Diners Club on CUP or JCB

Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Diners Club on CUP or JCB

Does anyone know if Diners Club cards work on CUP in China and JCB in Japan or is that just the Discover card?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
(If it isn't too late to help) Since you are in the UK, I assume you mean the DC Intl. card, not the US/Can Mastercard that pretends to be a DC.

The DC Intl cards, the ones that have the Discover logo in the corner on the back, work in Japan on JCB. From the JCB acceptance web page: JCB signed an agreement with City Card Japan in 2006 supporting Diners Club Card acquiring operations in Japan. Also in 2006, JCB and Discover Financial Services LLC launched a major reciprocal acceptance agreement, with Discover network acceptance of JCB Cards in the United States starting in the fall 2007 and JCB network acceptance of Discover network cards in Japan starting in the spring 2009

YMMV because it's possible you will hit some merchant that has some really out of date terminal.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Does anyone know if Diners Club cards work on CUP in China and JCB in Japan or is that just the Discover card?
I hold a UK issued card and can confirm they do without issues. You may need to explain to the person processing the payment to give it a go but it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:04 am

I've used my Diners Club on American websites, as Discover, with no trouble.

I know Diners Club (and Discover) can be processed as JCB in Japan. How about with a UK website who list JCB, but not Diners or Discover?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BernardBlack
I've used my Diners Club on American websites, as Discover, with no trouble.

I know Diners Club (and Discover) can be processed as JCB in Japan. How about with a UK website who list JCB, but not Diners or Discover?
JCB acceptance share is only in Japan.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:18 pm

This is a bit off topic as I want to talk about Discover, but:

In Japan, online merchants that accept both JCB and Diners Club may not accept Discover. case in point: Amazon.co.jp

I tried to ask Discover and Amazon.co.jp the right questions but didn't get back the right answers. So I wonder if anyone here knows: Is it the case, outside the USA, that Discover should be accepted as a Diners Club?

Last edited by photaco; Oct 16, 2014 at 2:27 pm
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by photaco
Is it the case, outside the USA, that Discover should be accepted as a Diners Club?
This page may be helpful:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...ional-use.html
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, it's sadly not - and certainly not for card-not-present transactions.

I would have thought that since Discover Network and PULSE are on the back of Diners Club cards in Japan, that Diners Club should include Discover for online purchases... but as I said, it doesn't work that way.

Also, JCB acceptance may not include Discover in Japan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.