Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rolling out cookie dough

Rolling out cookie dough

Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Rolling out cookie dough

So I think I am getting pretty close to my grandmother's cookie recipe (actually, I think they may come pout even better than hers the next time!). I am planning on perfecting it over the next couple of months.

But, the one big problem I have is rolling out the dough. I just suck at it and hate it. I can never get it to an even thickness. I've tried the little things that go on the ends of the rolling pins - they did nothing to help. Does anyone have any other ways of cutting out cookies that either doesn't require rolling out the dough, or makes rolling it out easy? I have tried the sliced roll idea, but again I cant cut straight to save my soul, and the cookies come out as squished ovals.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you using a French rolling pin?
Old Dec 26, 2021, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Cloudship
So I think I am getting pretty close to my grandmother's cookie recipe (actually, I think they may come pout even better than hers the next time!). I am planning on perfecting it over the next couple of months.

But, the one big problem I have is rolling out the dough. I just suck at it and hate it. I can never get it to an even thickness. I've tried the little things that go on the ends of the rolling pins - they did nothing to help. Does anyone have any other ways of cutting out cookies that either doesn't require rolling out the dough, or makes rolling it out easy? I have tried the sliced roll idea, but again I cant cut straight to save my soul, and the cookies come out as squished ovals.
For cutting cookies from sliced rolls, have you tried refrigerating the dough or even to the point of almost freezing before slicing?

WRT even thickness dough rolling, there are some videos on YouTube that show how to use dowels or other items to support the rolling pin to generate a uniform thickness dough.

David
corky likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:11 am
Original Poster

The dough, when refrigerated, is pretty firm. The problem is I am a major klutz and all thumbs. So even when slicing, I just cant get slices that are even. I don't have much kitchen space for all kinds of fancy long equipment. I have tried some of the tips - the dowels just kept going all over the place, and the bands didn't seem to work. I think if I had a hue counter and a super long pin where I could extend beyond the dough it would work better, but I don't. I was looking at rolling machines, but pasta rollers are too narrow, and sheeters cost a fortune and I have no place to store it.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Cloudship
The dough, when refrigerated, is pretty firm. The problem is I am a major klutz and all thumbs. So even when slicing, I just cant get slices that are even. I don't have much kitchen space for all kinds of fancy long equipment. I have tried some of the tips - the dowels just kept going all over the place, and the bands didn't seem to work. I think if I had a hue counter and a super long pin where I could extend beyond the dough it would work better, but I don't. I was looking at rolling machines, but pasta rollers are too narrow, and sheeters cost a fortune and I have no place to store it.
Would something like this work to cut the refrigerated dough?
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Would something like this work to cut the refrigerated dough?
I dont think a mandolin or V slicer would work with dough.
OP...are you trying to roll out too big of a piece ? Once you have your dough made, cut into 2 or 3 balls and only roll out one at a time while the others stay refrigerated. A small piece is easier to work woth. If you are using a French pin, switch to the other kind.
If you are using a log of dough to cut into slices, lay it next to a ruler & mark the distances.
or give up and make drop or bar cookies.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by corky
I dont think a mandolin or V slicer would work with dough.
OP...are you trying to roll out too big of a piece ? Once you have your dough made, cut into 2 or 3 balls and only roll out one at a time while the others stay refrigerated. A small piece is easier to work woth. If you are using a French pin, switch to the other kind.
If you are using a log of dough to cut into slices, lay it next to a ruler & mark the distances.
or give up and make drop or bar cookies.
I was thinking if the OP could get the dough nice and firm through refrigerating it, it might work, especially with small portions of dough.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking if the OP could get the dough nice and firm through refrigerating it, it might work, especially with small portions of dough.
They can try it but I think it would crumble even if firmly chilled.
I am not really understanding what the Op wants to make...cookies cut with cookie cutters or just sliced cookies. And who cares if it is oval shaped rather than round (if that is the problem with slicing them). Of course the knife needs to be super sharp and maybe dipped in water between slices if it sticks.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Plat
For slicing rounds from a cylindrical log of dough, use a piece of dental floss (unflavored!!). Put it under the log and cross over the top and pull on the ends in opposite directions. This applies equal circumferential force and results in round slices! Also you can floss your teeth afterwards for improved dental hygiene =)

For cutout cookies, roll the dough on a piece of parchment, put the dough/parchment on a baking sheet, and chill. Cut out the shapes (still on the parchment/baking sheet) and remove the negative space (the "excess dough") so you don't have to transfer the cutout cookies to a baking sheet. Chilling again prior to baking helps maintain the shape of the cookie but most of the time I'm too lazy to do this.
corky likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

If anything the dough is too hard, not too soft.

But the real issue isn't the shape, it's the even th9ickness of the slices. I can't get the dough to roll out even thickness, and when I slice, they always comes out thinner on one side than the other. The result is that part of the cookie over bakes.

I have not tried a mandolin using rolled up dough. I might try that if I can find a cheap enough one to try it out with. I think this dough might be form enough.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chococat
For slicing rounds from a cylindrical log of dough, use a piece of dental floss (unflavored!!). Put it under the log and cross over the top and pull on the ends in opposite directions. This applies equal circumferential force and results in round slices! Also you can floss your teeth afterwards for improved dental hygiene =)

For cutout cookies, roll the dough on a piece of parchment, put the dough/parchment on a baking sheet, and chill. Cut out the shapes (still on the parchment/baking sheet) and remove the negative space (the "excess dough") so you don't have to transfer the cutout cookies to a baking sheet. Chilling again prior to baking helps maintain the shape of the cookie but most of the time I'm too lazy to do this.
Good idea...dental floss is also very useful for slicing goat cheese logs.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
OP: Your responses are confusing.

It is not clear if your issues are with a) dough logs or b) cutout cookies or c) both.

If it is with b) cutout cookies, here's one way of evenly rolling out your dough:

David
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by DELee
OP: Your responses are confusing.

It is not clear if your issues are with a) dough logs or b) cutout cookies or c) both.

If it is with b) cutout cookies, here's one way of evenly rolling out your dough:

https://youtu.be/6TVaLrzqe9A

David
I think the OP has tried rolling out the dough and also has tried simply rolling it into logs and then cutting it. Some doughs allow you to do either.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I think the OP has tried rolling out the dough and also has tried simply rolling it into logs and then cutting it. Some doughs allow you to do either.
Correct. Actually, the dough I am using was, in the original recipe, designed for use in a cookie press. It's a pretty firm dough, you can roll it out and cut it, or form it into a log and slice it.

I have seen the above video. I guess I am just too much of a klutz, because when I try that, the dowels never stay in place, I up with a hump or a depression in the center, and it gets stuck on teh wax paper and I end up with pulled apart cookies.

I think i am going to just go with the sliced dough idea and try the mandolin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.