Wiki Posts
Search

Diners Club and Credit Reporting Bureaus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPLP007
looked and do not see any sign up bonus or compelling reason to get this card, maybe I am missing something ?
1. One of the few cards in the US that are actually chip and PIN (as opposed to [maybe having a PIN and] still needing to sign the vast majority of the time).
2. Access to the Diners Club lounge network.
3. Rewards program whose points are transferable to airlines and hotels.
4. Primary CDW coverage for rental cars.

Speaking of #3, a whole lot of people signed up for the Elite card ($300 AF) instead of the Premier ($95 AF). That card is 3x at gas stations and grocery stores with no limit on point earn, which happen to be the easiest places from which to get gift cards. That along with inappropriately high CLs made this card the best at getting tons of points quickly. Of course, BMO put a stop to that pretty quickly and now no one can apply for either card.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:12 pm

the 3x points was why I got the Elite, i used it carefully to load redbird and it was profitable for me until that got shut down. Now I use it because we do most of our shopping at grocery stores (have two young kids) so it actually accrues points pretty quickly. Also get 3x at 7-11, even on inside purchases so it's a pretty decent card.

I got a fraud alert the other day, someone had tried to buy plane tickets and they were very quick about getting me a new card and very helpful on the phone so I actually like them the most out of my card vendors now.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks for info, this card is not for me
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
the 3x points was why I got the Elite, i used it carefully to load redbird and it was profitable for me until that got shut down. Now I use it because we do most of our shopping at grocery stores (have two young kids) so it actually accrues points pretty quickly. Also get 3x at 7-11, even on inside purchases so it's a pretty decent card.

I got a fraud alert the other day, someone had tried to buy plane tickets and they were very quick about getting me a new card and very helpful on the phone so I actually like them the most out of my card vendors now.
I read the guide to benefits again after my last post and I realized that in some ways Premier's a lot better compared to the cards that are in the same class (e.g. Chase Sapphire Preferred). Some examples:

• Purchase protection: DC has a $1000 per instance limit compared to CSP's $500.
  • Extended warranty: CSP adds one additional year to the original warranty. DC will double the original warranty up to "24 months", or two years past any extended warranty < 2 years long that you buy.

(sources: https://www.dinersclubus.com/us/docs...ToBenefits.pdf and https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17)

That said, I kinda wish I had gotten Elite instead but I couldn't really justify the $300 AF.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:16 am

Now I wish if they drop forex charge like Amex SPG (US) did recently...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cozysuite
Now I wish if they drop forex charge like Amex SPG (US) did recently...
There is no foreign transaction fee on the USA-issued Consumer cards (Premier and Elite) which were briefly issued last Autumn. BMO does not seem to have any intention of changing anything on the legacy card accounts they acquired from Citi. It may be that they have a long term revenue sharing agreement with Citi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.