Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually ever said "Yes"? Stupid marketing gimmicks @ the drive-through

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually ever said "Yes"? Stupid marketing gimmicks @ the drive-through

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Yes, I did.

On one of my many trips to McDonald's they said "Hi do you want to try our new McChickenWings?"

"Whet the heck, sure."

They were awful
Old May 18, 2016, 3:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I continue to get so tired of my local Starbucks folks doing this upsell.

New twist this morning: I conclued my order with "That's all." The barista responded, "Ok, that's all. Sure I couldn't interest you in a .....?"

Argh.

WHY do they do this? It's so impolite. Anyone know whether this is a local manager insisting on upselling everyone, or is this a corporate policy?
Old May 19, 2016, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I continue to get so tired of my local Starbucks folks doing this upsell.

New twist this morning: I conclued my order with "That's all." The barista responded, "Ok, that's all. Sure I couldn't interest you in a .....?"

Argh.

WHY do they do this? It's so impolite. Anyone know whether this is a local manager insisting on upselling everyone, or is this a corporate policy?
I don't think I've been asked about adding anything at Starbucks.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:32 am

Ugh I did it again!

Burger King Chicken Rings are awful. There now you don't need to "Try our new Chicken Rings" like I did
Old May 19, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Burger King Chicken Rings are awful. There now you don't need to "Try our new Chicken Rings" like I did
They don't even look appealing.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Madone59
Unfortunately, it isn't real chicken. These rings, fries, nuggets, and breaded patties used for the original sandwiches are more than 50% fillers including breading. The only real chicken sandwich you can have is if you take a real breast, add your seasonings and breadings and either bake or deep fry it. Once you're done cooking it, put it on your bread or do like I do, and use leaf lettuce as my bread.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Unfortunately, it isn't real chicken. These rings, fries, nuggets, and breaded patties used for the original sandwiches are more than 50% fillers including breading.
I was never, not even for a second, under the impression that what I was ordering was or possibly ever could be described as chicken. I love Nuggets, Tenders, and Fingers of all shapes and varieties but am well aware of what they are and aren't
Old May 22, 2016, 7:10 pm

This is particularly obnoxious when it's extremely cold or rain is pouring into the car as the cashier drones:

"Hi, welcome to X! My name is Y and I'm delighted to serve you today! Would you like to try our latest nauseating and rather improbable combination of already quite unhealthy foods and faux cheese?"

"I'd like a plain biscuit and a small coffee. That's ALL, nothing else."

"Would you like to make that a combo with sausage, egg, and cheese for only $ more?"

Grrrr....

Who else insults a customer to his/her face like this?
Old May 23, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by dolcevita
This is particularly obnoxious when it's extremely cold or rain is pouring into the car as the cashier drones:

"Hi, welcome to X! My name is Y and I'm delighted to serve you today! Would you like to try our latest nauseating and rather improbable combination of already quite unhealthy foods and faux cheese?"

"I'd like a plain biscuit and a small coffee. That's ALL, nothing else."

"Would you like to make that a combo with sausage, egg, and cheese for only $ more?"

Grrrr....

Who else insults a customer to his/her face like this?
Anyone who has been told that if they don't follow the script they would be fired.

Seriously when I worked at a gas station, I was told that I have to ask if they want any refreshment before finalizing the order. It actually does work. I would say 1 out of 10 would buy something else like a pack of gum or soda... And yeah I have to ask that even if it is raining and they are standing outside the security window with the sliding tray.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:04 am
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
maybe i take the other side of this, though i hate the taped robo-voices.

suggestive selling seems to be a lost art. the whole point is to sell them something they didn't know they wanted.

back in the 80's when i worked at Domino's Pizza (when it was just pizza and coke) you could add 15-30% to the bottom line just by selling extra cheese and cokes.

my starbucks doesn't know anything about suggestive selling.

me: i'd like a venti mocha frap
them: that will be...
me: i'm not done.
them: ok
me: no whip
them: ok, your total is...
me: i'm not f(%ing done!

then not even a "will there be anything else"

losers.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It is getting to the point that checking out is becoming a lengthy interrogation.

"Are you a member of (loyalty program?) No? would you like to be?"

"Can I supersize that for you? Would you like to try our new (product.)"

"Would you like to donate to (insert name of charity I'd never heard of.)"

I'm under no obligation to answer their questions. When it happens I create for them an awkward moment. I go silent, become still and look at them with a neutral expression. Eventually they they proceed with the order.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Dave737
maybe i take the other side of this, though i hate the taped robo-voices.

suggestive selling seems to be a lost art. the whole point is to sell them something they didn't know they wanted.

back in the 80's when i worked at Domino's Pizza (when it was just pizza and coke) you could add 15-30% to the bottom line just by selling extra cheese and cokes.

my starbucks doesn't know anything about suggestive selling.

me: i'd like a venti mocha frap
them: that will be...
me: i'm not done.
them: ok
me: no whip
them: ok, your total is...
me: i'm not f(%ing done!

then not even a "will there be anything else"

losers.
That's not suggestive selling that your local Starbucks is lacking. That's letting the customer place their order without interruption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.