Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta becomes first US airline with carbon offset program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, I guess this was inevitable. And, to Delta's credit, their voluntary program is focused on something that's not totally insane: planting trees.

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070418/117636.html
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:34 pm
J-M
Suspended

No thanks...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
I agree that the tree planting is much better than it could have been (eg buying emissions credits, etc). it will be interesting to see how they incorporate this option into the online ticket purchasing process (ie at the end of the process, opt in vs opt out, etc).
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'll be happy to redirect all my extorted "security" fees to this program. @:-)

Otherwise, no thanks! I pay waaaaay too much in taxes/fees/graft as it is. Reapportion some of those monies. Don't come crying to me for more!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'd love to know the percentage of people who will pay the global warming surcharge. Hopefully, Delta will release the number.

With all the current hype on global warning (I've actually had people approach me and tell me they're concerned about whether "the world will be habitable for your kids"), I'm guessing some will contribute. At least initially. I'm guessing they'll get a 5% response rate, but that's just a wild guess.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:56 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Tree hugging hippies.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold
Sign me up. I will gladly pay the small amount to ensure more trees are planted. Call me whatever you'd like.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:06 pm

Red face I like it!

I like the idea. It's definitely something on many peoples minds right now and might help set them apart from other airlines. That being said, I'm not sure I'd want to pay for it.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I guess I'd better go find a tree to hug

From a publicity standpoint, I think it's a good move. From an environmental policy standpoint, I wonder what, if any effect, planting 47,000 trees will really have?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:16 pm

47,000 is just the number they'll plant for their employees. I assume the other number will be based on customer contributions.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I guess I'd better go find a tree to hug

From a publicity standpoint, I think it's a good move. From an environmental policy standpoint, I wonder what, if any effect, planting 47,000 trees will really have?
Is planting trees even a good idea? I imagine the answer is "yes" and "no" -- depending on what you plant and where. While trees are obviously a good thing, we all know that too much of anything anywhere can be a bad thing.

I could be wrong, but I have this sneaking suspicion that, a decade or two from now, the current climate scare -- and the strange ways Westerners are trying to "do something about it" -- will look a tad silly. There will be more sophisticated way to analyze and respond to this "threat," assuming it's shown there is one.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Spiff
I'll be happy to redirect all my extorted "security" fees to this program. @:-)

Otherwise, no thanks! I pay waaaaay too much in taxes/fees/graft as it is. Reapportion some of those monies. Don't come crying to me for more!
It is optional.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It is optional.
True, but there could be so many "optional" items tacked on; where does it end?

As I said before, my "security" dollars are available. Otherwise, the $50 (on the low side) per ticket worth of fees/graft could easily be tapped into. 25+% taxes per ticket isn't being used effectively and such a high percentage is a disgrace.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
From a publicity standpoint, I think it's a good move.
And that's probably DL's main motive here, publicity. They see that people across the globe are getting paranoid about Global Warming, so they might as well try to make some money off it.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:19 pm

Talking Global warming = liberal hippie tree-huggers' plot to rule the earth!

Ok, so here we go - one US airline decides to voluntarily offer a carbon-offset program and we get the usual comments about global warming not being a problem or being made up completely!

I have always considered the FT bunch to be well-traveled and well-educated! Apparently, the 2 things do not go hand in hand. Most scientists around the globe think the world is warming and it is 90% likely that it is being caused by man.

The rest of the DEVELOPED world is actively trying to do something about it - with the US being an outlier and concentrating on widening the interstate in downtown PHX to 12 lanes each way and on how many rows of seats could be placed in a Suburban!

Folks, this is not about the shrould of Turin. It's about as clear as cigarettes causing lung cancer and increasing the death rate.

Then again, what can one expect from a country that just rolled back abortion rights 30+ years....

Oh, and btw, there was a controversial study that suggested that planting trees in moderate climate regions may actually INCREASE global warming because they reflect less sunlight than snow-covered land - the study suggested that reforestation is most beneficial near the equator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.