Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I wonder if they signed some kind of distribution agreement that is getting them bigger reach. When I was in Vermont a month ago, we were able to get Grapefruit Sculpin in cans.

I've definitely seen more Ballast Point than I used to, although being in NYC I have always seen it at Whole Foods. However, they used to rotate some offerings in and out - now they always have Sculpin and Big Eye in cans, along with some other offerings in bottles.

Separately, had Stone's Ruination 2.0 last night to unwind at the start of an extended weekend for me. Really good stuff - the hoppy bite on the beer is more prevalent and stronger in this one versus the original, IMO. Big fan and will probably grab another bottle (not sure if it's a limited release or not).
I know Stone distributes a lot of the local micro/craft breweries around here (aka The Craft Brewery Motherland). So, if you are getting Stone and Ballast Point out there then that could explain it.

EDIT: Nope, Stone doesn't distribute Ballast Point. http://www.stonedistributing.com/craft-brands Oh well.

What is funny is my brother-in-law got me a Beer of the Month club 3-month membership for Christmas and all three shipments were of East Coast beers. Current shipment is Newport (RI) Brewery and Schmaltz Brewery (aka He-Brew). It includes a couple He-Brew Manna IPA which I have heard good things about.

Last edited by skunker; Jul 2, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by thelark
Very cool - will do! My wife seems to really like one of their wines and is indicating that we need to pick up a case.

I love Jai Alai IPA and wish I could get it easier around here. When I first moved up to PA, the local stop had it in stock and I was so stoked...I've never seen it there again. apparently they very rarely get it.
You're in PA?

We just can't meet this weekend--I'm in Ohio.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
kipper, can thelark get Jai Alai in PA?
I've never looked for it.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:10 pm

Pauwel Kwak – Special Ale

750 ml on clearance at random grocery for $4.00.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been in Berlin the last few days and I discovered something delicious at lunch today: Lemon Warsteiner. It's a really delicious summer beer. I picked up three to enjoy with dinner tonight.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
San Miguel........

Runs away from the thread......:-(
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
San Miguel........

Runs away from the thread......:-(
(Shudder) I have not so fond memories of living in Taipei and going to Hooters (don't judge) and drinking San Mig. Man that stuff is awful, but the entertainment was OK.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Stone Enjoy By 07.04.15. Well, it was in the fridge until today, anyway. I followed instructions.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
(Shudder) I have not so fond memories of living in Taipei and going to Hooters (don't judge) and drinking San Mig. Man that stuff is awful, but the entertainment was OK.
Wonder what happened to San Miguel? I used to drink it 30 years ago and it was pretty good.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:40 am

Double post
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Wonder what happened to San Miguel? I used to drink it 30 years ago and it was pretty good.
Its not too bad as a party beer and you cant taste much after the first bottle anyway.. Start with a craft lager( at double the price )

The 660 ml bottle was £1.25 at my local Tesco which is fairly cheap for a 660 ml bottled beer .
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
A little off the beaten track...

Not Your Father's Root Beer.

It's a "hard" root beer. An ale, mixed with spices to taste like incredibly good root beer. Just don't serve it to a kid!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I hope my in-laws have stocked the fridge with copious bottles of Innis & Gunn.
My in-laws don't disappoint.

It certainly wasn't the best bourbon casked beer I've ever had, but it wasn't bad. It's also interesting that they have switched to brown bottles.

I was also given a variety pack of BrewDog (the Scottish guys with the TV show on Esquire Network). The Dead Pony Pale Ale was very enjoyable on a warm, summer evening.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by phillygold
A little off the beaten track...

Not Your Father's Root Beer.

It's a "hard" root beer. An ale, mixed with spices to taste like incredibly good root beer. Just don't serve it to a kid!
I've been curious. I love a good root beer but have been suspicious. It makes sense to use an ale as a base. That allows distribution through a lot of retail establishments that aren't permitted to sell the hard stuff. I've seen it in the local Publix. If I spot one among the singles I might be tempted to include it in a pick-a-six.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My in-laws don't disappoint.

It certainly wasn't the best bourbon casked beer I've ever had, but it wasn't bad. It's also interesting that they have switched to brown bottles.

I was also given a variety pack of BrewDog (the Scottish guys with the TV show on Esquire Network). The Dead Pony Pale Ale was very enjoyable on a warm, summer evening.
The Innis & Gunn was a little sweeter than others I've tried in that style. I wouldn't pay $8 for a half pint, but that's not what they're charging anyway.

Currently getting over too much to drink on Friday night. I tried a glass of wine yesterday with lunch and had to give the second half to Mrs BamaVol. I hope I haven't done permanent damage.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Rivertowne Old Wylie's
Southampton Publick House Burton IPA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.