Reload this Page >

Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:08 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Walgreens or Safeway's Dry Roasted Peanuts are much better than Planters. More spice, more salt.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
They are probably made at a name brand competitor, or could even be made at the plant of the place you think it is better than, with different specs.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:37 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I know, and I'm glad
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
IGA raisin bran is much better than Kelloggs or Post.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:11 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Most cheap vanilla wafers are better than Nabisco Nilla Wafers.

However, no one seems to be able to properly duplicate a Nabisco Ritz Cracker.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Marriott Plat HHonors Diamond
costco canned tuna is much better than any of the name brands.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oxb
Most cheap vanilla wafers are better than Nabisco Nilla Wafers.
Have you had the Trader Joe brand in the plastic tub? Actually, many Trader Joe products fall into this category.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:26 pm

Nuts.

Milk, in fact most dairy products, except sour cream - Daisy is the only one to buy (compare ingredients).

I'll buy house brand for cheeses that get melted or combined in dishes, but only selected brands when buying cheese to eat by itself.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I really like the taste of Fresh & Easy Orange Juice.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
Have you had the Trader Joe brand in the plastic tub? Actually, many Trader Joe products fall into this category.
trader joe's is owned by one of the Aldi owner brothers. almost everything in aldi is house brand. the stuff in aldi usa is frequently imported and outstanding(the local stuff is quite good also).

when i worked around a tomato canning factory, in addition to del monte, they canned 3 levels of A&P brand. i think the bottom grade was sultana. there was no difference in quality between DM and AP. as the maggot counts went up, there was a shift to a lower quality brands.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:30 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
Yes, they are quite good as are the ones from Aldi as mentioned above.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
trader joe's is owned by one of the Aldi owner brothers. almost everything in aldi is house brand. the stuff in aldi usa is frequently imported and outstanding(the local stuff is quite good also).
Yes, the Albrecht story is fascinating. I am always pleased to find some of my usual German or French products at Trader Joe's when I am in the US, often hidden under a generic label.

I don't like ALDI in the US however, but it may just be the stores that I have visited. They are very different than the German ALDI stores (which differ too depending if one is above or below the 'ALDI line' )

And as to the OP, the nuts at TJ's are really tasty with a number of interesting combinations.

Last edited by exbayern; Aug 6, 2010 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: None anymore
Publix Supermarket labled items are =/better then the national name brand items 99% of the time. Even their deli meats/cheese stand up to Boars head.

Winn-Dixie = teh suck for store brands.

My #1 rule however is Kraft Mac-n-Cheese(powdered cheese) over any other brand period. The Blue Box is worth the 50 cent extra IMHO
Yeah I know it is trash, horible for you, makes Jesus kill puppies and eat kittens et al BUT damn so many good memories growing up on it

My #2 rule is T.G. Lee brand milk. Yeah it costs $1.50 to $2.00 a gallon more then the store brand BUT it is soooo much better tasteing. Next is Gustafson then Velda

I've been surprised that Dollar Tree has good store brand stuff. I'm talking staple items but still.

Despite my hate for wal-mart, they do have some good items.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:43 am

Archer Farms products at Target are frequently quite good, and better than national brands.
TBD likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:37 am

Safeway Private Selection spagetti sauce............

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.