Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Overrated Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Most Overrated Restaurant

IMHO, Tavern on the green...went there before joining FT and was HIGHLY disappointed!
Glad they are putting this dump out of it's misery!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091230/...n_on_the_green

There are several others I can think of...but this one takes the cake for me...how about you?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:35 pm
Suspended

The Fat Duck, Bray, in the UK where celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal has long since disappeared up his own food processor.
If they gave stars for pretentiousness this would win all of them.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bsdstone
IMHO, Tavern on the green...went there before joining FT and was HIGHLY disappointed!
Glad they are putting this dump out of it's misery!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091230/...n_on_the_green

There are several others I can think of...but this one takes the cake for me...how about you?
Agree. We went while on our honeymoon. Overpriced, horrid service, bad food. Was our first intro to NYC. Thankfully, the visit got better from there.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Agree. We went while on our honeymoon. Overpriced, horrid service, bad food. Was our first intro to NYC. Thankfully, the visit got better from there.
Agree? You do realize it was ME who posted this, right?

It wasn't our honey honeymoon, but it was our first trip as a couple to NYC...thankfully we only had appetizers and cocktails...and that was more than enough!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Agree? You do realize it was ME who posted this, right?
OOOFFFFFF
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not know that TOTG was ever that highly rated.

But, then again, I have never been there, and I don't think I know anyone who's ever been.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Well, I already panned it in the New England forum, but it deserves another shot...Sel de la Terre in Boston. Average boullabaise in a seafood mecca, average service on a Saturday night in a two-thirds full restaurant during one of the worst recessions in decades.

If you're really the "hot new place" in town and have the crowd to flaunt it, good on ya. 9:00PM on a Saturday and "Moon River" coming through the PA would fit the ambience? Work a little harder to "wow" me....
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach.

Actually, for those who like them, Joe's does have good quality stone crabs (they have deals with good suppliers). But the prices are wildly over-inflated, and the give-the-maitre'd-an exorbitant-tip scam at the front podium speaks for itself. And also, other area restaurants have similar quality stone crabs and don't treat you like dirt if you are not a sports celebrity or a politician.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

Actually, for those who like them, Joe's does have good quality stone crabs (they have deals with good suppliers). But the prices are wildly over-inflated, and the give-the-maitre'd-an exorbitant-tip scam at the front podium speaks for itself. And also, other area restaurants have similar quality stone crabs and don't treat you like dirt if you are not a sports celebrity or a politician.
One day around this time of year 10 years ago, my father, Mrs. Pickles, and I were walking around South Miami Beach, pretty much everything closed, looking for a place to eat. We come upon Joe's, had no idea what it was at the time. We walk in, probably close to 3:00 PM. We mosey up to the Maitre D' table, and get seated right away. We had a wonderful, memorable, albeit expensive meal. But just the surprise factor of running into this run-down shack opening into a very classy and unusual old-school restaurant with great seafood was enough to make an impression.

Afterwards, we told people we knew that we had eaten at this place "Joe's" and their first questions were "did you get in?" or "how long did you have to wait?" They couldn't believe we just walked in at the low point of the day with impeccable timing.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev

There are several restaurants on the Miami River that get the crab well before Joe's fresh off the boat every morning. ^

When I tried to get there in Dec the roads were closed and torn up, I sure hope the markets/bars there on the river stay in business.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
While this thread is certainly fine for OMNI, we do have a forum where it is perhaps more topical.

And the upside is that you also get post credit for adding to it.

Please follow in Dining Buzz!

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Went there once about 30 years ago and never went back in spite of living almost next door to it for many years. Awful food and service, but the lights and chandeliers were beautiful.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:49 am
In Memoriam

any Ruth's Chris
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by underpressure
any Ruth's Chris
+1 :-:

Any place that puts BUTTER on a steak needs to get sent on a trip to hades, ohhh wait they just did that to the steak!
I can't believe people like it so much, it is also near impossible to get a RARE or blue steak, that platter is just too hot and by the time you are ready to eat it is well done.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Le Bec Fin in Philly. The menu needs some serious updating, and the service has really gone downhill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.