Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

If You Had One Hour With Delta Air Lines Executives, What Would You Discuss?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

This is not a hypothetical question.

While discussing with DeltaWebDev via telephone earlier this evening regarding more details about the possibility of a FlyerTalk member gathering at the world headquarters of Delta Air Lines in Atlanta, there was still an hour in the tentative schedule that was open. One idea which we discussed and agreed is that a possible hour with FlyerTalk members and at least one Delta Air Lines executive regarding the most pressing questions and issues would be beneficial to all. Of course, this is not meant to be a session for griping and whining, but rather an in-person forum for thoughtful discussion, concise questions and constructive suggestions on how Delta Air Lines could further improve as a company and as an airline, as well as how to develop and strengthen the symbiotic relationship between Delta Air Lines and its customers to form a mutually beneficial “win-win” opportunity for all involved.

However, we do not know definitively what questions should be asked or what issues should be addressed, so we are asking you.

If you were to attend the still-tentative FlyerTalk member gathering at the world headquarters of Delta Air Lines in Atlanta and you had the opportunity to ask a question or discuss an issue with at least one executive from Delta Air Lines, what would it be?

If you believe this hour could be better spent doing something else, or if there was a chance that no Delta Air Lines executives may be available, how should that last hour be spent? I know this is an unfair question as you do not know what the tentative schedule is as of yet, but I thought I would ask it anyway.

Please post your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and recommendations in this thread. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 16, 2009 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
If DL Exec is available:

Is DL looking into alternative fuels for aircraft (or pushing vendors to do so)? Oil will inevitably rise in the future (if not now then long term) as supply decreases, therefore what steps is DL taking now to mitigate this long range risk?

If NO DL Exec is available:

Varsity catering requested (chili dogs, slaw dogs, and chili fries).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
I'm just brain dumping...most are probably low on the priority scale, but I'm tired from a long travel day and I can't think "big picture."

1) Will DL reopen the BOS Main Terminal CRC once NWA moves to A or will it remain a CO PC until CO leaves SkyTeam and (probably) moves back to C to be with UA?

2) I'd like to get a sense of how DL execs feel about elites in general. I have felt in the last few months that there has been a lessening of the value of my continued 98%+ devotion to flying DL. Although with the return of meal service on > 900 mi flights, I'm a little happier out of BOS.

3) I'd like to know why I keep getting sandwiches with @#@$@#! mustard already on them. Why can't the condiments be on the side ALWAYS??? How many times do I have to email Customer Care?

4) I'd like to know why there can't be a standard opening time for CRCs. That is, I feel a CRC should open no later than one hour before the departure of the first flight of the day. That allows members to use the club for 30 min or so before that first flight begins boarding.

5) Will MD88s ever have IFE? All BOS seems to get to ATL is 88s (the vast majority of my first leg of the day). Will domestic NWA metal get IFE?

6) Will NWA FAs be instructed to never say "The closet is full, I can't take your coat" to an F pax ever again?

Brain now done working for the day...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
No specific questions right now, but I can't imagine DL would be so thick as to hold an event like this and NOT have a session with executives, even if a relatively scripted one ala the Larry and Jeff show at the CO DOs.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
What I'd honestly think would be most beneficial would be doing something like the Q&A session that happened at CO DO IV. I encourage sbm12's excellent account to be read for some ideas: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ow-2009-a.html

In all, I think there are several questions that many FTers share:
- A discussion about the various fees out there
- Additional partners on the horizon?
- A possible new fourth tier of SkyMiles, especially for those who fly
- Network additions/changes
- Status of the merger - fleet realignment, etc.

I think the CO DO format was very successful and conducted in a very dignified atmosphere. It started with Larry Kellner and Jeff Smisek going off a PowerPoint - basically getting all that everyone would ask out of the way immediately. It (a) takes away any potential attacks and (b) makes the time much more efficient. The PowerPoint lasted about 30 minutes, followed by about 30 minutes of open Q&A - it was during this time that several other questions that weren't covered - questions about in-flight products (Internet, LiveTV for the CO folks).

I'd think a format like this would go over well, but I'm not sure how conducive it would be to the event that Canarsie and DeltaWebDev are creating.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Is any change for the better coming to T2+T3 @ JFK anytime soon? If yes, what/when can we expect?
(Well, this wouldn't exactly take an hour...)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:25 pm

Need a 4th tier

Definitely the need for a 4th tier, to give DL something that's roughly equivalent to top tier on AA, for instance. 100K bis miles would be nice, but since DL gives so many Am Ex EQP's then make it 125k....with a corresponding dedicated 4th tier SMS line and less restricted PMU's...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Crazy4Birds
Definitely the need for a 4th tier, to give DL something that's roughly equivalent to top tier on AA, for instance. 100K bis miles would be nice, but since DL gives so many Am Ex EQP's then make it 125k....with a corresponding dedicated 4th tier SMS line and less restricted PMU's...
Not to hijack the thread, but DL has a fourth tier, EP with dedicated phone number and various other benefits. A search for "Delta White Envelope" should get you details of DL's 4th Tier.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Idea removed.....(I can tell what we really want is "whining" about how "unloved" we are and how Delta should give us more....LOL!)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I'd ask about future international expansion—where do they see the big markets in the next 10-20 years? Will it be more off-beat destinations like the new African cities? Or secondary markets in Europe and Asia?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
-Aircraft plans: present fleet, current orders, future orders.
-Onboard product: IFE (charges in Y, DISH TV issues), WiFI, consistency of BE hard product
-NW and DL staff integration (unoinization)
-Status of hubs (esp CVG and MEM)
-Modernization (hopefully implosion) of JFK
-DL's mission? (What is DL's goal? Best airline? Biggest? Most destinations?)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Here are a few ....LOL!

An hour may seem like a long time, but given the number of topics that I am sure are on the minds of the FT members in this forum, the hour could go by rather quickly. Many will not get the topics that are important to them covered, several may not be able to attend, and of course as we have seen on here, many new topics arise frequently. So… while I think this is a great idea, I would begin by suggesting that we also explore the ability to have a forum with the executives are a more “on-going” basis in addition to any conversation at the proposed DO. We have already seen the great benefits in this forum from interacting with the employees at Delta that actually participate and hang around long enough to read and respond.

We may not always like the responses, or agree with them, but I always appreciate the chance to have and read the interactive discussions. We need more of them on a wide variety of topics.

I think the tendency to go on, and sometimes be perceived as "whining" is due to the fact, we are not sure anyone from Delta is really listening. Please let us know we are being heard... it really goes a LONG way.

Here are a few that come to mind for me, and some themes that I have seen in many of the threads on here:

- How can Flyer Talk members be given a chance to provide insight and feedback to proposed changes prior to them getting announced?

- International upgrades using PMU certificates. Why can’t Elite member get upgrades for available seats on international flight on the day of travel they way they can for domestic flights? Many flights go out with empty BE seats when Elite members have been on the upgrade list for weeks.

- What specific international destinations are you considering adding/discontinuing in the next 12-24 months?

- What are the future plans for the fleet? 747-400, DC-9, 787, 777-200LR, etc. What are the plans for upgrading the existing fleet? 767, 757, etc.
What are the plans for creating a more universal Business Elite product across the routes and aircraft?
What are the plans/timeline to introduce the new choice seating on international flights?

- What are the plans for the Delta SkyClubs – What will change, what will stay the same?

- What benefits is Delta seeing from the merger? What issues are the merger creating?

- What are the future plans for the current “hubs”. Any plans to discontinue, scale back/up hubs in the future?

- Are there any restrictions on Delta employee participating in the FlyerTalk discussions? Many have been very helpful and informative and provided us with some very valuable insight.

- Award Tickets – Currently the availability of award seats flights to popular destinations (Hawaii, Europe, etc.), are not always open to booking/availability of award tickets at the same time. (Used to be 331 days out from departure). We know that there are many factors that come into play here, but it makes it very frustrating to book award travel well in advance with planning, when the window of availability varies so widely. What can be done to create some more predictability here so that we can plan award travel better?

- Promotions – Happy Birthday Double Medallion Qualification Miles and zillions of Partner promotions seem to be greatly devaluing the SkyMiles program.

- Many of us know we are a small minority of the total Delta customer population, but we feel that the FlyerTalk members also represent many of the top-tier customers for Delta in terms on “in-seat” miles and revenue. How much does Delta care about the FlyerTalk community as a segment of the overall customer population? What do we represent in terms of total revenue for Delta?

- Tell us more about the Executive Partner program – what are the plans for the future of this program. Many of the FT members would like to have a better idea of what the qualifications are and how that tier is selected.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Excellent list atldlff! I'd be happy using that list as our list - very good, comprehensive list.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Not to hijack the thread, but DL has a fourth tier, EP with dedicated phone number and various other benefits. A search for "Delta White Envelope" should get you details of DL's 4th Tier.
Yeah, most airlines have an 'unpublished criteria' super-VIP tier. I'm well aware of Delta White Envelope...so perhaps I should have said 'More Restrictive 3rd Tier'....
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
DL's mission? (What is DL's goal? Best airline? Biggest? Most destinations?)
+1

Right now, I'm not sure they have one.

Also, I would like an honest answer about what value they place on SM, GM, PM. I suspect most here would not like the honest answer, but I would still like to hear it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.