Diners (USA) improvements made by BMO

Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:59 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Diners (USA) improvements made by BMO

There has been discussion of unfavorable changes, but here are some benefits of the ownership change:

• Issue supplementary cards for unrelated persons. Citi flatly (rudely) refused, twice, to issue a card to my assistant, but BMO didn't question it.
  • Added EMV Chip & PIN plus RFID payment technology to card.
  • Eliminated excise tax recovery fee on transfers to airline partners.
  • Club Rewards online balance is updated daily.

The network operator, Diners Club International (Discover) has also:
  • Greatly expanded the airline lounge network. The USA coverage is still small, but has expanded from two airports to a dozen.
  • Created smartphone application, which was updated this week.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, PC Gold
Personally, I think the BMO Diner's Club looks ugly! I prefer the old vision.

Last edited by mia; Oct 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm Reason: Remove cross-posted off-topic questions
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jiangsu
Personally, I think the BMO Diner's Club looks ugly! I prefer the old vision.
I think the chip is visually beautiful, and furthermore it has saved me in two situations so far (in Europe) where no other (ie, non-chip) card worked.

So since it's only the BMO verison that has the chip, I prefer the new version.

Were their old graphics even compatible with the (necessary) placement of the chip?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Originally Posted by mia
There has been discussion of unfavorable changes, but here are some benefits of the ownership change:

The network operator, Diners Club International (Discover) has also:
  • Greatly expanded the airline lounge network. The USA coverage is still small, but has expanded from two airports to a dozen.

Hmmm.....that had me take another look at the airport lounges list.....

At ORD, LAX and JFK(?) the DC lounges are in the international terminals, as would be expected......

Which places might be helpful for us USA-domestic fliers? Here's a few that looked good to me.....

Dallas-DFW near Gate D-22 should be quite useful, since that is the newest AA terminal....but it closes at 6pm or 7:30pm on various days

Nashville-BNA at both gate B9 and C10.....that's wonderful coverage at this medium-size airport.....if I was based there, a DC card would be #1 choice
(looks like a local organization has taken-over operation of the former AA club room)

Las Vegas-LAS....both Term 1 & 3, open until 2am......wow, that makes sense there!!!!

Orlando....but only at Sanford airport?!?!?!? Well, that will make flying Allegiant so much nicer!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:21 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Were their old graphics even compatible with the (necessary) placement of the chip?
Yes. Only the word "Professional" would need to have been moved to place the chip directly above 5528. I do agree that the previous design was more attractive:

Flat projection of the earth's continents covered the entire face.
Use of black script, rather than white, was more legible.

I don't mind the change from mettallic silver to Champagne finish. Silver color cards are common.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:42 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by mia
...[*]Eliminated excise tax recovery fee on transfers to airline partners...
Thanks for posting this thread. I don't know how I missed that change (perhaps I was just focusing on the negative aspects of the change), but I just found out, earlier today. The elimination of those fees will encourage me to use the card more.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I think an improvement would be if they started accepting applications for new cards.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I think an improvement would be if they started accepting applications for new cards.
Why bother? The DC lounges seem to all be on Priority Pass. I lurk by this forum every 6 months or so to see if there is any earthly reason to want a DC. So far, not excited.

I have had Discover since it was a Sears Roebuck card. Useta' be my main, but their rewards have been surpassed by others. I hope for a Discover/DC that will make it my main again. I hope for world peace too....
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:48 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadiver
. I hope for a Discover/DC that will make it my main again. ....
Diners Club Cards issued in Canada and the USA have very little connection with Discover, aside from using the lounge network. The are not issued by Discover, transactions are not processed on the Discover network.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Why bother?
Because it's one of the only US issued credit cards that's available in chip-and-PIN format.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I had heard from their Corporate Sales Department that they are going to start accepting application in the first quarter of 2013.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:29 am

I love the off shore call center for Carte Blanche holders!! That is just brilliant BMO!! You're best clients getting the worst support.

Even Citi kept it in Florida where phones were answered live by an agent on the second or third ring, rather than the IVR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.