The cognac thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The cognac thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, BA Silver
I had a chance to buy a bottle of Cognac Lheraud - Vieille Reserve du Paradis at a very special price many years ago. To me this is still the most memorable cognac experience. The hand made bottle now empty is still in a cupboard... The current price of about EUR 350 is fair in relation to the quality, so if you have a chance to buy one, go ahead, you won't regret it.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by mlhm5

<snip>

http://goo.gl/i0OK5g

I have had both, the '74 is better and better yet if you are in the area is the '64 from below. I bought 4 bottles.

Domaine de Beauregard
Millésime 1980
Monsieur DAUCHEZ, 354 route de Beauregard - 40270 CASTANDET
Tel: 05.58.44.05.32
Armagnac is IMHO always a better taste for the buck, besides it almost always is a vintage, wheras Cognac always is a blend

Last edited by onobond; Mar 9, 2014 at 5:09 am Reason: deleting "fruit drink" :)
Old Mar 8, 2014, 7:04 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by htown
I'll have to get my hands on a bottle of Camus. Is the extraordinaire as expensive as the Remy XO?
It is a step up, price varies by country. I usually buy it in ICN duty free where it is often available "on special" for about USD 200. Remy XO is about 2/3 that price (USD 130 typically). Supply of the Extraordinaire is limited but well worth the price differential and difficulty of sourcing.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
The true lovers of congnac might kill me now but the only way I drink cognac so far is putting it in my coffee
Old Mar 9, 2014, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plissken
The true lovers of congnac might kill me now but the only way I drink cognac so far is putting it in my coffee
Yes, our Albanian hit men are on their way already...
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by onobond
Yes, our Albanian hit men are on their way already...
Armed with multiple bottles of Skenderbeu brandy they are going to make him drink.

Cheers,
T.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have a book "The Cognac Companion" by Conal R. Gregory (publ. Running Press)--it discusses various "well known" brands, and notes (based on tastings) how good some of them are.
Has anyone reading this thread, seen this book and if so, do you agree with the conclusions?
I've never tried any of the super expensive stuff, but Remy XO is one of my favorites.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the run for a meeting at LHR T5 BA FLounge, I noticed a new "tent" beeing the only Hennesy sampling station outside of Cognac.

I'll be heading out for departure much earlier than usual...

Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
I'm just getting into Armagnac. What should I be looking for?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, the usual thing in France; rather careless drivers and innovative parking habits.

Whilst in Armagnac, do get around to producers and sample their Vintage Armagnacs. IMHO a much more noble and priceworthy digestif than Cognac.

Select a base station like Auch or Condom to make excursions in this pretty small area, roughly 100 x 80 km. If you prefer a larger city with more restaurants, a larger selection of hotels, AND willing to spend an hour out and the same back, Toulouse might be your choice

A rather schematic map here just for the connecting roads and Les Terroirs. A good road map is invaluable if you drive yourself.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Just picked up a bottle of 18 year old Pellehaut. Got good reviews so I thought I'd check it out as the price was reasonable.

Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I'm just getting into Armagnac. What should I be looking for?
I'm just getting into this thread! But I do prefer Armagnac to Cognac. I used to be able to buy Louis for about 900 francs back in the 90's here in France. They would even have it at that price at CDG Duty Free! I wish I had invested in a few hundred bottles. I'd be rich now. I certainly wouldn't pay today's price even though it's a wonderful drink.

You can find very well aged vintage Armagnac at auctions at a good price. Or you can find run of the mill Hors d'âge Armagnac for free in AF lounges. Or for about €3 a glass at most any café in France.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know about this Armangnac? A close friend got it from his grandfather years ago and was kind enough to share it with me as he knows I am a cognac fan. He asked me what I knew about it but sadly my answer was zero.

Is this something special?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As it is posted above, alcohol does not age in the bottle like wine. So if the Grandfather bought it in the 70's, it's probably not that special. But if it was bottled in 2000's, then maybe.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
As it is posted above, alcohol does not age in the bottle like wine. So if the Grandfather bought it in the 70's, it's probably not that special. But if it was bottled in 2000's, then maybe.
Thank you. I knew alcohol did not age in the bottle like wine, I was wondering if that was a particularly special bottle. I guess it isn't, and I appreciate that info, good thing it's tasty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.