Reload this Page >

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:44 am

Timely bump. I'll have to check out the Red Arrow Diner when I'm in Manchester next week.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL, BA
Blimpy Burger -- Ann Arbor, MI
-Super thin patties, nice quality buns. Quad is usually what works for me.
-Deep fried veggies are pretty popular, too.
-Must know how to order or be ridiculed.
-The burger is good, though I can feel my blood pressure increase with each bite.

Flytrap -- Ferndale, MI
-The homemade "swat" sauce is delicious and perfect on eggs in the morning.
-My favorites: dago red omelette and coffee.
-Friends love the fried rice and pho -- never had it myself

Brats Brothers -- Sherman Oaks, CA
-Really liked the swamp thing and cajun brats
-Still consider this second best in the area to Wurstkuche downtown.

Don Chow Taco -- moving truck, Los Angeles
-Didn't seem to be anything special
-Didn't like the fusion style filling, but the traditional carne asade was really good.
-Great prices, nice portions.

El Indio -- San Diego (near the airport!)
-Good food, good portions, good prices.
-Personally always get shredded chicken tacos.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Marietta Diner - Marietta, GA Over rated high class diner food. The place has gone down hill over the years, and it's pretty expensive. The menu ranges from Italian, to Greek, to run of the mill diner food. I think that it suffers from extensive menu syndrome - too much and not enough focus.

The Highlander - Atlanta, GA until recently, I had only frequented this bar as well, a bar However, after I had the bratwurst melt, I was hooked. Hummus is great, as well as pastarella sticks (pasta wrapped mozzerella sticks).

Arnold's Country Kitchen - Nashville, TN One of the best meat and 3's I've eaten. Go on Friday for the chicken and dumplings!

Savarino's Cucina - Nashville, TN Located in the Hillsboro Village part of town, it's a small unassuming building run by a family. Great home made pastas and great value.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by kyletrems
Hello went to " Tommy's Joynt " in SF in April....Was staying in Union Square & took the 10-15 min walk to this easy to find place. I had the brisket - which was great & also had a taste of the Burgandy Tips which were even better. One of my co-workers had the turkey and was not that impressed. Overall 2 out of 3 to the positive ain't so bad .....
OMG - you went to Tommy's Joynt and didn't try the buffalo stew?? Sacrilege!

(Although this does give you an excuse to return)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Diners, Drive-Ins and dives is a gastronomic tour of the finest American cooking.

Each episode is the same.

Deep-fry something to death, smother it in cheese sauce and then serve it up to a load of gurning lard-buckets.

I swear to God I saw a vegetable in one episode a couple of years back.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by mrbrad
Brats Brothers -- Sherman Oaks, CA
-Really liked the swamp thing and cajun brats
-Still consider this second best in the area to Wurstkuche downtown.
Got an email from groupon -- today get $16 worth of food for $8 from Brats Bros. If anyone was interested..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Diners, Drive-Ins and dives is a gastronomic tour of the finest American cooking.

Deep-fry something to death, smother it in cheese sauce and then serve it up to a load of gurning lard-buckets.

Sounds like you'd also like Man vs. Food, on the Travel Channel.

Might also help you come up with some new material. ^

Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:52 pm

I've been to Kuma's in Chicago and Alpine Steakhouse in Sarasota. I enjoyed both of them- especially the food and atmosphere at Kuma's. Alpine is fun if you've never had turducken before.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:34 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
The show was good for a one seasons but Guy is annoying after a while. The glasses behind the head annoys the hell out of me.

His cooking is next to .... like Rachel Ray. This guy makes my blood boil. Some of the .... he cooks is down right disgusting.

I am not sure if anyone saw that episode where he takes french fries put them in a wok which has cooked steak, veggies, soy sauce, and some other sauces, he mixes it up and pours all of it on a bed of rice.
The glasses behind the head, shows he has not grown up yet, still thinks he is a "kool kid", and the new TV show he has, what a looser....
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:36 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
El Indio Mexican deli in San Diego is a personal fave and has been for years. Great chips, and have never had a bad meal from El Indio. I used to stop in and pick up their fresh tortillas on the ride to the airport when I would head home from America's Finest City.

I wrote a paper about El Indio for an English class. LOVE that place!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:50 pm

Chaps Charcoal Restaurant - Baltimore, MD This place was featured on DDD, Man v Food, Chowdown Countdown (#63), etc. Although the surrounding area is sketchy (right next to an adult video shop and gentlemen's club), the pit beef which is what they're known for is incredibly juicy. I had the Raven sub (beef, turkey, corned beef) which weighs about a pound topped with their tiger sauce and it was absolutely delicious, as well as the home made rice pudding for dessert. Definitely a place to check out in Baltimore if you want to try something other than crabcakes.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
San Francisco: BAGDAD CAFE at 2295 Market St (corner of 16th Street, in the Castro District which is central and near all public transportation, if you're heading to this nifty neighborhood from a downtown SF hotel). Open all night on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays. I live nearby and always have their chipotle benedict bkfst special on weekends (mildly spicy with succulent chunks of andouille sausage cooked in the sauce)...

They also are known for their fresh-cut Kennebec french fries served all day. Sometimes, after work, I get a to-go box of those with a side of ranch dressing to take home yummm.....

Though they have all the other traditional diner items (pancakes, belgian waffles, omelettes), I don't remember if they reviewed the Chipotle Benedict on the show yet.

recommend it highly...

p
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:45 am

Red Arrow Diner, Manchester, New Hampshire. I ate here the other day and while my food wasn't anything to write home about it is a very cool place. I had a very large turkey sandwich that wasn't bad. I was looking at the plates as they were coming out of the kitchen and the portions are enormous. I would definitely go hungry. The place is also very, very small. I can imagine it would be impossible to get a seat during peak times.

On a sidenote, sitting a couple of seats down was one of the most bloviatingly obnoxious idiots I've ever seen in a restaurant. He was incessently hitting on the waitress the entire time with smooth lines like - "I just told you you look fabulous. Now YOU tell me thank you." I guess it's an occupational hazard of diner waitresses who can't get away from these creeps, but still
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Showbizguru

That's an incredibly shallow take on the show. While I agree they don't often feature healthy food (the title is Diners, Drive In's and Dives), they feature restaurants who offer fresh, homemade food. Very little of it is fried by the way and of the 4-5 places I've been to, the only fried food was outrageously great crab cakes and sweet potato fries.

Last week I ate at At Last Cafe in Long Beach, CA. Had a fantastic turkey sandwich which featured fresh turkey on great whole grain bread with homemade cranberry relish. It was fabulous.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I completely agree, there's no more fried foods on his show than any others. Name what respected cuisine/chef show that doesn't have an amount of fried foods? Every cuisine in the world for the most part fries some part of their foods. And what is the problem with frying again?
And this show is about good tasting food, not just some fringe diet that people are hip on. Simply taste, and every restaurant I have been too featured on this style of show has been pretty good, and luckily reasonably priced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.