Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foods where a generic/house brand is better than the name brand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bk3day
I've never been to a Wegman's but did taste a European Style butter that will be sold under their name, at this year's Fancy Food Show. It was pretty darn tasty!
I was under the impression that European-style butter was just unsalted butter. Am I wrong?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I was under the impression that European-style butter was just unsalted butter. Am I wrong?
wrong?...that sounds a bit harsh, how 'bout somewhat misinformed?

afaik, there's no actual technical definition for "European-style" butter. That was the description used by the rep at the Fancy Food Show.

ime, typically, "European-style" refers to a higher butterfat content than usually found in those butters produced in the US.

then again iirc, I've also seen "European-style" used as designation for cultured butter.

in any event, ESB can come in either salted or unsalted varieties.

fwiw, unsalted butter is also commonly known as "sweet" butter

hth...but my suggestion would be buy some (suggestions can be found in the butter thread) & see if you taste the difference.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:03 pm

Chowhound as well has a lot of butter discussions. I am sorry but without meaning to offend I don't most butter I have tried in America, salt issue aside. Butters have very distinct flavours although I cannot be more descriptive - the experts online have more detail to the variables.

I did try some Kerrygold (Irish) from Trader Joe's and that was very good albeit a very different taste to the butter I usually eat. I don't think however that TJ sells President brand anymore, which is my fall back if I cannot find Danish butter in the US.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:10 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've recently switched from buying Coke Zero to Kroger's Big K "Cola Oh!".

Coke Zero 12 Pack: $4.49
Big K Cola Oh 12 Pack: $1.99

The Diet Big K With Lime is also good.
I just wait til Coke goes on sale, and then buy it. Sometimes it will go as low as 5 (12pks) for $10. But I'll stock up anytime it hits 4 for $10
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:12 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Also.. I realize that Jiffy is a name brand... but their 50 cent (sometimes half that) cornbread mix kicks the butt of any of the more expensive name brands out there.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Publix Honey Wheat English Muffins

I love Wegmans and have lots of favorites from Trader Joes. But I can't find any English muffin that compares to the honey wheat ones I enjoyed from Publix during my time in Nashville. Those were the best. I'd drop one in the toaster and the whole office would be wondering what smelled so delicious.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:02 pm

For anyone missing Biscoff cookies, TJ sells them under their house brand now (look for a green packaging rather than white). This in addition to the various Jules Destrooper cookies they have been selling for some time...
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by bk3day
whole wheat pasta (one of the few I find edible)
I've yet to have TJ's (whole wheat) couscous clump up on the bottom, with as much as half going to waste - made a convert outta me!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Ralphs' Private Selection Ice Cream is absolutely top shelf. I prefer their Chocolate Ganache to Haagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's Chocolate. That it costs 1/2 as much is just a bonus ($4-5 for 48 oz vs. $3-4 for 14/16 oz).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:34 am

Waitrose sausages in the UK are really good...definitely recommend if you're in the UK
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:55 am

Waitrose bourbon creams are better than the 'original' too.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Ditto the Fresh and Easy Orange Juice! Puts god-awful Sunny D and others to shame...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by mcditolla
Ditto the Fresh and Easy Orange Juice! Puts god-awful Sunny D and others to shame...
Is that Waitrose? If so, good to know. I've never had OJ anywhere in Europe that wasn't a bad version of Hi-C.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Kroger Private Selection roasted and salted pecans are even better than the Trader Joe ones.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:25 am

Someone already mentioned Archer Farms at Target, but it deserves another. It's more of a premium brand with some unique items rather than a cheap generic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.