Search

BMO Harris Survey on Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
BMO Harris Survey on Credit Cards

BMO Harris sent me a survey about potential credit card products, it would appear they're considering a premium product to compete with AMEX Platinum and the like, i.e., premium price and premium features to justify the price. They asked about preferences for rewards, benefits, annual fees, and such. The most interesting aspect is that they seemed interested in waiving the annual fee if you actually do business with BMO Harris (e.g., account with direct deposit or greater than $100,000 in deposits). They also proposed waiving the annual fee if you spend $50k or more a year as an option. They asked about cash vs. points that could be transferred to partners (Marriott Bonvoy was the example they used), but it seems that may be a tough proposition for them because of all the exclusive contracts most airlines and hotels have now.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
BMO Harris sent me a survey about potential credit card products, it would appear they're considering a premium product to compete with AMEX Platinum and the like, i.e., premium price and premium features to justify the price. They asked about preferences for rewards, benefits, annual fees, and such. The most interesting aspect is that they seemed interested in waiving the annual fee if you actually do business with BMO Harris (e.g., account with direct deposit or greater than $100,000 in deposits). They also proposed waiving the annual fee if you spend $50k or more a year as an option. They asked about cash vs. points that could be transferred to partners (Marriott Bonvoy was the example they used), but it seems that may be a tough proposition for them because of all the exclusive contracts most airlines and hotels have now.
Seems it could be easier to just reopen applications to the Consumer Diner's Club cards and make a few tweaks. Interesting that they may be considering jumping in here in any case.
LETTERBOY and SteveT like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:38 pm

Did the survey specifically mention Diners or was more broad-based.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:40 am

Weird they would mention Marriott Bonvoy as a potential transfer partner when they were unable to keep them after the Marriott/SPG merger. Guessing this will be something unrelated to Diners.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't think ideas mentioned in surveys are necessarily under consideration. They may be proxies for competitors' products. For example, mentioning a fee waiver could provide a comparison with a different approach that BMO has in mind.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteveT
Did the survey specifically mention Diners or was more broad-based.
No, only BMO Harris, but they sent me an email in advance that mentioned Diners that said the survey would be coming. That being said, seems like BMO should do something with the Diners brand ...
mia and SteveT like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:12 pm

No, only BMO Harris, but they sent me an email in advance that mentioned Diners that said the survey would be coming. That being said, seems like BMO should do something with the Diners brand ...
Thanks!

It would be a good opportunity to come out with a premium card under the Diner's brand.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
That being said, seems like BMO should do something with the Diners brand ...
Does making it disappear count as doing something?
rayfes and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Does making it disappear count as doing something?
Well, it's something, but not something you'd put on your resume ...
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Well, it's something, but not something you'd put on your resume ...
it would make sense to convert them
all to another BMO card, if there is one. But perhaps there are contractual restrictions with DC International that prevent them from doing so. IDK.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brc01
Weird they would mention Marriott Bonvoy as a potential transfer partner when they were unable to keep them after the Marriott/SPG merger. Guessing this will be something unrelated to Diners.
Or that there reason they were unable to keep them was related to a contract they had with Marriott/SPG which is about to expire? Contracts between credit card companies and travel companies have limited terms, they don't last forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.