Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you ever/often eat shrimp with the shells on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you ever/often eat shrimp with the shells on?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've tried soft-shell shrimp (from Thailand). Had them at a Japanese food trade show.
That's interesting. Is there some way of tricking them into softening up or is this a certain species? It doesn't seem like they would need to molt like crabs.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:27 am

I dont but the mum in law is a fan.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
My Vietnamese in-laws all eat them this way. I tend to peel them off first, but will eat a couple that way as well.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
good point - yes if the shrimps are fried to a crisp, or bbq'd crispy, then eating the shells is ok with me. for a few of them. anymore than a few shrimp shells then I'll start peeling them.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I'm very grateful for the person who taught me I could eat shrimp so much more quickly and easily.

Likewise for the person who taught me you don't have to peel kiwi fruit. I used to hate the hassle and bother and now I snack on them all the time.
No one has to peel a kiwi or eat the skin. You cut it in half and remove the contents with a spoon. It's like eating a grapefruit. If you buy your kiwis in a clamshell, sometimes there's a green spoon on the bottom wrapped in celophane. It has a serrated handle for step 1.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
In Seattle, I went to a sushi restaurant that served a live shrimp, shell removed from the body, antennas twitching . After you ate the body, the chef deep fried the head and you ate it as well. My wife thought the whole thing barbaric and was likely right, but it was delicious.
BamaVol Jr #1 came across the same thing at a sushi restaurant in Calgary. I had never heard of it before. I think they enjoyed the fried heads more than the raw shrimp.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BamaVol
That's interesting. Is there some way of tricking them into softening up or is this a certain species? It doesn't seem like they would need to molt like crabs.
Hi BamaVol,

Not sure if this link may help, but I'll post it anyway.

It briefly discusses the softshell shrimp industry in Rayong, Thailand.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I'm 35 years old this year and reading this thread is the first time I've ever seen, heard or, or read of anyone eating shrimp with the shells ... the more you know!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I read this thread before going to bed last night.

I dreamt that I was decapitating shrimp and deep frying body and head separately, a la a Japanese restaurant mentioned upthread.

The dream turned into a nightmare when I began to eat the heads raw, then pulling them out of my mouth when I began to gag on them.

Thanks, Flyertalk.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I read this thread before going to bed last night.

I dreamt that I was decapitating shrimp and deep frying body and head separately, a la a Japanese restaurant mentioned upthread.

The dream turned into a nightmare when I began to eat the heads raw, then pulling them out of my mouth when I began to gag on them.

Thanks, Flyertalk.
The dream dictionary says you are feeling powerless, possibly not being listened to.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:57 am
Suspended

If I wanted to cook the food, including doing prep work like removing the shells, I'd stay home.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:56 pm

Never, too scared to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.