Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 8, 10, 2:38 pm   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 124
Lounge access with other's card?

Hi all. My dad have a diners club card. Can I use it when I travel and get access to lounges? Will the check the diners club card has to be the same as my name in the passport?

Anyone know?
danishtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 10, 1:37 am   #2
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Admirals Club, RCC, Avis First
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishtraveller View Post
Hi all. My dad have a diners club card. Can I use it when I travel and get access to lounges? Will the check the diners club card has to be the same as my name in the passport?

Anyone know?
Usually they will check between a boarding pass and the card. That said, you may be able to argue that you have different legal names (ie - you go by a middle name on your cc, but not on your bp because it has to match passport). It would help if you and your father had similar names or his first name was your middle, etc. It definitely can't hurt to try. They're not going to confiscate the card, so I don't see where the negative is in the whole equation.
SantaClaraCyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 10, 2:51 pm   #3
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaClaraCyms View Post
Usually they will check between a boarding pass and the card. That said, you may be able to argue that you have different legal names (ie - you go by a middle name on your cc, but not on your bp because it has to match passport). It would help if you and your father had similar names or his first name was your middle, etc. It definitely can't hurt to try. They're not going to confiscate the card, so I don't see where the negative is in the whole equation.
Cool thanks a lot!
danishtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 10, 10:25 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Copenhagen
Programs: EBS
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishtraveller View Post
Hi all. My dad have a diners club card. Can I use it when I travel and get access to lounges? Will the check the diners club card has to be the same as my name in the passport?

Anyone know?
They will not check your passport, but they will check both your boardingcard and the diners card. Not the same? your will be out at least in Copenhagen. I would not make a fool of myself using others diners card or any other cards. If you do that it could be a question for the police. And infact they are allowed to confiscate the card because they might think it is stolen or fraud, dont do that to your father.

Last edited by bjerregaard; Mar 19, 10 at 10:34 pm..
bjerregaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 11, 2:05 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trondheim
Posts: 5
Access to lounge at FRA

Hi,

In april, me and my friend will be going to ALC via FRA and BCN. And since we've got so many transit-hours in Frankfurt, we consider using the Diners Club lounge.

But, it is my dad, and my friends dad who owns the Diners Club cards. My father has Diners EB.

Is it possible to use the cards to get access to the Diners Club lounge, even though we're not the legal card-holders?
enva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 11, 12:04 am   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by enva View Post
Is it possible to use the cards to get access to the Diners Club lounge, even though we're not the legal card-holders?
Some of the lounges that I have accessed using my Diners Club card have matched the name on the card with my boarding pass. Some have not. I can't comment on what happens in FRA because I have never used my DC card to access a lounge there.

I hate to sound like a stick in the mud, but using someone elses DC card to access a lounge is a bit unethical ( perhaps bordering on theft ). Since I suspect you can probably purchase lounge access in FRA for $ 25 - 30 ( I haven't checked ) I wouldn't make the attempt to access the lounge with someone elses card.
thebobmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 11, 7:37 am   #7
kpc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Plat, DJ Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,656
why not get a supplementary DC from your father? Problem solved...
__________________
Dreaming of my next flight...
My OpenFlights (since 2005)
kpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 11, 5:43 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: los angeles,ca
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
why not get a supplementary DC from your father? Problem solved...
+1
yyyccclll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 11, 9:05 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
Posts: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobmc View Post
I hate to sound like a stick in the mud, but using someone elses DC card to access a lounge is a bit unethical ( perhaps bordering on theft ). Since I suspect you can probably purchase lounge access in FRA for $ 25 - 30 ( I haven't checked ) I wouldn't make the attempt to access the lounge with someone elses card.
I don't use Mr. Nacho's card to access lounges, but I think as long as the card holder is not using it but let his daughter uses it then I don't see that as theft. For myself to see it as abuse, I would define it as if the lounge service has been used more than once.

Getting a extra card is not that cheap, and if you are not intending to use it often it's not worth it.

For the places we have been, ZRH, CPH - no boarding pass was checked according to Mr. Nacho.
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 11, 12:34 pm   #10
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 19,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho View Post
...would define it as if the lounge service has been used more than once.
I disagree. The card issuler prices the membership to take into account an average utilization rate, and this does not provide for unauthorized sharing.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 11, 3:39 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Baltic Sea
Programs: Back to Scandic, SK and AY.
Posts: 3,150
I would see this as using someone else's credit card (which it is). The lounge attendant is fully entitled to confiscate the card if he/she finds out.
tsastor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 5:53 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: Marriott Gold, United 1K/*G, A3 Blue/*Silver
Posts: 473
Airport lounge access benefit

I have my boss's diner club corporate card. Can I use it at approved airport lounges or do I need to order a card in my own name?
BA_Jfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 12, 7:17 am   #13
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 19,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan View Post
...need to order a card in my own name?
The name on the card needs to match the name on your other forms of identification. It's possible that a few lounges would not ask for other ID, but most will. You need to request your own card.
mia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:55 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.