Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:43 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/10.2.012; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) WicKed/7.1.12344)

Patagonia Amber Lager
Grolsch
Quilmes Imperial
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by Kohoutek
The National Beer of Texas - Lone Star Beer...snip, snip.....
It's been a long while since Lone Star could even pretend to be the "National Beer of Texas", and even then, connoisseurs drank "Pearl" from the land of 1000 springs and one large open sewer.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
It's been a long while since Lone Star could even pretend to be the "National Beer of Texas", and even then, connoisseurs drank "Pearl" from the land of 1000 springs and one large open sewer.
"It's a Texas Thing", what would you know? I am unable to find if Lone Star owns the trademark to the "National Beer of Texas", but they, and only they use this slogan. Pearl drinkers (aka goat ropers) drifted off to Coors, when Coors became available in Texas.

Lone Star Beer: "Texas Gold in Every Bottle"

Not a girly-man beer like Shiner.

Last edited by Kohoutek; Nov 29, 2009 at 2:33 pm Reason: added "goat ropers" reference
Old Nov 29, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Just picked up an Alesmith Wee Heavy Scotch Ale. Can't wait to try it but at 750ml that's gonna have to wait.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA PRE EX, HH Diamond
Since I dont consider the food I eat or the fluids I drink a social status thing, I have a nice variety of beers. Plus my wife works at her dad's wine store so I can get anything I want. In fact I rotate Rogue beers in quarter kegs at my house. I store a lot of bottles in my cellar. Mostly stouts which arent suppose to be served cold.

Lawnmower beers:
Miller High Life, Coors Light

From Rogue (personal favorite):
Rogue Dead Guy, Double Dead Guy, Yellowsnow IPA, Brutal Bitter, Jazz Guy Ale

From Stone:
Stone Arrogant ......., Double ......., Oaked ......., Ruination IPA

Varieties (always changing):
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
Guinness (can)
Rochefort 8,10
Allagash White, Grand Cru
Saisson Dupont
New Glarus Spotted cow I smuggled home from Wisconsin
Entire Butt
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Ridgeway Seriously Bad Elf
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Yards Pennsylvania Pale Ale. A little sweet but drinkable. I probably won't buy it again.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airport_monkey
Since I dont consider the food I eat or the fluids I drink a social status thing, I have a nice variety of beers. Plus my wife works at her dad's wine store so I can get anything I want. In fact I rotate Rogue beers in quarter kegs at my house. I store a lot of bottles in my cellar. Mostly stouts which arent suppose to be served cold.

Lawnmower beers:
Miller High Life, Coors Light

From Rogue (personal favorite):
Rogue Dead Guy, Double Dead Guy, Yellowsnow IPA, Brutal Bitter, Jazz Guy Ale

From Stone:
Stone Arrogant ......., Double ......., Oaked ......., Ruination IPA

Varieties (always changing):
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
Guinness (can)
Rochefort 8,10
Allagash White, Grand Cru
Saisson Dupont
New Glarus Spotted cow I smuggled home from Wisconsin
Entire Butt
Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Ridgeway Seriously Bad Elf

Great selection - especially the Rochefort.Fantastic beer.

I'm not sure about the idea that any stout shouldn't be served cold.It's highly unlikely, for instance, that you'd be served a Youngs Double Chocolate stout in a London pub that wasn't from a fridge, especially in a Youngs pub.

But, of course, it's all a matter of taste. I remember when Guinness launched Guinness Extra Cold in Irish pubs. It was so cold it hurt your sinuses going down and completely destroyed the taste of the stout.It didn't last long.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I'll mention an addition to my beer fridge since my last post on the subject; over Thanksgiving I got a couple of bottles of Life & Limb, the collaboration between the Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head breweries. One's going to stay in the fridge a while to see how it ages. The other bottle -- well, it's empty and in the recycle bin.

It's an excellent beer but Life & Limb doesn't really fit any style that I can think of. A strong, slightly sweet and earthy dark ale that's 10.2% ABV, it has the Cascade hops flavor I'd expect from a Sierra Nevada product and the "what IS this I'm tasting" good weirdness I'd expect from DFH.

Collaborations on one-shot beers are a bit of a fad among craft brewers right now but this was one of the more intriguing. The folks at Sierra Nevada are purists; if there was a U.S. version of the German Reinheitsgebot beer purity law I'd expect them to be among it's strongest advocates. Dogfish Head, on the other hand...well, back in September those Delawarians were one of three breweries hosting a Denver beer tasting titled "Up Your Reinheitsgebot". Enough said?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
3 @ 440 ml UK brewed Budweiser
1 @ 550 ml imported Heineken
1 @ 500 ml UK brewed Fosters
1 @ 500 ml brewed in Poland Zywiec beer
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alinlondon
3 @ 440 ml UK brewed Budweiser
1 @ 550 ml imported Heineken
1 @ 500 ml UK brewed Fosters
1 @ 500 ml brewed in Poland Zywiec beer
Can you get some ICEHOUSE where you live? Look into it.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
the "what IS this I'm tasting" good weirdness I'd expect from DFH.

Dogfish Head, on the other hand...well, back in September those Delawarians were one of three breweries hosting a Denver beer tasting titled "Up Your Reinheitsgebot". Enough said?
You got that right! The DFH Raison D'Etre in my fridge lists green raisins as an ingredient.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
You got that right! The DFH Raison D'Etre in my fridge lists green raisins as an ingredient.
I went for that this weekend. Tasty beer
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by thelark
I went for that this weekend. Tasty beer
Speaking of tasty, try Jax. It's a good thing.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Hoptober - New Belgium
Peroni
Winter Lager - Sam Ad
2 Below - New Belgium
Bad Elf
Pickled Santa
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, DL Silver Medallion, Hilton Gold
'Tis the season so I have a case of Harpoon Winter Warmer in the main fridge right now (1st year available in Chicago, seeing it at Binny's brought tears of joy to this former Bostonian's eyes)

In the wine/beer cabinet there are some bottles of Three Floyd's DarkLord, some left over from 2008 and a few from 2009, although those are Mr. Elola's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.