Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Airport Parking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
If you can get your hands on a MARTA map, you can find one of the Park and Ride MARTA stations and leave your car there, then take MARTA in. That way you pay about $3.50 (roundtrip MARTA fare) and avoid the ghastly parking fees.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:49 am

I'm not sure what this Wed. will be like,but I'd expect it to be a madhouse. Assuming you must go through the non-elite security line,I'd tack on a potential hour. Most lots may be full, but the park-n-ride lots ($9/day)may be open (you can check on-line,but the news may not be up-todate). My personal favorite ($8 and often overlooked) is the West lot. Take a right after you've passed the Delta terminal (like you're heading to the Airtran terminal).
You can do a web search for independent lots nearby. Most have printable coupons.
Marta ,as mentioned above,is another elective.Since I've never used them, I can't be much help with where to park and catch the train.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:52 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My concern with MARTA is the safety of my car while it is parked there. Also, what does MARTA charge for parking my car at their station for 5 days?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
If you can get your hands on a MARTA map, you can find one of the Park and Ride MARTA stations and leave your car there, then take MARTA in. That way you pay about $3.50 (roundtrip MARTA fare) and avoid the ghastly parking fees.</font>
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andywreid:
My concern with MARTA is the safety of my car while it is parked there. Also, what does MARTA charge for parking my car at their station for 5 days?

</font>
http://www.itsmarta.com/howto/parking.htm

That site has the parking info for MARTA. If you park at Lindbergh ($6 per day) or Dunwoody ($3 per day) you shouldn't have to worry about your car, those are both in pretty good areas of town.

Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andywreid:

</font>
To answer your second question first - MARTA charges $3 per day ($6 per day at North Springs) in the decks at those stations where it permits long-term parking (a lot lower than any on- or off-airport lot). Go to www.itsmarta.com for a list of locations.

I've left my car at Lenox and Sandy Springs for as much as 2 weeks with no problems, but YMMV. If you're coming onto town on Hwy 78, only Kensington on the east line has long term parking, but you'd have to change trains at Five Points to go to the airport. If you're coming in on 316, I would park at Lenox on the northeast line - parking is in a deck connected to an office building. You could also come west on 285 and use either Dunwoody, Sandy Springs or North Springs, which are all decked parking and convenient to I-285 on the north line. You would not have to change trains; just make sure you catch the right train when you leave the airport.

There are no gurantees about security (as with any lot/deck), but most to them seem to be in pretty good shape, with secured decks and somewhat visible security.

If you want to drive to the airport, don't even try to go on-airport - it will be a zoo well before noon on Wednesday. I would recommend parking at any of the bigger off-airport lots on Camp Creek Parkway. Each has buses to take you to the terminal.

I would plan to get to the airport at least 2-1/2 hours ahead of your flight, perhaps a bit more. Between TSA taking over (and doing a pretty thorough job) and Thansgiving being generally amateur hour as far as people not knowing what to do to prepare for security, the lines could get long.

[This message has been edited by fcrit (edited 11-26-2002).]
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:56 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I do NOT recommend Marta. If you are carrying any amount of luggage and you are not familiar with Atlanta, Marta can be a bit daunting - not to mention safety concerns in the off hours.

You may find parking at one of the on-airport facilities, but your best bet for finding space is to use one of the park/ride lots that are on Camp Creek Parkway. Camp Creek juts out due west from the airport and shares the exit from I-85 if you are approaching from the north. If you get lost and end up in the terminal, simply keep going through and as you start to exit the termial area, watch for signs to Camp Creek.

With the madhouse they expect at ATL, allow at least two hours.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keeton:
I do NOT recommend Marta. If you are carrying any amount of luggage and you are not familiar with Atlanta, Marta can be a bit daunting</font>
With a plain north-south/east-west area of coverage, I think Marta is the most simple "mass-transit" system in the county. You shouldn't experience anything daunting should you decide to take Marta to the airport.

Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:06 am

I wouldn't try to park at the airport at that time on one of the busiest travel days of the year. I would go to Camp Creek Parkway and use one of the 3rd-party lots there. It is best to get on Camp Creek Parkway from I-285 if that is convenient from your direction of travel. The lots closer to I-285 (further from the airport) fill up last and are generally less expensive.

If you do want to try to park at the airport, there is a low power AM transmitter with info on which lots have spaces (810 AM IIRC) which you can pick up about a mile away, including on Camp Creek. I always approach the airport from Camp Creek and tune in this station - if the airport lots are full I pull info a favorite Camp Creek lot.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:21 am

There is definitely nothing wrong with taking MARTA. I take it to the airport all the time, and at all hours of the day. I have never had any problems at all. It drops you off right in the terminal.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keeton:
I do NOT recommend Marta. If you are carrying any amount of luggage and you are not familiar with Atlanta, Marta can be a bit daunting - not to mention safety concerns in the off hours.
</font>

I disagree. Marta will probably be a lot easier for you this weekend. If you do have a couple huge suitcases, then drive, but if they are not too cumbersome, take Marta. It will be cheaper, faster and less aggravating. Remember, you will still have to drive through Atlanta too and it will be during prime rush hour on the day before Thanksgiving.

I'm assuming you are coming from (or near) UGA so just take 316 to 85S. Get off at the Doraville lot and take the train all the way down to the airport. Both Doraville and the airport are at opposite ends of the North/South (Orange) line so you can't screw it up. Don't get off the train until they kick you off. I've traveled Marta hundreds of times (with and without luggage) at all hours and never seen (or experienced) any incidents that made me consider alternative transportation methods.

If you decide to drive, leave early. I'm not talking a couple hours before your flight, but maybe even before lunch time. People will be leaving work early Wednesday and traffic is a *****. I've spent 1.5 hours going just from Pleasant Hill Rd on 85 to 285 before and that wasn't on the day before Thanksgiving. Take 85 South through the city until you hit the ATL airport exit. There will be a sign for Camp Creek Parkway. Take that and find yourself a satellite lot to park in. They all offer continuous shuttle service to the airline ticketing/check-in areas. The first two I think you will pass is Preflight on your left ($7.50 uncovered/$9 or $10 covered) and some iteration of Park N Fly on your right. (~$9 uncovered/~$14 covered). I use Preflight every week. Can't complain. The web ( http://preflightparking.com/lo-atl.shtml ) offers a coupon that will give you one free day of parking. There are over a dozen other lots, so feel free to choose any of them. Hope this helps.

On a side note, I don't know if you are a bulldawg fan, but I guess you'll miss them lose to GaTech on Saturday. Just thought I'd throw that in for ya! Have a good flight.

Fixed URL formatting.

[This message has been edited by yashan (edited 11-26-2002).]
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:06 pm

If you decide to take the "It's Smarta on Marta" route (best solution, IMO), Kensington Station is probably closest if you're travelling south on Hwy. 78. If you're coming down 316, the Doraville Station is probably best - both offer long-term parking @ $6/day. Since you know nothing about Atlanta, pull up the Marta website (above), note the stations' addresses , then go to "Mapquest" or other map site for directions from your location to the respective stations. Good luck!

---------------------------------------------
I am not familiar with the Atlanta area at all, so any help would be appreciated.[/B][/QUOTE]

Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mattgoolsby:
There is definitely nothing wrong with taking MARTA. I take it to the airport all the time, and at all hours of the day. I have never had any problems at all. It drops you off right in the terminal.</font>
I stand by my comments. Particularly for someone not used to Atlanta or the transit system.

For a day trip where all you are carrying is your briefcase and you have convenient access to a station, Marta can be terrific.

But Marta is not luggage friendly. You are supposed to put your luggage in the forward part of the car separate from the seats. A colleague of mine has had luggage stolen on the train. A former neighbor, who is part of the Marta security, indicated that stolen bags are not uncommon.

Perhaps it is not as bad as the New Youk subways were in the 80's, but I would not recommend someone unfamiliar with the system to take an after-hours trip.

Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:51 pm

I thought Marta only allowed parking for 24 hours. I could be wrong.

I have parked for $6 per day at the off-airport parking (Prestige Auto Parking, Parking Spot, etc.) off Camp Creek Parkway (exit 2 on I-285). If you have luggage, the driver will help.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The issue with MARTA is not of concern when you are departing, but may be depending on when are you returning? If you are returning on a late night flight I would avoid MARTA like a plague. As for parking on 11/27, I would recommend that you try and park at the airport (listen to AM 1120? as you get close) and if there is no parking available cruise on out Camp Creek Pkwy and pick the first park-n-ride that has availability as others have suggested. If you make it all the way to I-285 with out a place to park, take 285 South to Riverdale Road and head North back towards the airport. Look for signs to the Georgia International Convention Center, park in the hotel parking lot, and tip the bellman $20 to get a hotel van ride to the airport.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
You are supposed to put your luggage in the forward part of the car separate from the seats. A colleague of mine has had luggage stolen on the train.</font>
This is correct (obvious) that you shouldn't anywhere, whether on Marta or not, stash your luggage where you can't see it and it's not secure. The easy solution is to just keep your luggage next to you no matter where you sit on the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.