Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Cincinnati (CVG): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF, these are the MCTs for CVG:

For DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes
D-I: 30 minutes
I-D: 55 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 40 minutes if coming from NAS)
I-I: 55 minutes (30 minutes if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, 40 minutes if coming from NAS)

Between DL to/from another carrier: 1 hour D-D

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 40 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour
I-I: 1 hour
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2002, 11:51 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

In a couple of weeks will be flying DL 810 connecting to DL 44. Have recently been monitoring those flights. 810 has been consistently running late, thus allowing only about 15 minutes for connection. Will I make it? Will DL in LAX come up with an alternative flight? Spouse and I are using upgrades (M fare) and non-stop AF to CDG is currently unavailable.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You might get more response if you were to include a few more details. What time does each flight get in and leave, via schedule? Is the 15 minutes per schedule, or your estimate? No idea right off where 810 and 44 are to and from without looking them up. In checking the online status, you might want to note which gates they connect through as well. Of course these can always change, but it gives you an idea if you are within a few gates or the next terminal.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
In a couple of weeks will be flying DL 810 connecting to DL 44. Have recently been monitoring those flights. 810 has been consistently running late, thus allowing only about 15 minutes for connection. Will I make it? Will DL in LAX come up with an alternative flight? Spouse and I are using upgrades (M fare) and non-stop AF to CDG is currently unavailable. </font>
Old Jan 8, 2002, 12:39 pm

15 minutes is plenty of time at CVG. You'll arrive in concourse B and depart from around the middle of B concourse. (2-3 minutes walk)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
In a couple of weeks will be flying DL 810 connecting to DL 44. Have recently been monitoring those flights. 810 has been consistently running late, thus allowing only about 15 minutes for connection. Will I make it? Will DL in LAX come up with an alternative flight? Spouse and I are using upgrades (M fare) and non-stop AF to CDG is currently unavailable. </font>
Old Jan 8, 2002, 1:34 pm

Remember that you want to try to be there before the 10 minute cutoff....so only 5 minutes to dash through the B concourse.

Just reread your post....depending on where the flights arrive/depart, you should have no problem or a serious problem. I'm sure someone can elaborate.

[This message has been edited by a330300 (edited 01-08-2002).]
Old Jan 8, 2002, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Flt 810 sked to dept. LAX 11:05 am
arr: CVG 6:08 PM
Flt 44 sked dept. Cvg 7:00 PM
That's great if outbound from lax is on time. Yesterday, 810 arrived Cvg B05 at 7:03 Pm. 44 departed B19 at 7:32 PM
Old Jan 8, 2002, 2:27 pm

Barring any major problems, I doubt you'll have a problem. It should be a quick walk down the hall. From FC you'll be off the plane quickly and on your way. Flight 44 often leaves a few minutes late anyway. Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip.

You can look up on-time summary data here. Courtesy of USDOT.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Flt 810 sked to dept. LAX 11:05 am
arr: CVG 6:08 PM
Flt 44 sked dept. Cvg 7:00 PM
That's great if outbound from lax is on time. Yesterday, 810 arrived Cvg B05 at 7:03 Pm. 44 departed B19 at 7:32 PM
</font>
As you noted above, inbound late, outbound also late. No problem. They do look at where the connections are coming from 98% of time and will hold the seat knowing you are "in the system". At the same time, I have seen people get off the plane, take their time to get situated, go to the bathroom, stop for food, call home, get a gift and then wonder why the airline gave up and left without them. Walk directly to the plane and you will be fine. They will be looking for you, especially since the bag team will be loading your bags as well.

Chances are, there could be someone else on the same flight trying to make the connection, and will be a few minutes later since they are in coach. You are in fine shape. Let us know how you did.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 3:44 pm

Funny you mention it. Last month I flew LAX-CVG-LGW on the same flight LAX-CVG that you are booked on, with LGW having about the same departure time as CDG. We arrived just a couple minutes late, and I had plenty of time to cool my heels at the CRC before heading to the gate. Never assume your flight will be late.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I have flown LAX-CVG on DL 810 and then on to LGW several times with tight connections. One time, the boarding door for DL 810 opened in CVG at 5 minutes prior to departure time of the CVG-LGW. Not only did I make it, but a guy in the baggage handling team had come on board and was greating me personally to tell me that my luggage had made it. I know I was flying BE, but I was truly impressed that 1) my bag beat me to the airplane on the connection, and 2) that they actually sought me out to tell me this. After he walked off, they closed the door and we were on our way.
Old Jan 8, 2002, 8:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
With DAL you never know what you are going to get. About a year ago I was scheduled to fly SLC-ATL-AMS. The SLC-ATL flight was cancelled and they put me on a later trip which would have given me a :30 min connection to AMS. That flight was a little late. I ran like hell, caught the train to the Int'l terminal got to the gate just at scheduled departure time. The wouldn't let me on even though the jetway was still attached. I watched as it pulled away a few minutes later. I was "in the system" but it didn't matter. The agent said he never thought I'd make it. Had to wait two hours and go through LGW. I was not a happy camper.

Then last summer I was going SLC-CVG-LGW. We were ontime into CVG. #36 was loaded up and ready to go ontime as well when it was announced that they were going to wait for your illustrious flight 810 from LA as they had three connections. We sat for forty minutes, then the door closed and we left. No one got on. I overheard the agent say to the lead F/A that it turned out the "three connections" had missed the flight from LA and they had just realized it. Go figure.

On the return from that trip I was scheduled LGW-ATL-SLC. Long story short, all dressed up and ready to go in LGW - ontime - and the bird suddenly goes "hors de combat". We wait, strapped in for two hours. Bird suddenly revives, we leave, go to ATL. Naturally I now have eleven, count 'em, ELEVEN minutes to clear immigration and customs, get the ##$@*&!! train, change concourses and run 3/4th's the way down it to get my SLC flight.

I do.

Show up at the domestic gate, agent says "how the hell did you get here, ....we gave your seat away." I am livid, "well" I said, "I am here and I want it back. It was YOUR fault I almost didn't get here..." He looked at me as if I was from Mars, mumbled something, talked to the Red Coat, went on the plane, pulled a non-rev off, I got on and we left....ontime.

I don't know if it was the fact that I'm a Lifetime Medallion Million Miler, or that I had a full fare Business elite ticket that did it, but something worked.

Good Luck
Old Jan 8, 2002, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if it was the fact that I'm a Lifetime Medallion Million Miler, or that I had a full fare Business elite ticket that did it, but something worked

Thanks-- wonder what your options were if you were just a plain old Platinum?
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Connection times CVG

I am flying on a Thursday and have 2 choices:

SAT-CVG arrives 6:20PM and connects to ORD bound flight at 6:50PM or 8:45PM

The 30 minute connection time seems a bit close to me. Hopefully if we were to miss the connection we could just be put on the 8:45PM flight.

But, if we book the 8:45 to play it safe most likely we couldn't stand by for the 6:50 because we wouldn't get to the gate in time and luggage would be an issue?

Which would you choose? I have not flown out of CVG very many times and don't remember the set up. TIA for any suggestions.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 11:06 pm

mainline connection in CVG are all quick - probably 15 minute brisk walk for absolute worst case, 5 - 10 typical. if 1 flight is Comair allow an extra 15 - 20 minutes for shuttle bus.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
If you have checked luggage, you will not be allowed to standby for the earlier flight. If you book the earlier flight and miss the connection, they will protect you on the later flight unless it is sold out, so call and ask.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 11:25 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
30 minutes should be fine in CVG. I've done Concourse C to Concourse A in less time than that with no problems. However, any delay inbound is going to eat that small connection up. You will almost certainly be protected on the next flight in the event of a misconnect as long as it's not sold out. Also, the CRCs in CVG are terrific places to spend an hour or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.