Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you take with you on a flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 9:50 am
Original Poster

What food do you take with you on a flight

I'm looking to see what food item ideas you might take with you on your carry on to snack on either while you're waiting during a layover or on a flight. Jerky, cashews...etcs? Anything particularly that prevents/aids motion sickness even?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Usually the trail mix type of stuff.

If it's a long flight and I'm planning on making a meal, then maybe a sandwich, or the makings to make one

Last time I flew I brought a couple bags of popcorn I popped the night before to snack on, that was really good, light, didn't smell, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:50 pm

Motion sickness? First, take Dramamine, Bonine, or other meclizine antihistamines in advance of travel. Second, avoid greasy or spicy foods, as well as strong smells. Third, sit where you can see out the window so there's not a disconnect between what the eye sees and the inner ear feels. Fourth, drink ginger ale instead of alcohol aboard the plane.

As to what I take - usually I have a small bag of peanuts with me. If I know I'll need to eat aboard the plane, I usually go for Subway.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:44 pm

I load up on candy bars, peanuts and crackers. Sure beats airline food!!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by philltx
I'm looking to see what food item ideas you might take with you on your carry on to snack on either while you're waiting during a layover or on a flight.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Fresh fruit from the breakfast bar, or dried fruit from the store. Plums, cherries, blueberries and cranberries make a great antioxidant mix. I used to make my own beef jerky, but I’ve been watching my sodium intake.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 3:19 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk philltx^

I don't get motion sickness and unless the flight is longer than 6 hrs, I don't take on any food items only water (if I'm in economy). Even with flights longer than 6, I normally am fine with whatever the airlines are serving.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Most flights I take are well under four hours. At most, I will pack a granola bar if I think of it. If I am upgraded on a flight with a meal I don't always have it.

I don't understand the obsession with having to have something to eat while on a flight. It isn't that long of a time, the seating isn't very comfortable for eating anything but a snack. Yet I have seen people come on board loaded with large bags of snacks, take out from the airport fast food joints, and who knows what else and they eat the entire trip. Can't anyone survive for a few hours without a feeding? No wonder we are an overweight country.

Exceptions, of course, for medical needs, and I do like an inflight drink since the air is so dry.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
If I'm on a MR and expect to be in coach (or a regional jet in general), my laptop case often has raisins, granola bars, a banana, etc. In other words, healthier items that aren't off-putting to others.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by pogopossum
I don't understand the obsession with having to have something to eat while on a flight.
I think it has to do with a physiological craving of salt while in the dry environment of an aircraft. How many people do you see drinking tomato juice or virgin marys on the ground versus in the air?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I think it has to do with a physiological craving of salt while in the dry environment of an aircraft. How many people do you see drinking tomato juice or virgin marys on the ground versus in the air?
That's funny you should say that, my favorite drink on board is tomato juice, and I rarely drink it at home!

PP
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
If I'm in the back, I'll usually get some fast food. For me, it just seems like a burger and some fries fill me up right in the air, but I'll wash it down with some water instead of a soda.

If I'm up front, I'll usually grab from the complimentary snack basket.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I've never set foot in one on the ground, but TGIF has these great sandwiches that are more like a meal. On long-hauls out of the States I usually grab a couple of them and skip the food on board. For shorter flights I usually eat before hand.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by pogopossum
Most flights I take are well under four hours. At most, I will pack a granola bar if I think of it. If I am upgraded on a flight with a meal I don't always have it.

I don't understand the obsession with having to have something to eat while on a flight. It isn't that long of a time, the seating isn't very comfortable for eating anything but a snack. Yet I have seen people come on board loaded with large bags of snacks, take out from the airport fast food joints, and who knows what else and they eat the entire trip. Can't anyone survive for a few hours without a feeding? No wonder we are an overweight country.

Exceptions, of course, for medical needs, and I do like an inflight drink since the air is so dry.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
yes, intellectually i agree with you..but due to boredom and the psychological sensation of being "trapped" without food choices of my choosing nearby i think i bring food aboard when in reality it would be much better to wait and go to a nice restaurant upon landing.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Almonds, banana blueberry muffin, Lara Bars, Turkey Jerky, Almond butter sandwich. Obviously not all for one flight
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:52 am

If I´m flying from an airport that has an airside pizza place I take one to go. Who cares about the weird looks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.