Using drink vouchers for food

Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Using drink vouchers for food

Last edited by underattack; Oct 20, 2009 at 6:15 pm
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Common sense would make you think you would. The voucher is worth $5, so I would think $5 of food could be purchased. But we're talking about Delta, common sense sometimes is elusive.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:31 am

Well I wouldnt think so. The meal they are charging for cost them much more to produce than a mixed drink. They sell the mixed drink for $5.00, but that little bottle probably only cost them .25 cents, where as the meal probably cost them $3 or $4 dollars.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
I have 8 of those coupons, and am in the same boat as a non drinker. That would be cool if it could be used for food. Who wants to test it out?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If my neighbor is going to buy a drink with cash and I want a meal with a voucher, a swap could be done. The FAs could do the same thing. Someone paid cash and the FA put it towards the food, my voucher would go towards the drink.

Oinc, wouldn't that mean that DL only wants people to buy the headphones with the voucher since it is only worth $2? Why would DL even give you the option of buying a drink then?
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by underattack
As a gold medallion, I got 4 free drink tickets this year. Not bad, but I don't drink (and have enough headsets to supply a plane with). Has anybody had any luck using these coupons for food? Given that DL now charges for food on some domestic flights, it would be nice to use them for food vs. having to start to drink. (probably better on the FAs as well).
Here's your answer.....

>> Initially, we will accept cash and credit cards as forms of payment. Our goal is to offer a cashless program next year, which will allow for easier transactions. Courtesy coupons will continue to be redeemed for a beer, cocktail, headset or wine split, but will not be an acceptable form of payment for food or snacks. <<

This was as of the end of last year.

Last edited by OHDL1; Feb 9, 2008 at 11:35 am Reason: Adding info
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by onic
, but that little bottle probably only cost them .25 cents,
Common believe here is that it doesn't cost them anything as the alcohol companies supposedly give it to them.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Trade the drink voucher with someone on the flight for $5 worth of food. @:-)
Old Feb 9, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Silver, HH Silver, SPG Gold, BW Plat, Amex Plat
I gave one to my Dad to use for a movie on an ex-song plane and they took it no problem.

http://www.gmsgolfsales.com/
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:22 pm

You mean you would actually ask your neighbor to buy your voucher for $5 so you can get some food at a discount?!?!?!?!? Talk about tacky...

Why don't you just sell them on eBay? I'm sure you'll get a few $$ for them...
Old Feb 9, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaPurser
You mean you would actually ask your neighbor to buy your voucher for $5 so you can get some food at a discount?!?!?!?!? Talk about tacky...

Why wouldn't a swap work?

Because you're not supposed to sell anything Delta related and we'll just get back to the white envelope debacle.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by DeltaPurser

that's not tacky...come on! tacky would be taking the big bottle of water in the CRC or something
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
A little off-topic, but I tried to use an old 2006-2007 drink voucher the other day in coach (I didn't have any newer (07-08 or 08-09) vouchers in my briefcase) and the FA was pretty abrupt in saying that they could no longer be used. I understand that the are no longer valid, of course, but I thought it was common practice to accept them anyways... Given that drinks cost DL next to nothing, you'd think they'd make the medallion coupons with no expiration date. They are proof that you gave the airline lots of money at one time (and the fact that you are on the plane suggests you're still giving it to them)--it'd be a cheap way to get goodwill.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Common believe here is that it doesn't cost them anything as the alcohol companies supposedly give it to them.
I can't imagine that to be true. Why give free alcohol to the airlines and charge bars and restaurants?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I can't imagine that to be true. Why give free alcohol to the airlines and charge bars and restaurants?
As another form of advertising. How many of you knew about Amarula before Brown & Forman brought it onto DL flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.