Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Gold Passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Hyatt Gold Passport

I received a statement for my annual fee and was thinking about closing the account. I was going to transfer the points I had left to Hyatt Gold Passport and checked the transfer ratio - 1 DC to 1.67 Hyatt.

I recently got the Hyatt Chase VISA card, because they are giving 2 free nights for signing up and figured I didn't need DC any more. But spending on Hyatt is $1 = 1 point (except for Hyatt spending).

So, unless I am missing something here, it looks as if non-Hyatt general spending on DC is much better for transferring to Hyatt than the Hyatt card itself. Am I correct?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Unfortunately it appears you read the transfer ratio backwards. DC 1250 = GP 750. There is not an easy way to realize this because both programs use "points" as the unit of measure, but look at the airline programs to see that the first quantity listed on the website is the amount you receive, and the second quantity is the amount you must redeem.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Thanks for the correction. I did think it was odd, since the Diners Club conversion is usually worse than the co-branded card - this would have been a major exception.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Thanks for the correction. I did think it was odd, since the Diners Club conversion is usually worse than the co-branded card - this would have been a major exception.
Usually. But rhere is at least one exception: Diners Club has a better earnings rate after conversion to Best Western than either the Best Wesstern MC card (when used at non-BW properties, that is) or Amex MR.

But I don't know if there are any other exceptions.

(Most co-branded hotel cards give extra points when used at the hotels they're co-branded with. In those cases, no other card can ever do better, except when you're trying to meet a threshold spend for a promo that is.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.