Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are DC cards accepted by merchants who only display the Discover logo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Australian Diners Club cards accepted at Discover sites from July

The following message has been posted on the Diners Club Australia Website:

Important Information for all Diners Club Members

In July 2008, Diners Club International® was acquired by Discover Financial Services*.
As a result, from 1 July 2009 all Diners Club Cards will be accepted at millions of merchant
locations displaying the Discover Network Acceptance Mark in North America.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by edcba
The following message has been posted on the Diners Club Australia Website:

Important Information for all Diners Club Members

In July 2008, Diners Club International® was acquired by Discover Financial Services*.
As a result, from 1 July 2009 all Diners Club Cards will be accepted at millions of merchant
locations displaying the Discover Network Acceptance Mark in North America.
Makes sense IMO. And gives more hope of DC as an independent high-level brand than as an MC? But what is the financial situation of DFS? Will corporate customers in the US follow?

DFS arranged for lounge access in the UK? - hope they will continue to improve the benefits to the customer. Still hoping for lounge access at least in FRA and BRU...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Discover is a competing network with MC. This could be a good thing for the survival of DC as the high end counterpart to a Discover Card.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

It's now August. Has anyone tried using a Diners Club international card at a Discover merchant in the USA? Does it work?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: EBS
I have used it on the net, where they showed the Discover logo but not the Diners logo.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Has anyone tried using their Discover Card in Europe where only Diners Club is accepted?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Some US Web sites accept Discover but not DC

My Diners Club International card, which has a Discover logo, is accepted by most US merchants that accept Discover cards, but I find that some US Web sites haven't been reprogrammed to accept Diners cards (beginning with '36'). Does anyone have a contact e-mail address at Discover to make them aware of such Web sites?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:23 pm

You might want to post a message to www.twitter.com/discover
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, ANA, Spg Gold
I have the same problem with a Japan-issued DC starting with 36 and a discover logo on the rear. Doesn't work for many key websites (inc. google checkout) and I found that very few retailers accepted in Canada and US on recent trips. What gives? Any news on this?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

My Australian DC card is generally accepted by US Discover merchants. It appears that many online Discover retailers haven't yet updated their software to accept DC.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:15 am

It's not all Discover's fault, it's the processor

There are literally thousands of card processors out there, they may not have programmed their systems to accept a DC or JCB card starting with a 3 as a Discover card. If the merchant has a terminal or system with a direct link to Discover network, they contact Discover. If it's a third party that processor needs to update their systems.

More at www.discovernetwork.com
http://www.discovernetwork.com/disco...rocessing.html
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|

I have a Diners Club card issued in Australia which has the Discover Network logo on the back. On certain web retailers, drop down menus on the payment pages have both Diners Club and Discover as accepted payment methods.

If a retailer only has Discover listed as an accepted payment method, does that mean I can use my Diners Club card, given the Discover logo on the back?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I have a Diners Club card issued in Australia which has the Discover Network logo on the back. On certain web retailers, drop down menus on the payment pages have both Diners Club and Discover as accepted payment methods.

If a retailer only has Discover listed as an accepted payment method, does that mean I can use my Diners Club card, given the Discover logo on the back?

Thanks
This is what was intended but in practice some websites will not accept a Diners Club card because it's not consistent with the number format of a Discover card.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger

Thanks
On PayPal you can make US$ charges on a Diners Club card issued in Australia. Just enter your Diners Club number as if it were a Discover number.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
Originally Posted by edcba
On PayPal you can make US$ charges on a Diners Club card issued in Australia. Just enter your Diners Club number as if it were a Discover number.
Yup and I've got Diners Club International looking into ensuring you get charged in your home currency for future purchases. Hopefully soon, you will be able to charge your card in AUD, I kinda got pissed at the crap exchange rate offered by PayPal for my UK issued card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.