Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you take with you on a flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Baby carrots, celery sticks, Clif's Mojo Bars, plain roasted almonds..

To the poster who was surprised about this: even for a three-four hour domestic hop, I leave the house nearly two hours before takeoff (assuming we take off on time). Then when I land, it's often at least another hour before I'm going to be able to get food outside the airport, often longer.

The snacks on the plane? usually too much grease/salt for me. Just not the kind of thing I eat at home.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Best surprise I ever got when flying was finding that my then-girlfriend had slipped a pack of crystallised ginger into my bag. Best airplane snack ever.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:41 am
roo

Programs: BD Gold, Hilton Gold
I always have some granola bars, and a slab of Cadbury's chocolate - the fruit and nut variety. I generally pack a couple of sandwiches for my husband when he flies.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
we BBQ some chicken breast marinated in Trader Joes Soyaki sauce, and then use the lavash bread to make wraps.............nicely packed in foil and a sidecup of the Goddess salad dressing.........combine with chips and a FREE drink on the plane..........you got yourself an instant F or Z class meal in Y
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a sandwich guy and I often bring them on flights. Especially leaving out of LAS Terminal D where I can hit Quiznos or PHX where I can go to Paradise Bakery.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Cashews, sour gummy worms, raisins. If leaving from my home airport, I try to make a sandwich or 2 at home and bring with me - pb&j, peanut butter/banana, or ham and cheese.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:02 pm

If its over 3 hours I bring something regardless of what class I'm in. Never get on an airplane hungry.

Peanut butter and crackers, granola bar, dried fruit, etc.
Lately I've been bringing a bottle of water so I can keep hydrated.

BW
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:08 pm

Something light, not too smelly and something that travels well (i.e. anything fried is out, anything that puts some moist ingredient in direct contact with a starch is out).

This usually means something cold, like a sandwich or salad. Hot food usually becomes kind of um, unpalatable when it cools down and especially when you reheat it (stewed dishes like coq au vin excepted, but I have yet to find an airport that serves decent soups or stews airside).

That said, if they sold Chipotle on board and made it right there in front of you, I'd totally go for it.

I always have a ready supply of food handy because I don't want to be making food decisions when I'm starving-it can only lead to complete disaster.

Last edited by stupidhead; Apr 11, 2010 at 8:19 pm
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
^ oh boy, I'd be all over Chipotle's burrito bowl....

However, I usually buy a bottle of water and a bag of pretzels or combos. If it's the morning then I just buy coffee since I'm not a big fan of donuts. Not a big fan of the bagels/muffins at Dunkin' Donuts and I dislike Starbuck's coffee...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:24 pm

I usually carry assorted nuts and oatmeal bars to eat when I am hungry, gum to keep my mouth fresh, and some hard boiled sugar candies to suck on during take-off and landing.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 6:19 am

i'm surprised no one has mentioned kimchi!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by crabbing
Pretty sure who ever brings kimchi on a flight that has no Koreans in it would be shot.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
What, and make the whole plane smell like gym sock? That's only acceptable on Korean Air or Asiana.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: American express green, Capitol 1 Visa and Discover
Originally Posted by ssanto8403
I load up on candy bars, peanuts and crackers. Sure beats airline food!!
I agree 100%.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: American express green, Capitol 1 Visa and Discover
when I go on vacation out of town I will stop off at my local bagel shop and get coldcuts I will bring Roast beef. a pudding and a soda for the plane ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.