Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Australian report of big changes in Diners transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

http://www.ausbt.com.au/diners-club-...rtnership-deck

Does this affect US cardholders? Sorry, I am not very familiar with the ins-and-outs of Diners around the world.

Since they are dropping Southwest, I assume this guy is talking about the US card, no? Seems as though Aussies would rarely transfer to WN.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Does this affect US cardholders?
It should not. Diners is a franchise system. The cards and rewards are different in each country. As you see the card in Australia is still issued by Citi. The cards issued in Canada and the USA are issued by Bank of Montreal.

Obviously it is possible that BMO inherited contracts from Citi that have the same expiration date as those in Australia, but there is no other connection. That said, I doubt that BMO would recognize the importance of pre-announcing these types of changes.

Last edited by mia; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
OK, thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I read that Australian article today too and panicked. Looks like their card is gutted.

Good thing is it reminded me that I have points I should transfer anyway in case there is a devaluation for U.S. card members or some of the favored partners I like drop out.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The OP's link now leads to a new article of 3 May which says that AA and SPG will stay. Also, as several partners leave on 1st June, others will be added then.
Old May 24, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another big clue at that link that the AU DC program is not synchronized at all with the US DC program:
"Two Diners Club Rewards points will convert into one frequent flyer point/mile with each of those partners."
Diners Club North America shifted redemptions from 2:1 to 1:1 (while shifting earning from 1:2 to 1:1 at the same time) over a decade ago, long before it left Citi for BMO, at the same time that it started using the MC card transaction network.

I bet many people who came to Diners Club North America in more recent years might not even know that Diners Club North America once used to earn 2 points for every dollar spent but then require 2 points for every mile on redemption.

Blast from the FT past:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.