Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I am a hophead and proud of it! American IPAs are some of the most interesting / creative beers around, which makes it even more fun.

Added some Allagash White (a friend brought that over) and Ballast Point Dorado. I'm not the biggest fan of Allagash, but White is one of the better witte beers I've had. As for Dorado - was a bit disappointed. Dark and heavy like a double IPA should be, but very muddled flavors IMO. Disappointing compared to most of the other Ballast Point offerings I've had to date.

I finally got around to opening the Gigantic IPA I had - pretty standard hoppiness and flavors...not that impressed.

My wife booked a microbrewery tour this upcoming long weekend we're in Denver...think it will be like paradise (albeit slightly drunken by the end) for a few hours.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by thelark
I'm ~20 min from Wyndridge
The next time you are going to be there, let me know. We can meet there! I'm probably about 30 minutes from there.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dolcevita
There are some serious hopheads in this thread.
Me not so much; I am all about the pils.

I have two half-gallon growlers in my fridge, left over from a weekend party, each about half full, from our local brewery,Tighthead (our town doesn't have much, but it does have its own microbrewery ). One is Chilly Water, an American Pale Ale, 4.8% ABV, and the other is Irie IPA, a Chicago-area prizewinner, an Indian Pale Ale, 7.8% ABV. They are both tasty and delightfully fresh (for now), but I am not drinking them as fast as some might, because I can only take so much hop at one time. Might need a few rounds of yard work in the hot sun to finish them off.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
When did Ballast Point get so big that their flavored beers are in BOS and DFW?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

As for Dorado - was a bit disappointed. Dark and heavy like a double IPA should be, but very muddled flavors IMO. Disappointing compared to most of the other Ballast Point offerings I've had to date.
Felt the same way about Dorado. Didn't like it. But their Grunion? Very good.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Broke all the rules and went out on a Tuesday night so I could watch the US women beat Germany on a larger screen than I have at home. Yay.

Had a 20 oz Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. Some serious hops going on there. Cigar City is my favorite Fl brewery. I almost wish I lived closer to Tampa.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Broke all the rules and went out on a Tuesday night so I could watch the US women beat Germany on a larger screen than I have at home. Yay.
Good game and congrats to my American cousins on the win. ^

Tonight is a local golden beer aptly called Scona Gold by Alley Kat Brewery, a local microbrew. ^
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Good game and congrats to my American cousins on the win. ^

Tonight is a local golden beer aptly called Scona Gold by Alley Kat Brewery, a local microbrew. ^
I'll watch England-Japan, but I'm really looking forward to the final and hope the US women get the opportunity to beat Japan.

This game will probably call for a special drink as well. I have a few days to think about it. It may depend on who they play.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by skunker
When did Ballast Point get so big that their flavored beers are in BOS and DFW?
I wonder if they signed some kind of distribution agreement that is getting them bigger reach. When I was in Vermont a month ago, we were able to get Grapefruit Sculpin in cans.

I've definitely seen more Ballast Point than I used to, although being in NYC I have always seen it at Whole Foods. However, they used to rotate some offerings in and out - now they always have Sculpin and Big Eye in cans, along with some other offerings in bottles.

Separately, had Stone's Ruination 2.0 last night to unwind at the start of an extended weekend for me. Really good stuff - the hoppy bite on the beer is more prevalent and stronger in this one versus the original, IMO. Big fan and will probably grab another bottle (not sure if it's a limited release or not).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I was in Houston this past weekend and did dinner and a tour of Karbach Brewing. The tour is on par for cost with the Sweetwater tour (but you get more beer for a little more $$$ plus the pint glass) and the beer was phenomenal. I brought home some cans of the Staycation (a good, light "Mow the lawn" beer), Hopadillo IPA (citrusy and hoppy without being overpowering) and my personal favorite, the Rodeo Clown Double IPA. They don't currently distribute outside of TX, so I envision another beer buying trip in my future.

I also was in Chicago for a quick trip and ended up at Vice District Brewing in the South Loop. Good IPA, but I admit that I had a few vodkas beforehand, so my tastebuds weren't quite where they should be for an educated review

Anyone in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area have brewery recommendations?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by kipper
The next time you are going to be there, let me know. We can meet there! I'm probably about 30 minutes from there.
Very cool - will do! My wife seems to really like one of their wines and is indicating that we need to pick up a case.

Had a 20 oz Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. Some serious hops going on there. Cigar City is my favorite Fl brewery. I almost wish I lived closer to Tampa.
I love Jai Alai IPA and wish I could get it easier around here. When I first moved up to PA, the local stop had it in stock and I was so stoked...I've never seen it there again. apparently they very rarely get it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thelark

I love Jai Alai IPA and wish I could get it easier around here. When I first moved up to PA, the local stop had it in stock and I was so stoked...I've never seen it there again. apparently they very rarely get it.
kipper, can thelark get Jai Alai in PA?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Clearing out my fridge of remaining beers (Oskar Blues Old Chub and Fat Tire remains) before my trip to Sweden. Having some out-of-town friends over tonight, as well, which should deplete my stock to near-empty.

I hope my in-laws have stocked the fridge with copious bottles of Innis & Gunn.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond

Visit their tasting room next time you make it to Tampa. Jai Alai IPA is good, but they really make some great stuff that is so much better!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Visit their tasting room next time you make it to Tampa. Jai Alai IPA is good, but they really make some great stuff that is so much better!
I've tried a few. We have a couple bars with many taps that usually carry one or two in rotation. The only one I haven't liked much was Madura, but I'm not much of a brown ale fan so who am I to judge that one.

I don't travel much anymore but do get around the state a bit. I have a good excuse to visit Tampa - an old roommate moved there about 6 months ago. I just haven't gotten to it yet - possibly November/December when my busy season is over and I have vacation left to burn.

I'll be back in East Tennessee for a long weekend later this month - trying to figure out an excuse for a trip over the border to AVL to visit some of the newer breweries there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.