Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
There's food in mah beer fridge now! Well, there's a few bottles of Trumer Pils and Black Butte Porter left. But da beer fridge has been taken over by food! Especially bacon. Yeah, bacon!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:19 pm

New Castle, Sam Adams October Fest & Imperial
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
It says right on the label "golden ale" and you can read the words "A Seasonal Ale" on the neck band in the photo, so my comment that Spoetzl is brewing more marketing than actual Dortmunder may not be far off after all.
Yeah, but you Texans have weird beer laws, even by the standards of the rest of the U.S. and I personally would cut them some slack until I'd had more chance to look into it. For example, in 49 states a bock beer is a beer brewed in the German bock style. In Texas, any beer over a certain alcohol content has to be called a "bock". I don't THINK that there's a similar rule about what should be called a lager and what should be called an ale but I haven't really researched it. And from what I learned from many years spent reading Molly Ivins (and still missing those chances to laugh at her copy even when I disagreed) I wouldn't put anything past Texas politicians.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:41 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Yeah, but you Texans have weird beer laws, even by the standards of the rest of the U.S. and I personally would cut them some slack until I'd had more chance to look into it. For example, in 49 states a bock beer is a beer brewed in the German bock style. In Texas, any beer over a certain alcohol content has to be called a "bock". I don't THINK that there's a similar rule about what should be called a lager and what should be called an ale but I haven't really researched it.
Wow. I seriously learn something new every time you post something related to beer.

But, don't get me wrong. I'm a real fan of Shiner and I think it's pretty cool that they continue to take chances that they really do not have to do. After all, if they did nothing more than brew Shiner Bock, they could probably do quite well. Instead, there seems to be a love and a passion for brewing beer at Spoetzl akin to that found at Sam Adams, only less widely-known and less well-distributed, for sure. That being said, I've found that they sometimes miss the mark on these stylistic brews and that is where I feel that Gambrinus' marketing kicks in to try and cover for it. JMHO.

And from what I learned from many years spent reading Molly Ivins (and still missing those chances to laugh at her copy even when I disagreed) I wouldn't put anything past Texas politicians.
LOL. Ah, Molly Ivins and her stories about "the Lege". Classic stuff, and no...don't put anything past a Texas politician.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
Mayflower Porter
Peak Organic Pale Ale
Narragansett Tall Boys
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Founder's Imperial Stout
Arcadia Imperial Stout 2008
Schlafly Coffee Stout
Boulevard Single Wide IPA
Grand Teton Imperial Stout

Needs more basic beers, I think.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Leffe Blonde (Belgium), Blue Moon and Sam Adams(winterfest). Can anybody recommend any beers similar to Blue Moon? I also love Allagash White.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Dodo (lager style beer) - Reunion Island
Fén'ix (same) - Mauritius
Leffe Bière blanche - Belgium
Duvel mmmm Belgian nectar.....

Oh and I almost forgot... THB .... Three horses Brand. Beer from Madagascar.... hmm jury's out on that one.

Last edited by flyphilrun; Feb 16, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 7, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label)
Fuller's London Pride
Goose Island Winter Ale
Alaskan Amber
Fischer Amber
Leffe
Blatz
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:26 am

No beer in mine
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Just restocked a bit..

Founder's Backwoods B*st**d
Manchester Imperial Blonde
Harpoon Celtic Ale
Pretty Things Babayaga
Oskar Blues Old Chubb
Short's Pandemonium

Along with a few various Sam Adams, Linenkugels, and Bud Lights which have been sitting in my fridge forever because I'm too snobby to drink them

PS... feel free to follow my twitter feed where I post beers I'm drinking.

Last edited by doctor15; Feb 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm Reason: filtering
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:02 pm

Super Bowl came and went. So did the Lone Star and Icehouse.

Neither went well with the Saints winning, though.

Everyone loved Kohoutek's award winning (secret recipe) chili, and for dippin' (shame on double dippers), an excellent adventure into the world of Kohoutek's chile con queso. Kiss my grits (served for breakfast for hangers-on lookin' for a place to sleep).

Last edited by Kohoutek; Feb 8, 2010 at 4:13 pm Reason: Kiss me in the morning
Old Feb 8, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: status-less.
Ale Asylum Contorter Porter (had some Trippel Nova, too, but that never lasts more than a few days).

Also had a growler of Lumpy Dog Brown from my local Rock Bottom, but "had" is the operative word.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Have some Otter Creek Pale Ale. It's good, but I think I like the Copper Ale and their Wolaver's IPA more...
Old Feb 10, 2010, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I guess it's only fitting that my 10,000th post be about beer!

Right now, we have a bottle of Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, a few bottles of homebrew, and a few bottles of Sam Adams' Octoberfest of all things.

We're in need of hitting the beer distributor, but unfortunately, there's not one within walking distance. Poor planning on our part when buying the house.

It's not like we can walk to the neighbor's house to drink either--he's a Bud Light drinker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.