Search

Lactose Intolerance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Lactose Intolerance

I have a new gastro-doctor. About 4-5 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS (after suffering my whole adult life) and have controlled it with daily medication since. My new doc says maybe it's not IBS, but lactose intolerance. Easy to discover at home, he says.

I went 2 weeks with no dairy. You really have to scrutinize labels, but it can be done. Then I loaded up on my favorite ice cream and waited for the results. I didn't have to wait long. So now I buy Lactaid milk and cottage cheese and take a lactaid (contains lactase, the enzyme that breaks down lactose) pill with any other dairy I consume.

The benefits: I've cut a lot of fat out of my diet by eliminating most cheese, sour cream and ice cream, I've cut out a $92/month prescription, I'm more alert to what's in my food since I read every label on prepared foods, look at menus carefully and nutrition info online.

Downside: My fart production is off a good 90%. Mrs BV is a happier camper, but I miss them.

My biggest problem is finding any lactose-free dairy products besides milk and cottage cheese. Any help?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
While not lactose-free, yogurt and aged hard cheese (cheddar, Swiss) should be free or very low in lactose.

I think its still best to use a lactase pill prior to eating to avoid the bloating and gassy after effects. I am sure Mrs BV will appreciate the silence and respite for her sense of smell.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:02 pm

Wink

I'm intolerant of lactose intolerant people.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:47 am

keep in mind that there are two forms of dairy intolerance. lactose gets the most press, but there is another protein called casein that can be as bad or worse. worse not just in effects, but it's apparently acceptable for products containing casein to list themselves as "dairy free."

either way, looking for lactose-free dairy products is akin to looking for tomato-free ketchup. you are better off looking for soy or rice based alternatives. spend some time at whole foods or similar markets that carry lots of organics - they have the best selection and will give you a good road map for your options.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ssanto8403
I'm intolerant of lactose intolerant people.
lol +1
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
OP, are you taking any medications? It's been proven that certain medications will decrease the amount of lactase your body produces. In particular, aspirin is a culprit.

HTSC
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by BamaVol
My biggest problem is finding any lactose-free dairy products besides milk and cottage cheese. Any help?
Lactaid now makes lactose free ice cream and egg nog. I have not tried them. I do not plan on trying them. I'd just stick with the real stuff...and make sure that the head is nearby.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Downside: My fart production is off a good 90%. Mrs BV is a happier camper, but I miss them.
Think of it as doing your part to keep this planet from getting too warm.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
You miss farting ???
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:08 pm

Are you sure it's the lactose, not a reduction in fat intake (for example?)

Lactose intolerance can be tested for - does normally involve a colonoscopy though (and samples of the intestine taken and tested).

Oh, and depending on the type of IBS you have, you may find Calcium pills beneficial.

What drugs were you on?

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Apr 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:27 pm

Have you been taking probiotics as well? Lactase treats what you eat when you take it, but probiotics colonize your intestine with bacteria that help break down lactose.

Originally Posted by crabbing
keep in mind that there are two forms of dairy intolerance. lactose gets the most press, but there is another protein called casein that can be as bad or worse. worse not just in effects, but it's apparently acceptable for products containing casein to list themselves as "dairy free."
...and you'd know if it was lactose vs. casein since lactaid milk and lactaid would provide no benefit to someone with a casein issue.
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Lactose intolerance can be tested for - does normally involve a colonoscopy though (and samples of the intestine taken and tested).
there is also a hydrogen breath test.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
OP, are you taking any medications? It's been proven that certain medications will decrease the amount of lactase your body produces. In particular, aspirin is a culprit.

HTSC
It was called Levbid when it was first prescribed, but I was switched to another brand. I think the generic is Hyoscyamine. I've dropped from 2 a day to 1 and will drop it entirely when the current bottle is empty. I have been taking Aciphex also, but that only started a couple months ago and I will drop that when the bottle is empty as well.

Originally Posted by Rambuster
You miss farting ???
I'm a guy. It's something I was good at. I could almost poot at will.

Originally Posted by gj83
Have you been taking probiotics as well? Lactase treats what you eat when you take it, but probiotics colonize your intestine with bacteria that help break down lactose.

...and you'd know if it was lactose vs. casein since lactaid milk and lactaid would provide no benefit to someone with a casein issue.
there is also a hydrogen breath test.
I tried probiotics. No help that I could discern.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by gj83
not true. it's not uncommon to be affected by both.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: DL KM
The lactaid milk and cottage cheese are very good. The ice cream, on the other hand, is pretty aweful. Bought the chocolate, took one spoonful, and threw the carton away. YMMV.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kefir is great for people with lactose int.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

wife makes about a gallon a day.

indian restaurant cooking can give one a serious lactose attack. some cook with a huge amount of ghee, which is concentrated lactose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.