FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diners Club | Club Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards-414/)
-   -   Signup Bonus for Diners Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diners-club-club-rewards/758620-signup-bonus-diners-club.html)

sammyh Nov 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Signup Bonus for Diners Club

Hi everyone!
Looking around for DC sign up bonus. Any ideas?

Stefan Daystrom Nov 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by sammyh (Post 8752570)
Hi everyone!
Looking around for DC sign up bonus. Any ideas?

Good question. If you do a search in Google for "apply Diners Club", you get stuff like:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=19&gl=us

which is a cache (currently from 25 Oct 2007, which is less than a month ago) showing a page that shows the long-running 12000 points bonus (which is 1000 bonus points per month for your first 12 cycles). But if you try to go to the current version of that apply page, it simply redirects you to the main www.dinersclubus.com which currently has nothing at all about signing up, with or without a bonus.

Similarly, if you rummage around the Diners Club site and look at the FAQs for applying:

http://www.dinersclubus.com/dce_cont...personal#0-0-0

you'll see links for applying online, but once again they redirect you right now to the home page which has no mention of applying!

So if you don't want to wait to see if/when they'll fix the online application process, I suggest you do what they say for offline there:

Q: If I do not want to apply over the Internet, is there any other way to apply?
A: Yes, you may apply over the phone by calling 1 888 92 DINERS (1 888 923.4637).
You could mention to them that you recently saw online that you could get 12000 bonus points for signing up, and ask if that's still available.

Please let us know if that works. Thanks!

sammyh Nov 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks for the detailed response & i will let you know

rail rookie Nov 22, 2007 11:37 pm

DC points, can they be transferred?

I have 2200 points with Midwest Airlines Flyer Program, "if" Diners Club has a 10,000 point bonus come up, can I transfer the MWA points to Diners Club and then to Amtrak Guest Rewards? I really want to do something with the small amount of Midwest points but really can't seem to get them where I want to get them to. Also, does DC points transfer to AGR? Thanks!

mia Nov 23, 2007 12:09 am

Originally Posted by rail rookie (Post 8776421)
can I transfer the MWA points to Diners Club and then to Amtrak Guest Rewards?

No. The only airline that offers transfers "to" Diners Club is American. 50,000 AAdvantage Miles = 25,000 Diners Club Rewards points.

DC points transfer to AGR?
Yes.

ctownflyer Nov 26, 2007 12:21 pm

I was able to get the 12,000 point bonus today without any problems by applying at 888-92-DINERS

sammyh Nov 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 8790900)
I was able to get the 12,000 point bonus today without any problems by applying at 888-92-DINERS

Was it 12,000 upfront or 1k a month?

ctownflyer Nov 28, 2007 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sammyh (Post 8792952)
Was it 12,000 upfront or 1k a month?

1K/month

sammyh Nov 30, 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 8807289)
1K/month

do need to use card every month to get the 1K, or it comes automatically monthly?

Stefan Daystrom Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by sammyh (Post 8814490)
do need to use card every month to get the 1K, or it comes automatically monthly?

Unless something's changed recently:

1. You have to make a purchase every month, but no minimum amount.

2. The 12th (and maybe even 11th?) month won't post until after you have to pay the annual fee for the second year, so if you're really getting the card for only the bonus and not planning on using it any more than required, then you may only get 10k or 11k out of it unless you want to pay an annual fee just for 1k or 2k points. :)

(OTOH, if you don't use it every month simply because your only regular use will be for primary coverage on rental cars, the second pont may not matter to you. Value of not paying $100 deductible on your regular auto insurance: $100. Value of your regular auto insurance not even having a record of your collision-damage-only $$$$ accident that Diners covered 100%: priceless!)

ctownflyer Dec 5, 2007 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Stefan Daystrom (Post 8815829)

(OTOH, if you don't use it every month simply because your only regular use will be for primary coverage on rental cars, the second pont may not matter to you. Value of not paying $100 deductible on your regular auto insurance: $100. Value of your regular auto insurance not even having a record of your collision-damage-only $$$$ accident that Diners covered 100%: priceless!)

Considering that AMEX offers primary coverage for $19/rental period, I think you're overvaluing the DC card.

Stefan Daystrom Dec 7, 2007 5:27 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 8841574)
Considering that AMEX offers primary coverage for $19/rental period, I think you're overvaluing the DC card.

What AMEXs provide this? Just the MR AMEXs (which have an even higher annual fee than DC, and for pany people have lousier redemption options than DC), or the Starwood AMEX too?

broadwayblue Dec 23, 2007 4:25 pm

Anyone know of any new or upcoming sign up bonuses for DC...or is the only deal the 12k miles over 12 months?

Also, how do DC credit limits compare to other cards?

sdsearch Dec 24, 2007 7:31 am

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 8945687)
Anyone know of any new or upcoming sign up bonuses for DC...or is the only deal the 12k miles over 12 months?

Also, how do DC credit limits compare to other cards?

The 12k miles over 12 months bonus has been the only signup bonus (and the consistent signup bonus) for years and years and years (over half a dozen years at least, I think). I don't see any reason to expect a better one in the future; in fact, if anything is likely to change about it, it would be a devaluing of it, I'd fear.

Meanwhile, as I already explained to you in the other thread, it's hard to compare DC credit limits to anything other than AMEX MR. That's because DC and AMEX MR are charge cards, not credit cards. Charge cards are cards on which you have to pay the statement balance in full every month; there's no such thing as minimum payment, and there's no "visible" or "fixed" credit limit. Because you can't carry a balance, the credit limit is "behind-the-scenes", and can change periodically without you knowing anything about it, and it can be hard to get them to admit there's one and to get them to tell you what it is at that moment (and even harder to get them to tell you how it might change in a few months). Most other cards are true credit cards, in which the credit limit applies to your total balance (for most people, only applies if they carry a balance from month to month), and thus is a different concept. Since it applies to a carried balance, they tell you what it is up front.

broadwayblue Jan 7, 2008 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 8790900)

Tried to apply over the phone just now but that number gives me a citi group in colorado message that states "this is not a working number." Very odd. Not to mention how hard it is to find a link referencing applying for the card on their website.