Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

$50 2nd Checked Bag Fee on Intl Flights Effective 1 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

Just heard this new fee for international flights announced on MSNBC... DL expects it to raise $100m in extra revenue. Fee becomes effective just in time for summer overseas travel, what there is of it.

Drip... drip... drip.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fees, fees, fees -- DL management is hooked to them like a crack cocaine addict is hooked to cocaine.

It would be unlawful if the revised baggage allowance is applied to all international DL tickets already issued while DL was still marketing to the purchasers that there were two free checked bags applicable for their ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: UNITED Mileage Plus,JetBlue True Blue, American AAdvantage
Yep... here it is http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...-q1-loss_N.htm

Now lets wait for everyone to follow..........
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Just heard this new fee for international flights announced on MSNBC... DL expects it to raise $100m in extra revenue. Fee becomes effective just in time for summer overseas travel, what there is of it.

Drip... drip... drip.
I'm going to get killed for saying this, but I think that is an excellent way to generate revenue for the airline.

No reason they should charge passengers for bags from ATL-LAX but not from ATL-Panama (as an example).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:51 am

Just saw this on MSNBC. Interesting-- wonder how it'll play out, especially for those ex-NWA'ers that are already not happy.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Well they will never get a dime from me as I will never check in another bag.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I'm going to get killed for saying this, but I think that is an excellent way to generate revenue for the airline.

No reason they should charge passengers for bags from ATL-LAX but not from ATL-Panama (as an example).
+1

They are losing money. They have to generate revenue from somewhere.

From the USA Today article:

Elite frequent fliers and active military are exempt from paying Delta's new fee for a second checked bag on international flights. The first checked bag on international flights remains free.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:52 am

this is ridiculous!!

I know for a fact that Delta management reads flyer talk.

My message to them is that they all should be fired for making poor hedging bets on fuel.

Their IVY league business degrees are worth crap - just like all those fund managers on Wall Street.

How much $$ did Mommy and Daddy spend help you get those cocky financial degrees and you can't even manage your fees?

I'd like to show them all the times I've flown internationally on their airline and not checked 2 or even a bag? Can I get coupon certificates for all those times so that I may kindly redeem them when I really need to check that 2nd bag?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Boo HISS

What happened to building a "premier" airline?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by DeltaFirst
Well they will never get a dime from me as I will never check in another bag.
you're a PM....why does this affect you? hell, the majority of the people who respond in here are medallions, why are we complaining?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davescj
Boo HISS

What happened to building a "premier" airline?
Sooner or later, DL management will push for no free checked bags even on international flights and hope that the increased government allowances for airline industry concentration and cartelization will allow for such fees to stick without customers jumping to their competition.

DL is going to do something to its image internationally with these fees -- particularly for passengers originating in non-OECD markets and flying to/from the US -- but it won't be that of "premier" carrier.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...particularly for passengers originating in non-OECD markets....
What does that acronym mean?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtrue28
you're a PM....why does this affect you? hell, the majority of the people who respond in here are medallions, why are we complaining?
It does impact customers, and that includes impacting even PMs -- DL management has shown that fees it slaps onto the general customer base are often packaged with a fee waiver for elites that is nothing but a temporary fee waiver in reality. Remember that DL management is known for cutting elite benefits such as fee waivers and so the fees sooner or later become applicable to even Silver, Gold and Platinum passengers.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sooner or later, DL management will push for no free checked bags even on international flights
Yes, I would also expect that. And some competitors (that are in an even worse way) will do the same.

NWA bookings are (at the moment) not affected, right?
And there is no public date yet, when there are no NWA bookings possible anymore?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
What does that acronym mean?
OECD = Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development -- basically a rich countries' club.

non-OECD is used often as shorthand for developing countries like most of the countries in Africa, Asia and South America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.