FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1113140-foods-where-generic-house-brand-better-than-name-brand.html)

cblaisd Aug 5, 2010 9:08 am

Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand

Walgreens or Safeway's Dry Roasted Peanuts are much better than Planters. More spice, more salt. :D

Eastbay1K Aug 5, 2010 9:29 am

They are probably made at a name brand competitor, or could even be made at the plant of the place you think it is better than, with different specs.

cblaisd Aug 5, 2010 9:37 am

I know, and I'm glad :)

braslvr Aug 5, 2010 10:12 am

IGA raisin bran is much better than Kelloggs or Post.

Oxb Aug 5, 2010 11:11 am

Most cheap vanilla wafers are better than Nabisco Nilla Wafers.

However, no one seems to be able to properly duplicate a Nabisco Ritz Cracker.

fthrsdghtr Aug 5, 2010 2:45 pm

costco canned tuna is much better than any of the name brands.

exbayern Aug 5, 2010 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Oxb (Post 14428439)
Most cheap vanilla wafers are better than Nabisco Nilla Wafers.

Have you had the Trader Joe brand in the plastic tub? Actually, many Trader Joe products fall into this category.

deubster Aug 5, 2010 11:26 pm

Nuts.

Milk, in fact most dairy products, except sour cream - Daisy is the only one to buy (compare ingredients).

I'll buy house brand for cheeses that get melted or combined in dishes, but only selected brands when buying cheese to eat by itself.

CMK10 Aug 6, 2010 12:08 am

I really like the taste of Fresh & Easy Orange Juice.

slawecki Aug 6, 2010 6:04 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 14431065)
Have you had the Trader Joe brand in the plastic tub? Actually, many Trader Joe products fall into this category.

trader joe's is owned by one of the Aldi owner brothers. almost everything in aldi is house brand. the stuff in aldi usa is frequently imported and outstanding(the local stuff is quite good also).

when i worked around a tomato canning factory, in addition to del monte, they canned 3 levels of A&P brand. i think the bottom grade was sultana. there was no difference in quality between DM and AP. as the maggot counts went up, there was a shift to a lower quality brands.

Oxb Aug 6, 2010 8:30 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 14431065)

Yes, they are quite good as are the ones from Aldi as mentioned above.

exbayern Aug 6, 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 14432720)
trader joe's is owned by one of the Aldi owner brothers. almost everything in aldi is house brand. the stuff in aldi usa is frequently imported and outstanding(the local stuff is quite good also).

Yes, the Albrecht story is fascinating. I am always pleased to find some of my usual German or French products at Trader Joe's when I am in the US, often hidden under a generic label.

I don't like ALDI in the US however, but it may just be the stores that I have visited. They are very different than the German ALDI stores (which differ too depending if one is above or below the 'ALDI line' ;) )

And as to the OP, the nuts at TJ's are really tasty with a number of interesting combinations.

Flahusky Aug 6, 2010 10:20 am

Publix Supermarket labled items are =/better then the national name brand items 99% of the time. Even their deli meats/cheese stand up to Boars head.

Winn-Dixie = teh suck for store brands.

My #1 rule however is Kraft Mac-n-Cheese(powdered cheese) over any other brand period. The Blue Box is worth the 50 cent extra IMHO
Yeah I know it is trash, horible for you, makes Jesus kill puppies and eat kittens et al BUT damn so many good memories growing up on it :D

My #2 rule is T.G. Lee brand milk. Yeah it costs $1.50 to $2.00 a gallon more then the store brand BUT it is soooo much better tasteing. Next is Gustafson then Velda

I've been surprised that Dollar Tree has good store brand stuff. I'm talking staple items but still.

Despite my hate for wal-mart, they do have some good items.

wutdhec Aug 6, 2010 10:43 am

Archer Farms products at Target are frequently quite good, and better than national brands.

cotomom Aug 6, 2010 11:37 am

Safeway Private Selection spagetti sauce............