Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by bmcguir2
Just wanted to add another voice to the party.

Flew a brand-spanking new (we were the 3rd or 4th segment) 737 the other day from DTW-LAX.

As a PM, I was 17th of 35+ on the UG list for 3 seats. The chap next to me was a 15 year-straight PM, and there were several others around us. There were no empty seats that I could see. Clearly, this was not a route to be flying a new NB 737. DL seems to be really pushing to eliminate as many flights as possible and squeeze as many Medallions into the back as possible, which is disappointing.

But I digress. I sat in 20D, an exit row aisle seat in the row with only aisle and middle (no window). The exit row in front of me had three across.

I would recommend avoiding this row (20) at all costs if you think you are in for extra leg room. There was none - I'm 5'10" and my knees were in the back of the seat in front of me the entire flight. At least, I sincerely hope there is no extra legroom in this room, as that would mean that standard Y was a nightmare to ride in.

The new entertainment system was nice, but as I've pointed out before, even after sitting through several minutes of mandatory commercials (you couldn't turn the screen off), I was randomly presented with 30+ second, huge advertisements while simply navigating the interface. This really is unacceptable in general, but it's even worse as a Medallion. This isn't making me feel like a valued customer in the slightest.
Flying this route/bird Friday. I was looking forward to it, but today's posts have me; shall we say, apprehensive?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL FO
So do we know for sure that the bulkhead in front of 10ABC is just a curtain?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
Yes...20F, 28EC, 151YC...FC seats make up 10% of all seats -- in line with the rest of Delta's domestic fleet.
Chris,

This bad news probably deserves it's own thread!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hoth300
So do we know for sure that the bulkhead in front of 10ABC is just a curtain?
Based on pictures I found online, yes it is just a curtain.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by rylan
Based on pictures I found online, yes it is just a curtain.
Yes front row EC left side open to 1st. Right has closet / bulkhead. Photos here from inaugural flight Friday.

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...el-experience/

Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Chris_DeltaCustExp,

So, which 757-200s will be remaining in the fleet (other than the 75Es)? Will it be the aircraft that I mentioned in my previous post built in 1995 or later (N686DA, N687DL-N699DL, ships 6700-6717 [N6700 to N67171], N900PC, and all of the ex-Northwest 5600 series)?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Note while the first row ABC side of EC has extra legroom due to the curtain, the first row of DEF side looks cramped.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM

But I digress. I sat in 20D, an exit row aisle seat in the row with only aisle and middle (no window). The exit row in front of me had three across.

I would recommend avoiding this row (20) at all costs if you think you are in for extra leg room. There was none - I'm 5'10" and my knees were in the back of the seat in front of me the entire flight. At least, I sincerely hope there is no extra legroom in this room, as that would mean that standard Y was a nightmare to ride in.
Thanks, I've been wondering about this for an upcoming flight. Did row 19 look any better?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Thanks, I've been wondering about this for an upcoming flight. Did row 19 look any better?
Indeed. The taller folks in front of me seemed to sit comfortably without their knees browsing SkyMall.

Of course, there's no getting around the extra-slim seat widths regardless...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
The new entertainment system was nice, but as I've pointed out before, even after sitting through several minutes of mandatory commercials (you couldn't turn the screen off), I was randomly presented with 30+ second, huge advertisements while simply navigating the interface. This really is unacceptable in general, but it's even worse as a Medallion. This isn't making me feel like a valued customer in the slightest.
The blasting of commercials is the thing that will drive me away for good. They've added one extra commercial to the set after take-off (or on taxi), increased the volume from irritating to intolerable, and then on my most recent flight, they blasted another one just before landing.

Do AA or UA blast commercials into the cabin? I haven't taken their big birds recently, just RJs. I need to find an international J carrier that doesn't bring me out in hives with this abomination.

I've gone from liking to hating Delta in the last year or so.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
The blasting of commercials is the thing that will drive me away for good. They've added one extra commercial to the set after take-off (or on taxi), increased the volume from irritating to intolerable, and then on my most recent flight, they blasted another one just before landing.

Do AA or UA blast commercials into the cabin? I haven't taken their big birds recently, just RJs. I need to find an international J carrier that doesn't bring me out in hives with this abomination.

I've gone from liking to hating Delta in the last year or so.
Really? A few minutes of commercials bother you that much? If they're really loud, that's one thing. And I'm sure Chris wants to know that. But let's save the outrage for real indignations. At worst, the commercials are a minor annoyance.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Chris_DeltaCustExp,

I've pre-purchased a Wi-Fi pass for my upcoming flight this Friday. I chose this flight weeks ago, with the assumption that WiFi would be available. Now, 3 days out, I'm told I will not have WiFi? This is going to cause a significant issue for me, as I took the earlier flight (during normal business hours) only because I "knew" I could check in with the office while airborne. Had I known of this issue, I would have chosen a later flight.

To say I'm disappointed is a significant understatement.

Regards,
NapaPat
Have you tried to call DL, explain the situation, and ask to be rebooked onto flights with wifi? This would seem reasonable if DL is advertising wifi on all domestic mainline flights or if your flight had the wifi icon when you purchased the ticket.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I flew in F (3C) today DTW-SFO in a new 737-900ER.

Let me just say... this was a big disappointment. There were some niceties such as two very visible and accessible power plugs low but in the middle of the seats in front of me. There was a USB port that recharged my phone on the way as well as a headphone jack both somewhat under the large LCD screen in the seat back in front of me. The problem was the jerk in front of me who reclined his seat back as soon as the wheels were off the ground. The screen itself does not tilt so you are looking at it at a weird angle if the seat is reclined. There was no WiFi (despite being advertised as such) because it had not been installed yet. What idiot allowed the plane to leaving Boeing without having the WiFi equipment installed before putting the plane into service? Even if GoGo is paying for it, someone should be worrying about getting all that done before it goes into service.

The lavatory in F is incredibly tiny. It was almost impossible to turn around let alone try to adjust you pants, belt, etc. unless you're a bean pole. The flight attendant call button and the flush button are small and poorly marked. Without reading glasses, I could not tell what they did so I hit the FA call button thinking it was the flush button. Who takes their reading glasses into the lav?

In order to squeeze all those seats in the plane, there are no full size carts to serve the coach beverage service. As such, the FAs would run out of supplies and have to come back to the front galley (or the rear galley) and get more sodas, etc. The FAs were based on SFO and had flown the plane into DTW today and then turned around and flew it back to SFO. It was their first time on the plane and they hated it.

I didn't get a chance to wander back into Y so I can't comment on the seat pitch there but I can say the F seat pitch wasn't anything special. I can say, the seat comfort was horrible, even in F. An old 757 coach seat didn't leave me with the back pain this plane's F seat did.

Despite the new bins, the first bin on each side (over 1AB and 1CD) are small just like on the other 737s because the body of the plane starts to taper in. As such, you can't put a rollaboard into them wheels or handles first. We, of course, ran out of room for carry-ons. As I was sitting on the aisle, I did not see anyone bringing on anything that looked oversize. There are just too many seats for the number of overhead compartments.

All in all, despite the "new car smell," I'd call it a good plane by Boeing ruined by Delta's attempt to "squeeze every inch" out of the plane.
DL is preparing for its merger with RyanAir.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold

This is bad news but good information as I had 20D booked over the holidays. How can they make such a shallow exit row? Weird that row 19 (as you said in a subsequent post) would have more room... Sadly, they don't recline in row 19.

The 739 and 757 to-be-modded reports are getting more grim.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
This is bad news but good information as I had 20D booked over the holidays. How can they make such a shallow exit row? Weird that row 19 (as you said in a subsequent post) would have more room... Sadly, they don't recline in row 19.

The 739 and 757 to-be-modded reports are getting more grim.
It's a trend that started when DL ripped that fourth row of FC out of the PMNW A319s, followed by the PMNW A320s. Yet at the same time, a few FC seats were being added to some of the DL MDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.