Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by cotomom
Safeway Private Selection spagetti sauce............
+1. I find Safeway Select pasta sauces to be sooo much better than the name brands, most of which are laden with added sugar/corn syrup and are overly sweet (to me at least). I'm especially partial to their garlic basil sauce. Whole cloves of garlic! How can that not be good?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Speaking of pasta, I'm digging Fresh Market's house brand dried bronze cut pastas right now.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Trader Joe’s nuts section overall is better than Diamond and planters. Plus lower in cost.

safeway organic crunchy peanut butter is pure peanuts / salt with zero other stuff and it’s better than jif skippy Adam’s and Laura scudder’s.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
As someone else mentioned above, I think Kirkland orange juice is the best.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by beachmouse
Publix's premium ice creams
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Private Selection branded Ice Cream at Kroger
Originally Posted by Steph3n
These are the same, just as a FYI

I live in TX and FL, and have shopped at both for years, the two brands are the same product with different branding...the company behind them is 'Denali'
That is not true.

According to this article, “Dairy products are one of the few Publix-labeled items that the grocer manufactures itself. It established a dairy processing plant in Lakeland in 1980 that has garnered national attention for its process, spokesman Brian West said. The plant processes one-sixth of the volume of milk from the state of Florida, meaning farmers have to milk about 19,000 Florida cows a day to meet the demand.

Plus, I have personally visited a plant owned by Kroger which manufactured its own brands of ice cream.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is not true.

According to this article, “Dairy products are one of the few Publix-labeled items that the grocer manufactures itself. It established a dairy processing plant in Lakeland in 1980 that has garnered national attention for its process, spokesman Brian West said. The plant processes one-sixth of the volume of milk from the state of Florida, meaning farmers have to milk about 19,000 Florida cows a day to meet the demand.

Plus, I have personally visited a plant owned by Kroger which manufactured its own brands of ice cream.
I appreciate that as I think Kroger's Private Selection ice creams are outstanding. OTOH, it's kind of funny to argue with a 10 year old comment.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I appreciate that as I think Kroger's Private Selection ice creams are outstanding. OTOH, it's kind of funny to argue with a 10 year old comment.
Ice cream is timeless.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Walmart orange juice, especially with pulp. Not from concentrate and tastes like fresh squeezed.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trader Joe’s brioche bread and sourdough sliced breads are really great for toast & sandwiches :-)
Old May 16, 2022, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Walmart orange juice, especially with pulp. Not from concentrate and tastes like fresh squeezed.
Is there a way to get it without going into that depressing dump?
braslvr and corky like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Is there a way to get it without going into that depressing dump?
we like the Trader Joe’s oj as well.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
we like the Trader Joe’s oj as well.
i had their grapefruit juice recently. It was delicious, but I haven't had any name brands in years so I have no basis for comparison.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by deubster
Nuts.

Milk, in fact most dairy products, except sour cream - Daisy is the only one to buy (compare ingredients).

I'll buy house brand for cheeses that get melted or combined in dishes, but only selected brands when buying cheese to eat by itself.
Daisy rocks! Once I tried it, I haven't bought anything else since, with one exception: I bought Breakstone sour cream on a BOGO at Publix and after I tried it told hubby "Never let me buy this again!"
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
As someone who buys store brand at every possible opportunity to save money I really enjoy Target's store brand grocery items. Favorite Day in particular seems to be a new Target store brand specific to cookies, ice cream, and other sweets and is really good.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
As someone who buys store brand at every possible opportunity to save money I really enjoy Target's store brand grocery items. Favorite Day in particular seems to be a new Target store brand specific to cookies, ice cream, and other sweets and is really good.
It’s probably for the best that their maple truffle cookies are a seasonal item because they are way too easy to consume in mass quantities

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.