Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: No more free Diners cards in Austria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Recently when in Austria, I ran into a person peddling Diners Club cards, signing people up on the spot. You know those pop-up booths.

That person told me that, come May, there will be no more free Diners Club cards in Austria. They will ALL have an annual fee. However, there will be options to receive a credit for the annual fee if certain revenue requirements are met.

I have no further information. But, given the recent EU regulation on decimating credit card fees, it sounds plausible.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
the recent EU regulation on decimating credit card fees
Can you please explain (or provide a link that explains) what you're referring to? Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... provide a link ...
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pr...ased-payments/
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

The rumour is confirmed.

The probably most popular card is the "Wein&Co"-co-branded card. It has been around for many years - for free. Come April, there will be an annual fee of Euro 40. :-(

The letter informing card holders of the change actually mentions the new regulation as the reason for the fee.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

I have now been told that the Euro 40 is for existing card holders. New card holders are apparently expected to pay Euro 70 ?!

For existing card holders, the fee will be levied in the anniversary month. Check the "VALID" information on the card (not the THRU information which contains the end of validity).

Until the end of this month, you can cancel you card anytime. Afterwards, you have to cancel one month in advance. Example: Your anniversary month is August. To avoid being billed the annual fee in August, you have to send your cancellation letter such that it arrives in June. In the letter, you may request an effective date of your cancellation of July 31. However, I wouldn't use the card during the final week or ten days, to avoid charges being pushed into August.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
I have now been told that the Euro 40 is for existing card holders. New card holders are apparently expected to pay Euro 70 ?!
At current exchange rates, Euro 70 is still less than $80 USD. The annual fee for the US Diners Club card has been $95 for ages.

Now, whether there's at least 4/5 of the benefits of the US card on the Austrian card (to justify that), that I don't know.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
At current exchange rates, Euro 70 is still less than $80 USD. The annual fee for the US Diners Club card has been $95 for ages.

Now, whether there's at least 4/5 of the benefits of the US card on the Austrian card (to justify that), that I don't know.
I don't think it is. While I haven't compared all the benefits, I can tell you that the Austrian reward program is a joke.

For every full multiple of 8 Euro in a single transaction, you get 1 point. So for a charge of 7.99 you get zero points, for 79.99 you get 9 points, etc.

200 points will save you 5 Euro when you order a 25 Euro gift card for the wine dealer that is co-branded on the card. (You can choose from many other things, but I found this to be the best value. Except for a few worthless gimmicks, all point usage requires substantial co-payments, sometimes more than the full market price of the chosen "reward".) Assuming all your charges are exact multiples of 8, this is a reward ratio of 0.3125%. In reality, the ratio will be even worse, as hardly any charge is an exact multiple of 8.

There used to be a non-documented option to exchange the points for Lufthansa Miles&More-Miles (1 point = 8 M&M miles). However, DC Austria assesses an additional annual fee for that. I don't know if this is still possible and how much the fee would be these days.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Calling all cardholders of an Austrian Diners Club card: Check if they charged you the annual fee on your April statement.

In March, DC Bank had told me that they will charge the fee not right away, but in the month the card was originally issued (mentioned unter "VALID" on the front of the card). In my case, that is over half a year down the road. However, they *still* charged me the full annual fee in April. Contrary to their express statement (by email, which I still have).

If that has happened to you, too, contest the statement (Einspruch) and ask for the charge to be reversed - unless your VALID month is actually April.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:38 pm

Very interesting as I might be able to get one (Vinocard). But, since Amazon seems not to be accepting this card - which online shop can I use? None of my daily shops accepts it - and I must generate I think 3.600 Euro of revenue (or 300 per month) in order to have lounge access. I guess the annual fee is also waved.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Maybe you can find a store that accepts DC and sells Amazon gift cards.

Generally, Diners Club acceptance in Germany and Austria has fallen substantially. While I never saw Amazon.de/.at accpet DC, I used to pay with DC regularly in a number of places that do not accept it any longer. Mostly restaurants.

I assume that it is in connection with the EU mandated slashing of merchant fees. That helps Visa and MC to extend their market position. Maybe Amex can deal with it. But DC has to reduce what they offer to merchants and customers, so there are less DC card holders and less merchants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.