Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

American Express and Delta Air Lines Launch the Delta Reserve Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080422/20080422006456.html?.v=2
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Not bad, though not what I had hoped based on previous reports of the $450 annual fee. I had hoped it would be an American Express Platinum charge card with Skymiles substituted for Membership Rewards, and that it would be the first of a Reserve series of charge cards linked to a variety of rewards programs. Alas, it's only a subset of Platinum ...

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...deltareserve#1
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CO Pres+
It's quite similar to CO President's card, although I'll argue this one is more useful
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbwpchen
It's quite similar to CO President's card, although I'll argue this one is more useful
Yes and no. Much better MQM/EQM earning rates, though otherwise I'd say both are pretty poor deals. I do like that the companion certificate can be used in F or Y, though the details are vague enough that who knows if it will actually be useful. To CO card actually comes with a full PC membership as I understand it, however. This seems to get the equivalent of AmEx Platinum access for DL only, so that makes it much worse. And it doesn't include any of the other "good" benefits from the AmEx Platinum (FHR, 2-4-1, etc.) even at the same price. I don't know that I could justify this unless I really needed the 30K MQMs.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by sbm12
This seems to get the equivalent of AmEx Platinum access for DL only, so that makes it much worse. And it doesn't include any of the other "good" benefits from the AmEx Platinum (FHR, 2-4-1, etc.) even at the same price. I don't know that I could justify this unless I really needed the 30K MQMs.
That's the way I look at it too! Same price as AMEX PLAT and benefits that only apply to DL. In addition you don't have the flexibility to use acquired points on anyone other than DL and its partners when with the AMEX PLAT you have some (not as many as several years ago ) other airline, hotel, etc. alternatives to use your MR points on.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by sbm12
To CO card actually comes with a full PC membership as I understand it, however. This seems to get the equivalent of AmEx Platinum access for DL only, so that makes it much worse.
correct...my mom has that, and it's a full PC membership, with CO,DL,NW etc lounges included.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Just applied now-- they offer an additional Reserve card for about $175 (so additional cardholder gets lounge access, I'd guess) or an additional SM Plat card for no charge.

I wonder if these 30,000 MQMs are in addition to the 20,000 I already get with my Skymiles Platinum card? Below are the relevant footnotes from the application, but I can't decipher it. Do any 2 of the existing card types mentioned (Options, Classic, Gold, Platinum) have annual MQM bonuses, and if so, can you get multiple MQM bonuses from the 2 different card types? Or is this the first time they've offered MQM bonuses for any card type other than Plat?

"If in any calendar year your Eligible Spending on your Delta Reserve Card is $30,000 or more, you will be awarded 15,000 Bonus Miles and 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs). The 15,000 MQMs are not redeemable and only count towards Medallion status. The MQMs are yours to keep or gift to someone else, and if in that same calendar year your Eligible Spending on your Delta Reserve Card is $60,000 or more, you will be awarded 15,000 Bonus Miles and 15,000 MQMs. The MQMs are yours to keep or gift to someone else. MQM gift recipients must have a valid SkyMiles account. If within 90 days, you do not elect to designate an MQM recipient, the MQMs will be deposited in your SkyMiles account. You may be permitted to have more than one Options, Classic, Gold, Platinum, or Delta Reserve Card from American Express account; however, you are only eligible to receive one annual bonus for each type (i.e., Options, Classic, Gold, Platinum, or Delta Reserve) of Delta SkyMiles Credit Card account from American Express."
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:31 pm
mia

This page lists all of the personal Skymiles credit cards...

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_...ners/index.jsp

It appears MQM bonuses are offered only on Reserve and Platinum cards, but there are personal and business versions. I take eligible to receive one annual bonus for each type to mean these are stackable, which suggests one could buy Platinum Medallion (75,000 MQM) status without flying by combining personal and business cards with substantial spending.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I know that you can't "stack" personal and business SM Plats because I have both and they limit my MQMs to 20,000 even though I earn max MQMs on both. I guess this is why I have a hard believing that I can get 50,000 MQMs by using a Plat and a Reserve card, even though that's what it appears they're saying. I'll hope for the best, though it would be useful to know ahead of time so I could allocate my credit card usage accordingly. The person who took my application didn't know more than I did by reading the web site, and wasn't catching on to what I was asking her.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Cool card. AMEX says "Give the MQMs earned from Card spending to colleagues, friends or family – for the first time ever."

This provides a good way to stack MQMs. Get your wealthy friends to get the card, use it a bit, then gift you the MQMs you need for DL Plat status.:-:
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:31 am

Got this offer in an email as well. Already have a Plat Delta Skymiles Amex card. Should I take this offer? Not real clear on which one has better benefits.

Also, maybe off topic, but I currently have a Gold Amex Rewards Card as well as this Plat Delta Amex card. Should I be able to get one of the annual fees waived?

Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TwoShipps
Got this offer in an email as well. Already have a Plat Delta Skymiles Amex card. Should I take this offer? Not real clear on which one has better benefits.
If you want to overpay for CRC access and ability to accrue more MQMs via spending rather than via flying then this card seems like a pretty good deal.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by safigan
I know that you can't "stack" personal and business SM Plats because I have both and they limit my MQMs to 20,000 even though I earn max MQMs on both. I guess this is why I have a hard believing that I can get 50,000 MQMs by using a Plat and a Reserve card, even though that's what it appears they're saying. I'll hope for the best, though it would be useful to know ahead of time so I could allocate my credit card usage accordingly. The person who took my application didn't know more than I did by reading the web site, and wasn't catching on to what I was asking her.
You can double check in the Delta forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811005 , but I and many others have gotten the 20,000 MQM for the personal card AND the 20,000 MQM for the business card so I know that it can be done. Since the agreement for the reserve card says "you are only eligible to receive one annual bonus for each type (i.e., Options, Classic, Gold, Platinum, or Delta Reserve)" that would mean you could earn 70,000MQM just with spending having two platinums and one reserve.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:28 am

Sky Club Benefit

Does anyone know the definitive rule on allowed guests using the Delta Reserve Card? The Delta Skyclub Locations page on the Delta website says 2 guests while the fine print on the Amex Delta Reserve home page says 2 guests or spouse and children under 21. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:05 am
mia

[Moderator action...]

In my understanding the Delta Reserve card is simply bundled with a Skyclub membership and the guest rules would be identical. I am moving this thread to the Skymiles section for a definitive answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.