time ago, ages 12 &13), it was a large Coke glass, a squirt of Hershey's syrup in the bottom, stirred with a little milk, more milk to 3/4 full, stirred well, then a dip of vanilla ice cream floated.

Then there were "Phosphates", all sorts of flavor combinations using the row of flavor pumps and the pressurized carbonated water ("Fizz away, Flow back) spigot. I recall one customer, an old Doctor with office nearby, who was addicted to what was known a "Panther P*ss", a pineapple lime phospate, a squirt of pineapple syrup, a squeeze of fresh lime, filled with bubbly.....

A 'good" soda fountain was equipped with: Galvanized metal ice double lidded bin (big) filled from tall round canvas bags of ice supplied up to twice daily by a local "ice house", an ice-filled Coca Cola dispenser (containing Coke syrup and a carb. water line with measured blending), a double carbonated water pump, "basic: syrups, Dr. Pepper (in Waco for sure), Vanilla, Root Beer, Cherry, Strawberry, Pineapple, Chocolate (Hershey's), No Pepsi, the Coke dispenser provided free by Coca Cola in return for avoiding that soapy beverage, small tubs of chilled Sundae toppings, minimally strawberry and pineapple, cut limes and lemons, maraschino cherries, a small double crock pot with warm Hot Fudge and Caramel toppings, a small "malt" (powder) dispenser, a 4 stalk immersion blender for shakes/malts (w/ "tin cans" for blending), containers for chopped peanuts and pecans, and an ice cream locker with tubs of (minimally) Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and a few "variety flavors" of local preference, usually Banana Nut and Butter Pecan, Lime and Orange Sherbert. Add a bowl of bananas and appropriate glassware, especially the thin "bulb top" Coca cola glasses in 6 and 12 oz., and your're in business. I solicit additions to the mandatory and addendum listing!

There were supply companies which sold the entire set up of refrigerated bins with lids and punps, counter, stools, foot bar, mirroed bar back with counters and storage, and even wooden diuckboards for the floor behind the counter, offloaded from a single truck. Expansive soda fountains had full sandwich making facilities at one end, and on the bar back a Campbell Soup Company display with pug in heating containers and several varieties of Campbell soups and chili in single serving cans (opening and handling which was always a source of cut fingers for "Soda Jerks").

In the 60s/70s, during the rapid disappearance of soda fountains, antique dealers wandered the country looking for salvageable examples for sale to folks who wanted a soda fountain at home. They were one of the indisputable icons of US culture, worthy of preservation and use.
I love this post. I felt like a little kid again at the neighborhood soda fountain.. Thanks for the memories.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Dr. Brown's Cream Soda and a good Vanilla.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:06 pm

For Soda, the Genie Is Out of the Bottle

NYT Story

A small group of modern soda jerks ... are leading a revival that is bringing up-to-date culinary values — seasonal, house-made, ripe, local — to ice cream sodas, sundaes and egg creams. In the process, they have unearthed forgotten, delicious and possibly risky flavors like sassafras, phosphoric acid and teaberry, and have brought back taste combinations worthy of the most avant-garde chefs.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I like Orange juice and a good vanilla ice cream (Sorta like a 50/50 bar)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tonerman
I like Orange juice and a good vanilla ice cream (Sorta like a 50/50 bar)
I thought those were Creamsicles?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Still able emulated with some success today, the old "Root Beer Float" (optimal examples came from "XXX" franchised outlets, a frosty chilled mug nearly filled with "draught" Triple X root beer, and topped with a dip of good Vanilla ice cream.

"Root beer" mug from freezer, "Dad's' or another root beer of acceptable quality and a dip of Blue Bell "Old Fashioned".... That's a "Float"!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.