Search

WalMart Bill Pay Diners Club? [No]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, United
WalMart Bill Pay Diners Club? [No]

I have a Diners Club issued in the USA.

I have tried to BP my Diners from Walmart many times and have never been successful. Tried to pay mastercard, and Diners (Diners comes up as a payee in Walmart). Once the cashier puts in the account number, the system gives an error message. I have called Diners multiple times and they also could never figure this out.

WM also does Western Union bill payment service and I called Diners club to see if they take western union. I was told that is a NO-GO as well.

Very frustrating, any one here has managed to pay Diners using WM bill pay or make payments using debit cards?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WalMart also does AMEX Bluebird (sort of an alternative to a checking account). (You can sign up for Bluebird online or at a Walmart. The singup is free, and there's no monthly or annual fee.) In turn, you can load your Bluebird account at WalMart with Visa debit cards that have a PIN. (You can theoretically do MC too, but Walmart seems to handle Visa better than MC for Bluebird loading.) And Bluebird keeps offering free checks with free shipping online (supposedly there's a charge, but there's constantly a promotion for up to 100 checks being completely free).

So if you set yourself up with a Bluebird account (which costs nothing), you can load that account with Visa debit cards with a PIN at Walmsrt, then go home and send Bluebird checks to Diners Club (or any other credit card) and that should work since Bluebird checks work like normal bank checks. You'll have pay for a stamp, though.

While this is a procedure thought up by Manfuactured Spending fans, virtually the same procedure can work if you're trying to pay a credit card bill with a debit card you got some other way (promotional, gift, unemployment, bank card, etc). Obviously, with a bank card, since it's linked to a checking account, it would seem simpler to just send the check from the original checking account, or do bill pay through the online site for your checking account, though for some people those things have fees with the extra steps of going through Bluebird might avoid.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, AA, United
Thanks for your response. I am already into MS and do BB and many other prepaid cards. With BB, the liimt is just 5K per card. If there was an option to bill pay from WM, there are no limits for that.

In WM, Diners club comes up as a payee but when the cashier puts in my card number, it comes back with an Invalid Account message. Same thing trying to pay to Mastercard.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
WalMart also does AMEX Bluebird (sort of an alternative to a checking account). (You can sign up for Bluebird online or at a Walmart. The singup is free, and there's no monthly or annual fee.) In turn, you can load your Bluebird account at WalMart with Visa debit cards that have a PIN. (You can theoretically do MC too, but Walmart seems to handle Visa better than MC for Bluebird loading.) And Bluebird keeps offering free checks with free shipping online (supposedly there's a charge, but there's constantly a promotion for up to 100 checks being completely free).

So if you set yourself up with a Bluebird account (which costs nothing), you can load that account with Visa debit cards with a PIN at Walmsrt, then go home and send Bluebird checks to Diners Club (or any other credit card) and that should work since Bluebird checks work like normal bank checks. You'll have pay for a stamp, though.

While this is a procedure thought up by Manfuactured Spending fans, virtually the same procedure can work if you're trying to pay a credit card bill with a debit card you got some other way (promotional, gift, unemployment, bank card, etc). Obviously, with a bank card, since it's linked to a checking account, it would seem simpler to just send the check from the original checking account, or do bill pay through the online site for your checking account, though for some people those things have fees with the extra steps of going through Bluebird might avoid.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Considering this card. Wondering if anyone has any new data points on WalMart Billpay for the new Diners Club Elite. Would be very helpful to know if it's possible.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
BTW, using "Diners Club" and the full card number in BoA bill payment does credit your account correctly. Actually, it seems to have credited two days ago even though BoA just deducted from my bank account tonight.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW, using "Diners Club" and the full card number in BoA bill payment does credit your account correctly. Actually, it seems to have credited two days ago even though BoA just deducted from my bank account tonight.
Good to know, opening a BOA checking is on my "to do" list.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ftomasze
Good to know, opening a BOA checking is on my "to do" list.
A lot of banks use the same companies for online billpay though. There may be better banks than BoA to use for your situation.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:19 pm

Bill Pay Diners Club

I just pushed a BB payment to Diners Club today. Curious to see if it works.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
I just pushed a BB payment to Diners Club today. Curious to see if it works.
Is it the new consumer card offered by BMO/Harris? In that case, if you have chosen Diners Club as your payee (and NOT BMO/Harris), then it should work. It did for me.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:57 am

So, I did billpay through my bank to "Diners Club" for $1 and it showed up as a payment on the day promised.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by miadeals
So, I did billpay through my bank to "Diners Club" for $1 and it showed up as a payment on the day promised.
Yeah, all the 3 payments I made from TD Ameritrade, Bluebird and Schwab also went through when I used the Diners Club payee. There is also BMO/Harris as a payee but that doesn't work.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:29 am

Just tried today. I just had the CSR try to BP to Mastercard, but the system said invalid account. Will try again sometime and have them try to send the BP to Diner's. Will update when I do that.

Originally Posted by mile ho
Considering this card. Wondering if anyone has any new data points on WalMart Billpay for the new Diners Club Elite. Would be very helpful to know if it's possible.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum,
So from the looks of things, it needs to get sent to Diners Club. NOT Master Card, NOT BMO Harris.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
...I could swear I heard people paying to somewhere but after being off ft for over a week I cant for the life of me find where I thought I saw that
Perhaps you are looking for this post?

Note that Harris Bank has now added the ability to pay online from a bank account. However, I thought you were specifically interested in the Walmart method which is discussed in this thread, and now apparently works if you choose Diners Club as the payee.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
What I seek is wanting to know what biller to ask the wmt clerk to use
If I understand correctly that is the subject of this thread, and the answer is: Diners Club. However, I hope to die without ever setting foot in a Walmart store, and someone with direct experience will be able to clarify if reading the preceding posts is not enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.