Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Not to derail this thread, but aren't all liquor stores owned by the state of Pennsylvania? Why do they need deals with distributors?
Yes, all liquor stores are owned by the state of Pennsylvania (Commonwealth, actually). However, Pennsylvania only sells beer at distributors and six-pack shops. Distributors can only sell cases, while six-pack shops can sell up to 192 oz. of beer in one transaction.
Originally Posted by BamaVol
This probably goes hand in hand with the opening of the second New Belgium brewery - Asheville NC will allow them to service the remainder of the east coast that has until now been denied.
Good point. It also gives me a reason to venture down that way sometime, since I've been to Ft. Collins.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Sierra Nevada, Racer 5 and Goose Island.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper

Good point. It also gives me a reason to venture down that way sometime, since I've been to Ft. Collins.
Last time I ventured across the state line, a couple years ago, there were maybe 8 good sized breweries in Asheville. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada were still in the planning stages. Today there are around 20 with another dozen in surrounding towns. I have visited at least 6 of the original 8 and found them all worthwhile. Highland was tops in my book - don't miss if you visit AVL. New Belgium is scheduled to open in late 2015. Ashville Brewing and French Broad have a great vibe. Look into the Brews Cruise if you'd like someone else to do the driving. And do not miss the Thirsty Monk bars which has 100% craft brew upstairs and 100% Belgian ales downstairs. And try to behave yourself while there. I certainly did not.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
Sculpin Grapefruit.

Need.

Want.
It's very good. 2 local places had it in stock recently, one with 6 packs and the other filling growlers.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:47 pm

Last time I ventured across the state line, a couple years ago, there were maybe 8 good sized breweries in Asheville. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada were still in the planning stages. Today there are around 20 with another dozen in surrounding towns. I have visited at least 6 of the original 8 and found them all worthwhile. Highland was tops in my book - don't miss if you visit AVL. New Belgium is scheduled to open in late 2015. Ashville Brewing and French Broad have a great vibe. Look into the Brews Cruise if you'd like someone else to do the driving. And do not miss the Thirsty Monk bars which has 100% craft brew upstairs and 100% Belgian ales downstairs. And try to behave yourself while there. I certainly did not.
I like the Brews Cruise idea... You know me... Do you think I'd behave?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by thelark
It's very good. 2 local places had it in stock recently, one with 6 packs and the other filling growlers.
Oohhh... I'd love to have a growler (of Sculpin Grapefruit).

They are transitioning over to cans, which I definitely applaud.

Last edited by mile ho; Apr 23, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Molson Black Ice.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
From Airways Brewing in Seattle,
I've got Avgeek, Seat Kicker IPA and Sky Hag IPA, (see below, I love the label on Sky Hag)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pswe5pcoqm.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...psrvx8jygs.jpg

ALso
Founders KBS,

Great South Bay Maple Bacon Stout and Snozberry Stout

Goose Island Big John, Bourbon County Stout, & Sofie

Green Flash Cellar 3 Silva Stout

Last edited by the phoenix; Apr 24, 2015 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
I like the Brews Cruise idea... You know me... Do you think I'd behave?
I worry that you would get carried away in a crowd of fellow beer-lovers as I have been known to do. At least the Brews Cruise gets you back to your starting point. What you do after that is up to you. I should have gone to my hotel room instead of hitting one more bar.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:37 pm

I worry that you would get carried away in a crowd of fellow beer-lovers as I have been known to do. At least the Brews Cruise gets you back to your starting point. What you do after that is up to you. I should have gone to my hotel room instead of hitting one more bar.
I would never do that.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by mile ho
Oohhh... I'd love to have a growler (of Sculpin Grapefruit).
My wish has been granted!!! 64oz in the fridge!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:10 pm

Asahi Super Dry. ^
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

Brewhouse Pilsner. Not a bad "value" brand. Been a tough month...
Old May 1, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stopped at Target on the way home last night for a few staples. I passed an endcap in the food section and there was a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a red close out sticker priced under $12. I checked the date - it was brewed in late February 2015. I have no idea why it was marked down. It's now in the beer fridge. ^
Old May 1, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took the kids by the liquor store for bloody mary fixings yesterday and came across an Innis & Gunn I hadn't tried yet so currently a 4 pack of Irish Whisky Finish in the fridge. Looks to be a seasonal.
I pulled one out and drank it last night. I failed to read the small print and was shocked when I poured this dark dark beer into my glass. Turns out it's a stout. Quite delicious, a little on the sweet side like all their beers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.