Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper

You depend on the servers to recommend a beer?

I expect more for a place with ale in the name.
With the explosion in craft brewing, when I am traveling, I ask if there's anything local in tap. I drank nothing but beers brewed an hour away in JAX when we were on Amelia island back in October. So I am in JAX and there is nothing local on tap. I expect to know almost nothing about the locally brewed beers outside a 50 mile radius of my home so, yes, I do ask the servers about anything I'm not familiar with. I may be spoiled but the servers at my local bar wear t-shirts with "beer snob" on the back and they ain't braggin'.

My reaction to Miller's Ale House was the same as yours to Steak and Ale - the names should be changed to "Millers" and "Steak".
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
With the explosion in craft brewing, when I am traveling, I ask if there's anything local in tap. I drank nothing but beers brewed an hour away in JAX when we were on Amelia island back in October. So I am in JAX and there is nothing local on tap. I expect to know almost nothing about the locally brewed beers outside a 50 mile radius of my home so, yes, I do ask the servers about anything I'm not familiar with. I may be spoiled but the servers at my local bar wear t-shirts with "beer snob" on the back and they ain't braggin'.

My reaction to Miller's Ale House was the same as yours to Steak and Ale - the names should be changed to "Millers" and "Steak".
When in doubt, I consult Untappd.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by brendog
Mikkeller has opened their sole US outpost right by the Powell BART stop. It's usually crowded with venture capital douchenozzles, but the beer makes it tolerable. Dancing Bear Brewery, right down the street, isn't worth a visit.
This just made my day. I'm staying at the Parc 55, just steps from there. I'm all over it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Smithwick's
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA
I mentioned to my friend who gave me the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold that two people on this thread had suggested I try Great Lakes Commodore Perry. Now I have two bottle of Commodore Perry in my fridge, thank-you presents from my friend for some home cooking. Pretty sure he got them at Mariano's as part of a pick-a-mix six-pack.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A fresh 12 cans of Sweetwater IPA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:53 pm

Ballast Point Victory at Sea
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Originally Posted by cubbie
I mentioned to my friend who gave me the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold that two people on this thread had suggested I try Great Lakes Commodore Perry. Now I have two bottle of Commodore Perry in my fridge, thank-you presents from my friend for some home cooking. Pretty sure he got them at Mariano's as part of a pick-a-mix six-pack.
Enjoy!

Just picked up a 4-pk of Victory Hop Ranch DIPA, and 4-pk of Fat Head's Hop Juju.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tuesday night's 7 beers for $6:

Wynnwood Rickenbacker Pilsener
Grayton Amber
Sweetwater Whiplash
Abita Wrought Iron IPA
Newcastle Brown
Cigar City Invasion Pale Ale
Bartender Mike's Homebrew (a pale ale)

I'm a little puzzled why a craft brewery makes multiple brews within a category. Cigar City, Sweetwater and Abita already have drinkable IPA's. Although, as it turned out, the Cigar City was my favorite and I would rate it quite highly. Bartender Mike is a busy fellow. Every week there are pitchers of one of his home brews, all different and all of them delicious.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I'm a little puzzled why a craft brewery makes multiple brews within a category. Cigar City, Sweetwater and Abita already have drinkable IPA's. Although, as it turned out, the Cigar City was my favorite and I would rate it quite highly.
I think because you bought them. Would you have purchased them if they were their other IPAs?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drwilliams
I think because you bought them. Would you have purchased them if they were their other IPAs?
I might or might not have. There were special circumstances involved. Tuesday's 7 beers for $6 are all bartender Mike's choice. I already have several cans of Sweetwater IPA in the fridge. It's a beer I like and drink regularly. I'm probably not gonna jump on a new Sweetwater IPA if I come across it in the store.

I realize that breweries like to experiment. I used to enjoy going to the Highland brewery in Asheville and trying the output from their mini-microbrewery - IIRC they have the ability to make laboratory beer in 5 gallon batches.

It's possible none of what I tried will be bottled, it may be strictly kegs for places like my local bar that have 50+ taps to fill and hunger for variety.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:29 pm

Stone Enjoy By 3.14.15
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by thelark
Stone Enjoy By 3.14.15
These are usually quite yummy. What's the 3/14/15 variety?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:59 pm

Gouden Carolus Tripel - I may have a new favorite beer.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA
Another present from my beer buddy: a bottle of Ommegang Brewery (Cooperstown, NY?) Abbey Ale, which I gather is a Belgian-style dubbel ale. He always tells me not to look at the ratings on Beer Advocate until after I've tried the beer, so I'm looking forward enjoying it with an open mind and a suitable thirst.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.