Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

For Surfers.....new Surfboard Price For Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For Surfers.....new Surfboard Price For Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by surferdl
Diver
You are wrong, read DLs policy, surfboards policy, surfboards are always oversized/ excess baggage. Does not matter what class of service u fly. No way around paying, unless u fly SQ
I did read it, and you are wrong.

Surfboards are always charged a fee, but it is not an "excess baggage" charge on delta.

https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...oods/index.jsp

For example, for archery equipment, it specifies excess baggage fees apply:

One item of archery equipment is accepted as the passenger's one free checked bag. The item must be in a container of sufficient strength to protect the equipment.

Items in excess of the total free baggage allowance will be subject to excess baggage fees apply.

For surfboards, it does NOT specify excess baggage fees:

One item of surfing equipment is accepted as baggage for $175 (for travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico) and $300 (for travel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico).

Additional surfboard restrictions and exceptions:

* Delta Connection carrier's surfboard acceptance and charges may vary.
* If not in a protective case, you must fill out a limited liability release before we accept the surfboard.
* Surfboards are allowed one board per bag; additional boards in a bag will be charged, per board.
* Surfboards over 70 pounds will be charged the excess weight fee.
* Between Honolulu and Maui, there is a $20 charge each way.

Continental as posted earlier states $400 for three boards. If you did 3 for $100, somebody cut you a break, or didn't know the complete fee rules.

Most of the legacies match each other on fares and fees, but sporting equipment fees seem to vary significantly.

Enjoy,

David
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
I have a receipt here that says excess baggage on it, however it was the only bag I checked.

If the outside linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches, excess baggage fees will apply.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have a receipt here that says excess baggage on it, however it was the only bag I checked.
Aren't DL checked bag fees generally charged as "excess baggage" since the baggage triggering the charge is baggage in excess of free checked luggage allowance.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I think DL has just re-wrote the entire surfboard policy. They have called it excess baggage/oversize baggage in the past.

Now, I guess if you check in 1 bag, then check in your surfboard bag, you will get hit with 2 fees. Spirit does that, they charge you 50 for your board bag, then 20 for baggage fee.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The fees can obviously be paid at the airport (at least as of now). Can these fees be paid in cash and/or coins?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

At the airport for DL, Spirit on the website.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:05 am

Programs: EY Platinum, UA PremiereG, Hilton Diamond, Aclub Gold, Hertz PCs
WELL, DL HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER FOR SURF-TRIPS, BEING A PROFESSIONAL SURFER,THERE GOES 40K A YEAR ON TICKETS.

One item of surfing equipment is accepted as baggage for $175 (for travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico) and $300 (for travel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico).

Additional surfboard restrictions and exceptions:

* Delta Connection carrier's surfboard acceptance and charges may vary.
* If not in a protective case, you must fill out a limited liability release before we accept the surfboard.
* Surfboards are allowed one board per bag; additional boards in a bag will be charged, per board.
* Surfboards over 70 pounds will be charged the excess weight fee.
* Between Honolulu and Maui, there is a $20 charge each way.

I am posting this on surfline.com, the largest surfing site in the world. Delta should ask them the daily traffic they have on the net.
Hey man! you're great to post this thing!
when there is a charge for the surfboards i feel like as my money has been stolen from the pocket!
it's a long time i want to build a web site or something to advise surfers against those thieve's airlines!
WIth DL payed in July about 500 U$ ticket for CostaRica and 300 U$ for the surfoards from ATL.
As surfboards ( about 6 to 6'6" ) are not really handled as special bags my opinion is they should consider as a regular bags.
i know you can fly from America to Hawaii only with airlines who will let you pay....but
Here a list of fair Airlines who don't charge you for the boards i flew with:
1) Air New Zealand ( when you travel with surfboards in Econony the allow you 10 Kilos more ) can carry 30
2) Qantas
3) Singapore Air
4) Qatar
5) Cathay Pacific
6) Ethiad
7) Thai ( when you have fnal destination Bali )
8) Garuda

i think surfers are one of the best customers for the airlines in the world they should consider to reduce those fees even we're gonna travel as well!
i am Gold Member in Star Alliance and can bring up to 40 kilos and Golf Equipment for free....but who cares about golf equipment which is much more heavy than 2 or 3 boards!?!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: ua dl
no way they are checking to see if you have 2 boards in one bag. You could get 3 boards in under the 70 lb limit for sure
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: EY Platinum, UA PremiereG, Hilton Diamond, Aclub Gold, Hertz PCs
Originally Posted by awkward_hippo
no way they are checking to see if you have 2 boards in one bag. You could get 3 boards in under the 70 lb limit for sure
you mean for free????
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum, Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond
I have never had Delta ask me to open a board bag.

Continental has asked me to open my bag every time.

I like Delta and take the "what are you going to do" approach. My travel comfort and consistancy is worth 300 dollars. If I couldn't afford the board fee's chances are it wasn't going to be that fun of a trip anyway.

Until yhey get a CEO that surfs I suppose the bag fees are here to stay.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I've asked before....
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:58 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Umm.. boo friggin hoo dudes?

As a non-surfer, like the vast majority of all flyers out there, I welcome the additional source of revenue from a tiny minority with an abonormally sized piece of luggage to-- hopefully-- keep normal fares from increasing.

Next, let's get the golfers!

i hope u surfrz arent bumd out by all this guyz! lol
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:07 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Umm.. boo friggin hoo dudes?

As a non-surfer, like the vast majority of all flyers out there, I welcome the additional source of revenue from a tiny minority with an abonormally sized piece of luggage to-- hopefully-- keep normal fares from increasing.

Next, let's get the golfers!

i hope u surfrz arent bumd out by all this guyz! lol

So, you think its okay for the minority of surfers out there to subsidize the tickets of the majority?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.