Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Salt Lake City (SLC): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for SLC:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D and D-I: 30 minutes
I-D and I-I: 55 minutes. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic arrival and thus the 30 minute D-D or D-I connection time applies.

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2001, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
SLC interline conx (AA->DL) in 57 minutes?

I have a very goofy trip routing GSP-DFW-SLC-BOI coming up that's going to require me to connect from AA to DL at night at SLC. I get in on at 9:03pm (it looks like they use A1 at SLC), and leave for BOI at 10pm on DL mainline. I thought about changing to DL at DFW instead of SLC, but the difference in price, lost free upgrade, and the 40% on time rating of DL's DFW-SLC flight quashed that idea.

Any suggestions for navigating the SLC airport? I'm going to be carrying a garment bag and a briefcase, and will be flying in F on the DFW-SLC leg so I'll be off the plane quickly.
Old May 9, 2001, 12:42 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You should be fine. I found the SLC airport pretty easy to navigate - even making a connection from the C concourse to SkyWest's E concourse was pretty easy.
MCT in SLC is 25 minutes - and from my experience, if your plane to SLC is late, your flight departing from SLC will be, too.
Old May 9, 2001, 1:39 pm

SLC is a relatively small airport.

Here is a link to the DL map of SLC. Note terminal 1 is not shown in detail, but everything is connected and all you have to do is use the walkway to get from terminal 1 to the C or D concourse.
http://www.delta.com/travel/maps_gui.../map/index.jsp

Hope this helps!
Old May 9, 2001, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks! I can't imagine that it'll be that busy on a Tuesday night. I was a little concerned that the two terminals would be physically separated like say PHX.

If it's less than a mile indoor walk from gate to gate, I'll be fine. In fact, it'll probably be shorter than my connection from A0 to A37 trek earlier that evening at DFW!
Old May 9, 2001, 4:36 pm

The distance should be no more than 1/4 mile if that!

And, there are moving walkways!!!
Old May 9, 2001, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I would think you could make this connection in under 15 minutes with a brisk walk.

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 05-09-2001).]
Old Feb 6, 2002, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat

I will be requesting a SkyMiles award ticket for SEA-COS via SLC in March, but several of the SLC connection time options presented seem insufficient to me. I fly 20 RTs per year on NW or CO connecting via MSP/DTW/IAH, where 90 minutes connections are the norm, and only fly DL thru SLC once every few years.

1. For a connection from regular jet (SEA-SLC) to Canadair Regional Jet (SLC-COS), is 26 minutes a realistic connection time ?

2. Is there a tarmac bus involved in getting to/from the Canadair RJ (such as used by AA at DFW, NW at MSP/DTW, etc.) ?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 6, 2002, 8:08 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
25 minutes is the minimum cxn time in SLC for most online DL flights. Regional to mainline is an easy walk and does not involve a bus.
Old Feb 6, 2002, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I would not consider that a problem in SLC, DFW or ATL with Delta. In CVG - Cinnci - that could be a problem since you have to take the da*n shuttle bus from the Comair terminal to the main terminal. Just about the dumbest ground transportation system around. No wait, Dulles is worse.
Old Feb 6, 2002, 9:40 pm

I would say that 26 minutes is reasonable in SLC if you run from gate to gate. All the CJRs are in a single wing/terminal.

Depending on where your plane arrives in the Delta terminal, you need walk up to the main concourse, turn right and walk a few hundred feet to the CJR concourse, down the stairs, and across a large waiting area. It can be done in 26 minutes, but if it were me, I would prefer more.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 8:05 am

Location: SLC, UT/ Delta - PM; Marriott - PM; Hilton - Gold; Hyatt - Diamond, Hertz - President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hsmythe:
I will be requesting a SkyMiles award ticket for SEA-COS via SLC in March, but several of the SLC connection time options presented seem insufficient to me. I fly 20 RTs per year on NW or CO connecting via MSP/DTW/IAH, where 90 minutes connections are the norm, and only fly DL thru SLC once every few years.

1. For a connection from regular jet (SEA-SLC) to Canadair Regional Jet (SLC-COS), is 26 minutes a realistic connection time ?

2. Is there a tarmac bus involved in getting to/from the Canadair RJ (such as used by AA at DFW, NW at MSP/DTW, etc.) ?

Thanks for the advice.
</font>
I make connections at my home airport (SLC) this close all the time.

However, Delta has been flying in late an awful lot lately, so take that into consideration.
Old Feb 7, 2002, 9:02 am
Gui

In most airports 26 minutes most of the time is perhaps cutting it close. You should be fine to make your COS connection @ SLC with the Delta Connection Skywest. The connection will leave out of the E concourse..you will arrive @ either the C or D concourse. You will be in great shape if it is D..you will need to step on it if it is C. In either case you should be fine.

Old Feb 7, 2002, 11:15 am

All the above posters seem to be saying *YOU* should make it. What about your luggage?
Old Feb 7, 2002, 11:17 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by A Delta CUSTOMER!:
All the above posters seem to be saying *YOU* should make it. What about your luggage?</font>
It's nearly always the case that when the person can make it, the luggage can too.

Also, keep in mind that it does not behoove an airline to set unrealistic legal connection times. Misconnects and lost buggage are expensive headaches for airlines. If 25 minutes was not ample time, business needs would direct DL to increase it.

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 02-07-2002).]
Old Feb 7, 2002, 11:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
25 minutes may be the posted rule, but how often is a flight just 10 min late? How much longer does it take to deplane if you're in the back of the RJ (not much, but in this scenario, the minutes add up quickly)? With the boarding doors on your next flight being closed 10 min before departure, you're looking at only 15 min, minus any delays to get to your next flight. I'm great at sprinting with luggage but even I would be nervous about this connection. You might want to see when the next flight is and if it would work for you were you to misconnect and also what your chances would be for standing by for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.