Wiki Posts
Search

Most value for my DC Points?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott
Most value for my DC Points?

I'm not a regular here on Diners Club forum, so forgive me if I'm asking an "over-asked" question. But I have just a few DC points (8-10K), and wanted to transfer them to another of my programs which I use on a regular basis? How can I find out the greatest value prop? Other programs I utilize are: AA, United, Northwest, Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, PriorityClub.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Don't I remember from sometime in teh past that DC occasionally does a double points offer on transfers? BA or somesuch? Anyway, would appreciate any help here!

Thx in advance,
Jill
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Jills
I'm not a regular here on Diners Club forum, so forgive me if I'm asking an "over-asked" question. But I have just a few DC points (8-10K), and wanted to transfer them to another of my programs which I use on a regular basis? How can I find out the greatest value prop? Other programs I utilize are: AA, United, Northwest, Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, PriorityClub.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Don't I remember from sometime in teh past that DC occasionally does a double points offer on transfers? BA or somesuch? Anyway, would appreciate any help here!

Thx in advance,
Jill
DC used to offer a 2x normal exchange rate on conversions to BA. Last year, they only offered a 1.5x special. Some people have reported that there will be another 1.5x special. Various other airlines offer 1.25x or 1.3x exchange rates from time to time.

I suppose the greatest values might be a function of both
- How much you value awards on various airlines
- How close you are to the next award.

Note that if you have orphaned AA or UA miles, you can convert them to DC, in multiples of 10,000 miles, with a 50% haircut (unless a promotion is running with the program to which they ultimately go). A big haircut, but if you don't value AA/UA much but do value another airline, that's another use of the DC card.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Double miles seem to be a thing of the past. There is an upcoming 50% bonus for transfers to BA (look for a recent thread on this). There have also been recent bonuses in the neighborhood of 25% for transfers for UA and US (also older threads on these). It depends on the person, but airline miles/point are often considered to be worth a bit more than hotel points (I think there are a number of threads on this subject in the Amex forum). Were it me, I would look at my current and anticipated point balance in each program and move to the program which it would get me to or near an award level.

(Sorry from some dup. Spent got in a response faster than I did.)
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
DC used to offer a 2x normal exchange rate on conversions to BA. Last year, they only offered a 1.5x special. Some people have reported that there will be another 1.5x special.
It is in the current 'In the Club' (also a British slang term for Pregnant)= 1.5 BA miles per DC point (new) from May 1 to August 31, 2005.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or:

1. 10K DC ->5K AA miles -> 10K hilton pts

2. 10K DC -> 6K Marriott pts. -> 12K hilton (with travel pkg)

3. 10K DC -> 8K hilton pts.

4. 10K DC -> 5K most any airline miles

etc.

Or, wait for the BA deal: 10K DC -> 7.5K BA

Or just order some of the dreck from their catalog -- 10K DC is not worth wasting a lot of worry over.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
Or:

1. 10K DC ->5K AA miles -> 10K hilton pts

2. 10K DC -> 6K Marriott pts. -> 12K hilton (with travel pkg)

3. 10K DC -> 8K hilton pts.

4. 10K DC -> 5K most any airline miles

etc.

Or, wait for the BA deal: 10K DC -> 7.5K BA

Or just order some of the dreck from their catalog -- 10K DC is not worth wasting a lot of worry over.
I am an international stupid student. But I found a problem. 10kDC=5k dollar=5k airline miles。 Of course 60k dollar=60k any airline miles=1 piece U.S.- Asian round trip free ticket

But I use another idea: In One year:
I apply a Citibank Dividend 1% cash back card+a Citibank ATT 1% cash back card+a Citibank Premier Pass EL credit card.
I use Citibank Dividend 30k get 300 dollar cash back+
I use Citibank ATT 30k get 300 dollar cash back=600 dollar
Deposit 600 dollar in Premier Pass EL card and buy a U.S.- international ticket
I will get a ticket+20600point(Because Premier pass mile=point)+20k Airline company miles.

In three yearsurchase 180k dollar
I will get 3 international air tickets+61800 Premier pass point(=1 ticket)+60k Airline company miles(=1 ticket)=total 5 international tickets?

Sorry.
Old Mar 27, 2005, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I use my AA account solely as a backup. But if you have a long-term goal of earning lifetime elite status on AA (1 million miles for gold, 2 million for platinum), earnings from partner transfers such as DC counts toward qualification, making an AA transfer just slightly more valuable in such circumstances.

Each person's view of "most value" will depend on the intended use of the miles or points. I value the flexibility of keeping all my accounts "alive" every three years if necessary by adding 1000 miles from DC, and for my family, too (except for AA & BA).
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icbkcnbjicc
I am an international stupid student. But I found a problem. 10kDC=5k dollar=5k airline miles。 Of course 60k dollar=60k any airline miles=1 piece U.S.- Asian round trip free ticket

But I use another idea: In One year:
I apply a Citibank Dividend 1% cash back card+a Citibank ATT 1% cash back card+a Citibank Premier Pass EL credit card.
I use Citibank Dividend 30k get 300 dollar cash back+
I use Citibank ATT 30k get 300 dollar cash back=600 dollar
Deposit 600 dollar in Premier Pass EL card and buy a U.S.- international ticket
I will get a ticket+20600point(Because Premier pass mile=point)+20k Airline company miles.

In three yearsurchase 180k dollar
I will get 3 international air tickets+61800 Premier pass point(=1 ticket)+60k Airline company miles(=1 ticket)=total 5 international tickets?

Sorry.
OK -- no need to be sorry we're all here to learn.

This has no reference to the original poster's (OP) question, but it does bring up some pertinent points:

1. As a student, can you get these cards? (probably)
2. Are you prepared to spend $60K/year through them? (if so, it's long way from when I ws a student )

Your plan will work as long as:

1. You keep spending -- btw, are there any annual fees associated with these cards? If so, that throws your calculations off a bit.
2. They don't change the amount of miles required for a ticket.

Trans-pac flights are notoriously difficult to get awards on, and they're pretty long and cramped, too. Since you seem to have the disposable income, you might want to consider buying cheap coach tix and upgrading them with your miles. Business class makes the journey much more enjoyable. First Class, of course, is the best of all.

Good luck and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:43 am

May you suggest me?

I haven't SSN, but I have national 500 VIP ICBC credit card report. Now I am a student. Citibank give me Dividend Limit 5000 card.

But you know the cash back is 300/year only. So I want to add a card. Premier pass of Citibank or Mastercard-Diners Club of Citibank.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:48 pm

Amazon gift cards: basically 1/2 cent per point. Available in $25 and $100 denominations; no limit.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Until March 31,

32,000 DC points = 16 Southwest credits = free ticket > $300 cash value

almost $0.01 per point, or $0.02 per dollar spent
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by TRRed
There have also been recent bonuses in the neighborhood of 25% for transfers for UA and US (also older threads on these).
Do you have more information for the 25% bonus on UA Mileage Plus? Can't seem to find it anywhere...

However, I did notice the US Air bonus but hesitate to transfer a lot of miles into a troubled airline that may not exist in a few months...
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Tino
Until March 31,

What happens after March 31?

Does Southwest allow barter/selling of flight awards?

thanx
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:28 am

Until March 31,

What happens after March 31?

thanx
Old Mar 31, 2005, 1:29 am

Until March 31,

What happens after March 31 ( isn't 32,000 the regular requirement?)

thanx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.