Search

I Love Soup! - post your experiences & recipes [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 1:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I Love Soup! - post your experiences & recipes [Merged threads]

I could eat soup every day. And sometimes I do!

Todays creation is a vegetable concoction.

Onion, celery, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, & kale
chickpeas, lentils, and a little potato to starch it up
and seasoned with curry powder, garam masala, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and bay leaf.

And some crusty bread from the Vietnamese bakery up the street. YUM!

Do you love soup too?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like soup, but only on chilly/cold days.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:45 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I love soup and could probably eat it every day as well, but only if someone else concocts it.

My favorite of late has been a potato and leek soup from Central Market.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Do you love soup too?
+1 ^

Tomato Basil or any kind of bisque.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would agree with being able to eat soup daily. I had some with lunch yesterday...though sadly not today.

My favorite place for it is the San Francisco Soup Company at the SFO Airport. They do an amazing chicken tortilla that I enjoy sneaking into the adjacent RCC and adding crackers to.

Makes me want to fly up there right now just thinking about it.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I could eat soup every day. And sometimes I do!
I do not understand how you sometimes eat soup every day. Seems to me that either you eat soup every day or you do not.

Do you love soup too?
Absolutely! I love soup any time, but especially on cold, winter days.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Me too! I like the soup bar at Sweet Tomatoes or other buffets, so that I could have different soups as a meal!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:23 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I love soup as well and I can eat it all year round!! My specialties are Vichyssoise (cold or hot); tomato vegetable; french onion; chicken cream; and chili (not exactly a soup but.....)

At the local market there is a shop where a classically trained chef just makes soups and stocks -- spectacular soups.....
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Love soup too.

Last night I had a spicy firey hot (so much the waiter warned me about it because I'm not Indian)

Poondu Rasam- South Indian hot and sour soup made with tomato, tamarind, herbs and spices flavored with garlic (Very Spicy)

Half our freezer is full of little containers of soup we made, it's one of the top lunch choices, and having turkey on sale everywhere the past few weeks doesn't hurt.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I have three soup cookbooks and usually do a homemade soup on the weekend after it starts to get chilly here. Favorite ingredients are beef, cabbage and carrots, but any leftover vegies from the prior week's meals will find their way into the pot.

One of my alltime favorite restaurants is the Soup Kitchen in Oak Ridge TN where there's a choice of up to 8 different soups served with a choice of a half dozen freshly baked mini-loaves.

I'm getting hunnnnnngry.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Do you love soup too?
As long as it has no vegetables in any form. Plenty of meat, plenty of pasta of some kind, and plenty of spice. But no vegetables. Yuck.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mmmm, love soup.

Thankfully, two of my favourites are so easy and quick to prepare that I can eat them on a virtually daily basis:
Miso soup - although there's lots of scope for variation with miso shiru
Gazpacho Andaluz which got me through my pregnancy, without it I would have been hospitalised with dehydration, for a while it was the only liquid I could keep down.

But there are plenty of other soups that I will eat and prepare given the opportunity.
There really is nothing better than chilled ajoblanco on a blisteringly hot day (although the perfect recipe for this so I can make it myself still eludes me).

I'm the antithesis of Mafalda
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
Butternut squash soup - at the Wolfgang Puck Express cafes

Campbell's tomato rice soup, made with milk, and topped with crackers or shredded cheese - yum

Miso soup

Minestrone soup
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:24 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Mmm, soup.

I recently tried making a pea, pear and watercress soup (well, back in the late summer when the watercress was fully in season), which was a revelation - I'd never have thought of putting pear in a savoury soup, but it really balanced the peppery watercress nicely.

Otherwise, am a big fan of a (puy) lentil and bacon soup, or an old fashioned leek and potato, both incredibly easy to come by round here. There's a sandwich chain round here that does a 'chicken pot pie' soup, too - a thick chicken and vegetable soup topped with a pie crust. It works!

But the list of likes could go on forever. I sought out borshch and solyanka everywhere in Russia, and found a local wholesaler that does some great miso paste. And let's not even start on noodle soups, we'll be here all day.

Still to beat, though, is my (sadly long gone) grandfather's broth (probably known elsewhere as Scotch Broth, but in Scotland, well...) Homemade stock, mutton, pearl barley, red lentils, split peas, carrots, turnips, leeks...
Old Dec 4, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I make mostly Vegetable Soup these days, but also love butternut squash soups, chicken soup (only when someone else cooks) and my grocery store carries a great Red Lentil soup with a bit of spice to it that is great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.