Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Lactose Intolerance

Lactose Intolerance

Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Sounds like i'm not too bad then.

I get an upset stomach and feel bloaty when I have a latte or something with a good amount of milk.

Oddly enough I have to eat a TON of cheese to feel sick. I can have pizza or say a sandwich with cheese with no issues. Yoghurts are fine as well, although when possible, I've been picking up lactose free version.
Even stranger, I can drink normal milk in Europe with no issues whatsoever. It's weird but it's nice to not have to worry.

When I'm home here in Canada, I just have soy milk. I still haven't been able to find a lactose free hot chocolate (if anyone knows of one please let me know!)
I find that with a bit of planning I can usually find a non-lactose or soy substitute. Worst case, there are lactose pills which generally work well enough.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I haven't eaten dairy products for 20+ years. Before I stopped eating dairy, I would get a stuffy nose within minutes of eating any kind of dairy product. I was living in Madison, WI (the heart of dairy country) when my body stopped tolerating dairy products.
It was probably the cheeseheads that did it to me.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by crabbing
keep in mind that there are two forms of dairy intolerance. lactose gets the most press, but there is another protein called casein that can be as bad or worse. worse not just in effects, but it's apparently acceptable for products containing casein to list themselves as "dairy free."

either way, looking for lactose-free dairy products is akin to looking for tomato-free ketchup. you are better off looking for soy or rice based alternatives. spend some time at whole foods or similar markets that carry lots of organics - they have the best selection and will give you a good road map for your options.
Apparently this is my issue. I have a casein sensitivity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.